Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers netstat error(getnameinfo failed) Post 302292485 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 28th of February 2009 05:27:31 AM
Old 02-28-2009
Is your dns server down?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

netstat error

Hi all, recently on my Sun Solaris 8 server this error message appeared:$ netstat -i > ip open: Permission denied > can't open mib stream: Bad file number > The server was rebooted recently and this error has only popped up since then. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerwhelan
2 Replies

2. AIX

Error - Symbol Resolution Failed

Hi All, I am trying to run sqlplus on my AIX 5L box but following errors are thrown: $ sqlplus exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program sqlplus because of the following errors: 0509-130 Symbol resolution failed for /usr/lib/libc.a because: 0509-136 Symbol kaio_rdwr64 (number 0)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capturing failed FTP error

Hi All, Please check the below ftp related job, which is deleting the files from remote host. Problem is it is not capturing the ftp failure error, and the exit status is still '0' eventhough the deletable files are not present in remote location OR ftp credential are incorrect. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Reserve Failed error for HD

Hi Guys, Anybody come across this error when formating a harddisk. "Reserved Failed" Supected hardisk failure, is my assumption correct. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigmoon
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

Compilation failed error

Hi, I have installed automake in one of HP-UX boxes using swinstall command. But when i issue automake it gives the following error message. Can't locate loadable object for module IO in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/share/automake-1.10 /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/PA-RISC2.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrisanto_2000
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Pla help - urgent-netstat error--- cant open mib stream

Hi, When i type netstat command as normal user it shows following error $ netstat arp open: Permission denied can't open mib stream I can execute the command as root user.. Pls reply at the earliest (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vadivukumar
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nestat error (getnameinfo failed)

# netstat -a > /test/a getnameinfo failed getnameinfo failed getnameinfo failed getnameinfo failed getnameinfo failed command is working fine (as i get output in file /test/a) # dig -x 10.xxx.xxx.xxx ; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> -x 10.203.xxx.xxx ;; global... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TCP failed connection attempts from netstat -s

Dear experts, I am seeing a lot of TCP failed connection attempts from "netstat -s" on one of our servers. How can I pin point what connection failed and what are the ports involved? Any tools/commands I can dig in deeper to diag. what went wrong on these "failed connection attempts"? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cache51
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Cygwin X Server error: xdmcp fatal error session failed session 23 failed for display

Hi, i got the following error when i tried to access the cygwin x server from a windows XP PC. "xdmcp fatal error session failed session 23 failed for display" Alternatively, when i tried to access the same Cygwin X Server from another windows XP PC which is on a different LAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HarishKumarM
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Authentication error; why = Failed (unspecified error)

I have two servers with a fresh install of Solaris 11, and having problems when doing rpcinfo between them. There is no firewall involved, so everything should theoretically be getting through. Does anyone have any ideas? I did a lot of Google searches, and haven't found a working solution yet. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
2 Replies
SOCKADDR_SNPRINTF(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				      SOCKADDR_SNPRINTF(3)

NAME
sockaddr_snprintf -- formatting function for socket address structures LIBRARY
System Utilities Library (libutil, -lutil) SYNOPSIS
#include <util.h> int sockaddr_snprintf(char *buf, size_t buflen, const char *fmt, const struct sockaddr *sa); DESCRIPTION
The sockaddr_snprintf() function formats a socket address into a form suitable for printing. This function is convenient because it is protocol independent, i.e. one does not need to know the address family of the sockaddr in order to print it. The printf(3) like format string specifies how the address is going to be printed. Some formatting characters are only supported by some address families. If a certain formatting character is not supported, then the string ``N/A'' is printed. The resulting formatted string is placed into buf. Up to buflen characters are placed in buf. The following formatting characters are supported (immediately after a percent ('%') sign): a The node address portion of the socket address is printed numerically. For AF_INET the address is printed as: ``A.B.C.D'' and for AF_INET6 the address is printed as: ``A:B...[%if]'' using getnameinfo(3) internally with NI_NUMERICHOST. For AF_APPLETALK the address is printed as: ``A.B'' For AF_LOCAL (AF_UNIX) the address is printed as: ``socket-path'' For AF_LINK the address is printed as: ``a.b.c.d.e.f'' using link_ntoa(3), but the interface portion is skipped (see below). For AF_UNSPEC nothing is printed. A The symbolic name of the address is printed. For AF_INET and AF_INET6 this is the hostname associated with the address. For all other address families, it is the same as the ``a'' format. f The numeric value of the family of the address is printed. l The length of the socket address is printed. p For AF_INET, AF_INET6, and AF_APPLETALK the numeric value of the port portion of the address is printed. P For AF_INET and AF_INET6 this is the name of the service associated with the port number, if available. For all other address families, it is the same as the ``p'' format. I For AF_LINK addresses, the interface name portion is printed. F For AF_INET6 addresses, the flowinfo portion of the address is printed numerically. R For AF_APPLETALK addresses, the netrange portion of the address is printed as: ``phase:[firstnet,lastnet]'' S For AF_INET6 addresses, the scope portion of the address is printed numerically. ? If present between ``%'' and the format character, and the selected format does not apply to the given address family, the ``N/A'' string is elided and no output results. RETURN VALUES
The sockaddr_snprintf() function returns the number of characters that are required to format the value val given the format string fmt excluding the terminating NUL. The returned string in buf is always NUL-terminated. If the address family is not supported, sockaddr_snprintf() returns -1 and sets errno to EAFNOSUPPORT. For AF_INET and AF_INET6 addresses sockaddr_snprintf() returns -1 if the getnameinfo(3) conversion failed, and errno is set to the error value from getnameinfo(3). ERRORS
If the buffer buf is too small to hold the formatted output, sockaddr_snprintf() will still return the buffer, containing a truncated string. SEE ALSO
getaddrinfo(3), getnameinfo(3), link_ntoa(3), snprintf(3) HISTORY
The sockaddr_snprintf() first appeared in NetBSD 3.0. BUGS
The sockaddr_snprintf() interface is experimental and might change in the future. There is no way to specify different formatting styles for particular addresses. For example it would be useful to print AF_LINK addresses as ``%.2x:%.2x...'' instead of ``%x.%x...'' This function is supposed to be quick, but getnameinfo(3) might use system calls to convert the scope number to an interface name and the ``A'' and ``P'' format characters call getaddrinfo(3) which may block for a noticeable period of time. Not all formatting characters are supported by all address families and printing ``N/A'' is not very convenient. The ``?'' character can suppress this, but other formatting (e.g., spacing or punctuation) will remain. BSD
April 9, 2005 BSD