Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ls exclude pattern
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ls exclude pattern Post 302285194 by Corona688 on Saturday 7th of February 2009 06:22:27 PM
Old 02-07-2009
try 'echo *.html', it will do the same thing, since you're doing shell globbing, which isn't a feature of ls at all. shell globbing will fail if there are too many files in the directory, and shell globbing can't filter in reverse like that. grep works for an arbitrary amount of data and can filter in reverse.

Code:
# See all files ending in .html
ls | grep "\.html$"
# see all files not ending in .html
ls | grep -v "\.html$"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - to exclude lines beginning with pattern

11132 13069 11137 11142 13070 Can I use grep command to exclude all lines beginning with 13? I dont want to use grep -v 13 as potentially there will be a number with something like 11013 that I would exclude in error.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exclude columns with a matching line pattern

Hi , I have 5 columns total and am wanting to search lines in columns 3-5 and basically grep -v patterns that match 'BBB_0123' 'BVG_0895' 'BSD_0987' Does anyone know how to do this? I tried combining grep -v with grep -e but, it didn't work. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: greptastic
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining

I am trying to do some thing like this .. In a file , if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining of the line containing the pattern. example: in a file I have this. gtrow0unit1/gctunit_crrownorth_stage5_outnet_feedthru_pin if i find feedthru_pin want to insert !! at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression to exclude pattern

Hi All I am using regular expressions to determine how to group certain data. I've included an example of the data below. USD_SPTR_2Y_725.5_PUT_EUROPEAN_09Q1|USD||European| CAD_NDX_10Yx1Y_5.5_PUT_EUROPEAN_09Q1|CAD||European| The regular expressions I am using is as follows and this is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
5 Replies

5. Programming

Using sql like to choose a pattern and exclude a pattern

Hi, I am writing an sql query in which i have to choose only that url that are from particular host but are not zip files. something like: select * from mytable where url like '%myhost%' and url not like '%zip%' Is there a simple way to combine these two condition into one? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

[Solved] Using Find with an exclude/exclude file

I am familiar with using tar and exclude/include files: tar zcf backup.dirs.tgz --files-from=include.mydirs --exclude-from=exclude.mydirs --no-recursion but was wondering if I could use find in the same way. I know that you can just specify the directories to exclude but my list is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match Pattern after certain pattern and Print words next to Pattern

Hi experts , im new to Unix,AWK ,and im just not able to get this right. I need to match for some patterns if it matches I need to print the next few words to it.. I have only three such conditions to match… But I need to print only those words that comes after satisfying the first condition..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Pattern - exclude directories

All, I am trying delete folder by adding pattern not to delete certain folders. But i struck with error. When i use below command from command line, it works fine. shopt -s extglob rm -rf !(test1|test2|test3) But when i use the same in shell script, i get the below error. syntax... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)