Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers About read,write & execute permissons of a directory Post 302281537 by vishwasrao on Thursday 29th of January 2009 04:41:06 AM
Old 01-29-2009
Bug About read ,write,execute permissons of directory

Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Read: owner/group/other may list the directory contents
Write: owner/group/other may create new entries
eXecute: owner/group/other may chdir into directory

HTH
Hi pludi,
thanks for ur reply.But i think it is necessary to have read permisson to directory before write it .i mean if u give write permisson to directory & not read permisson will it work?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

read, write & STDOUT_FILENO....

hi guys, I'have a question 4 u. Why this code give me the right output (an integer on the stdout): read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); printf("%d\n",mpid); Instead this code give me only a blank line: read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); write(STDOUT_FILENO,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: M3xican
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File read & execute problem

Hi folks, Need your help. I am writing a KSH script to read a few commands from a file & execute. I am using the following code to read the file line by line & excute each command. When I am printing each line I see it is printing properly but while excuting, the particular "ps" command... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

3. Programming

Problem with read & write

Hello mates: I met problem with using read() & write(). I m trying to use read twice on client first time is the size of buffer, 2nd time is the buffer. I think I have to, coz I dnot know file size. So, I write twice on server as well -- 1st, filesize; 2nd, buffer. The problem is, sometimes,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: EltonSky
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Default read/write/execute permissions

I am perplexed that my script execution is not always consistent in creating new files. Specifically, my group read/write/execute permissions. For instance, take a look at the following: -rw-rw---- 1 jg dp 18648 Aug 22 10:06 nx081508.txt -rw-rw---- 1 jg dp 22422 Aug 22 10:06... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joeyg
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about difference between read & execute permisson for directory.

Hi all, I want to know what is difference between read & execute permission for a directory. Thanx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Read & Write on different directories

Hi, root@server] df -h 121G 14G 101G 12% /home 147G 126G 14G 91% /backup We having our site files and images are storing in /backup/home/user/files/ through symbolic link created in /home directory pointing in /backup directory as following. root@server] cd /home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP read large string & split in multidimensional arrays & assign fieldnames & write into MYSQL

Hi, I hope the title does not scare people to look into this thread but it describes roughly what I'm trying to do. I need a solution in PHP. I'm a programming beginner, so it might be that the approach to solve this, might be easier to solve with an other approach of someone else, so if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check read/write/execute permission for 'others'

I want to check access rights permissions not for 'user', not for 'group', but for 'others'. I want to do it by system command in which i want to use 'ls -l' and 'awk' command. I have written the following program : #!/usr/bin/local/perl #include <stdlib.h> system ("ls -l | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhamsachdeva
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MAN and read & write function

How to use MAN to find information about read() and write() function ? The command "man read" show some rubbish, for example "man open" show great information about function I need. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbqtoss
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find list of files missing read & execute permission

Hi, I'm writing a post-upgrade script and I want to find which files don't have read and execute to everyone. I can run a find . ! -perm, but then I have to use a list of the possible permissions (777,775, 755 etc). Is there a more elegant solution? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Catullus
2 Replies
install(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					       install(1B)

NAME
install - install files SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/install [-cs] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] filename1 filename2 /usr/ucb/install [-cs] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] filename... directory /usr/ucb/install -d [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory DESCRIPTION
install is used within makefiles to copy new versions of files into a destination directory and to create the destination directory itself. The first two forms are similar to the cp(1) command with the addition that executable files can be stripped during the copy and the owner, group, and mode of the installed file(s) can be given. The third form can be used to create a destination directory with the required owner, group and permissions. Note: install uses no special privileges to copy files from one place to another. The implications of this are: o You must have permission to read the files to be installed. o You must have permission to copy into the destination file or directory. o You must have permission to change the modes on the final copy of the file if you want to use the -m option to change modes. o You must be superuser if you want to specify the ownership of the installed file with -o. If you are not the super-user, or if -o is not in effect, the installed file will be owned by you, regardless of who owns the original. OPTIONS
-c Copy files. In fact install always copies files, but the -c option is retained for backwards compatibility with old shell scripts that might otherwise break. -d Create a directory. Missing parent directories are created as required as in mkdir -p. If the directory already exists, the owner, group and mode will be set to the values given on the command line. -s Strip executable files as they are copied. -g group Set the group ownership of the installed file or directory. (staff by default.) -m mode Set the mode for the installed file or directory. (0755 by default.) -o owner If run as root, set the ownership of the installed file to the user-ID of owner. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), chmod(1), chown(1), cp(1), mkdir(1), strip(1), install(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 install(1B)