Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers About read,write & execute permissons of a directory Post 302281501 by vishwasrao on Thursday 29th of January 2009 03:17:54 AM
Old 01-29-2009
Bug About read,write & execute permissons of a directory

Hi all,
I want to know differences between read,write & execute permissons given to directory.
Thanx in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

read, write & STDOUT_FILENO....

hi guys, I'have a question 4 u. Why this code give me the right output (an integer on the stdout): read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); printf("%d\n",mpid); Instead this code give me only a blank line: read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); write(STDOUT_FILENO,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: M3xican
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File read & execute problem

Hi folks, Need your help. I am writing a KSH script to read a few commands from a file & execute. I am using the following code to read the file line by line & excute each command. When I am printing each line I see it is printing properly but while excuting, the particular "ps" command... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

3. Programming

Problem with read & write

Hello mates: I met problem with using read() & write(). I m trying to use read twice on client first time is the size of buffer, 2nd time is the buffer. I think I have to, coz I dnot know file size. So, I write twice on server as well -- 1st, filesize; 2nd, buffer. The problem is, sometimes,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: EltonSky
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Default read/write/execute permissions

I am perplexed that my script execution is not always consistent in creating new files. Specifically, my group read/write/execute permissions. For instance, take a look at the following: -rw-rw---- 1 jg dp 18648 Aug 22 10:06 nx081508.txt -rw-rw---- 1 jg dp 22422 Aug 22 10:06... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joeyg
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about difference between read & execute permisson for directory.

Hi all, I want to know what is difference between read & execute permission for a directory. Thanx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Read & Write on different directories

Hi, root@server] df -h 121G 14G 101G 12% /home 147G 126G 14G 91% /backup We having our site files and images are storing in /backup/home/user/files/ through symbolic link created in /home directory pointing in /backup directory as following. root@server] cd /home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP read large string & split in multidimensional arrays & assign fieldnames & write into MYSQL

Hi, I hope the title does not scare people to look into this thread but it describes roughly what I'm trying to do. I need a solution in PHP. I'm a programming beginner, so it might be that the approach to solve this, might be easier to solve with an other approach of someone else, so if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check read/write/execute permission for 'others'

I want to check access rights permissions not for 'user', not for 'group', but for 'others'. I want to do it by system command in which i want to use 'ls -l' and 'awk' command. I have written the following program : #!/usr/bin/local/perl #include <stdlib.h> system ("ls -l | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhamsachdeva
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MAN and read & write function

How to use MAN to find information about read() and write() function ? The command "man read" show some rubbish, for example "man open" show great information about function I need. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbqtoss
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find list of files missing read & execute permission

Hi, I'm writing a post-upgrade script and I want to find which files don't have read and execute to everyone. I can run a find . ! -perm, but then I have to use a list of the possible permissions (777,775, 755 etc). Is there a more elegant solution? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Catullus
2 Replies
CHMOD(2)							System Calls Manual							  CHMOD(2)

NAME
chmod - change mode of file SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> int chmod(const char *path, mode_t mode) DESCRIPTION
The file whose name is given by path has its mode changed to mode. Modes are constructed by or'ing together some combination of the fol- lowing, defined in <sys/stat.h>: S_ISUID 04000 set user ID on execution S_ISGID 02000 set group ID on execution S_ISVTX 01000 `sticky bit' (see below) S_IRWXU 00700 read, write, execute by owner S_IRUSR 00400 read by owner S_IWUSR 00200 write by owner S_IXUSR 00100 execute (search on directory) by owner S_IRWXG 00070 read, write, execute by group S_IRGRP 00040 read by group S_IWGRP 00020 write by group S_IXGRP 00010 execute (search on directory) by group S_IRWXO 00007 read, write, execute by others S_IROTH 00004 read by others S_IWOTH 00002 write by others S_IXOTH 00001 execute (search on directory) by others If mode ISVTX (the `sticky bit') is set on a directory, an unprivileged user may not delete or rename files of other users in that direc- tory. (Minix-vmd) Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change the mode. Writing or changing the owner of a file turns off the set-user-id and set-group-id bits unless the user is the super-user. This makes the system somewhat more secure by protecting set-user-id (set-group-id) files from remaining set-user-id (set-group-id) if they are modified, at the expense of a degree of compatibility. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Chmod will fail and the file mode will be unchanged if: [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] The path name exceeds PATH_MAX characters. [ENOENT] The named file does not exist. [EACCES] Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. (Minix-vmd) [EPERM] The effective user ID does not match the owner of the file and the effective user ID is not the super-user. [EROFS] The named file resides on a read-only file system. [EFAULT] Path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), open(2), chown(2), stat(2). NOTES
The sticky bit was historically used to lock important executables into memory. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 13, 1986 CHMOD(2)