Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check the mail permissions Post 302280131 by zaxxon on Monday 26th of January 2009 04:58:31 AM
Old 01-26-2009
Usually this has nothing to do with permissions. Maybe contact your mail server admin and also check the mail logs. Most time it will tell more thatn "could not be delivered". Also this has nothing to do with Shell Scripting so why in this board Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep - check the permissions of the file searched

What I need to do is: I need to use the grep command to search for pattern in directory and sub-directories. And also I need to show the permission of file been seached by the grep command. Could any one please suggest me? ----------------- $> cat file1.txt A -----------------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johny001
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if user has read permissions

hi all, i have a script (ksh) which reads data from log files, how do i check to see if the user which is executing the script has read permissions to the file ? thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check file permissions from a script.

hello, I have to write a script to run the other script inside it.So iam planning to write like this? first check the perimissions of the file. Alogorthim ---------- if(!filepermissions == execute) then echo" Permissions denined" else execute the script. file name is : load_mf.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the permissions linux user

i have some question for example: suppose we have the Public folder as follows: https://www.unix.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2759&stc=1&d=1334070669 If the user enter: -Kenshin or /home/kenshin/Public output: abc: kenshin: rw my shell: echo "Enter User:" read user ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingkner
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Check the permissions user

i have some question for example: suppose we have the Public folder as follows: https://www.unix.com/attachments/shell-programming-scripting/2759d1334070669-check-permissions-linux-user-capture.png If user enter: -Kenshin or /home/kenshin/Public output: abc: kenshin: rw my shell:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingkner
1 Replies

6. Programming

To check the file permissions using python scripting

Hi, For a particular set of files, am trying to check if they are writable. i.e., checking whether they are having permissions greater than 755. Am able to check this using the statement: "if (os.path.isfile(FILE_PATH) and (os.stat(FILE_PATH).st_mode & 0777) == 0777):" But the problem here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check the file permissions using python scripting

Hi, For a particular set of files, am trying to check if they are writable. i.e., checking whether they are having permissions greater than 755. Am able to check this using the statement: "if (os.path.isfile(FILE_PATH) and (os.stat(FILE_PATH).st_mode & 0777) == 0777):" But the problem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to check when the permissions for the file got changed in AIX

Is there a way to check when the permissions for the file got changed in AIX IS there some file which logs all these details? Best regards, Vishal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check pending mail in mail queue

I know the command mailq can check the pending mail in mqueue , and also have another command to check POSIX mail queue in server , now I will regularly check the mqueue manually , it is time consuming , would advise the script that could help to check the mail queue , and then send the details to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the best way to check file permissions before moving files if needed?

Hello, I would like to know if it's a good practice to check the file permissions of the contents of a directory before moving them. For example: mv -- "$directory"/* "$directory"/.* "$directory"/..?* "$destination"The variables $directory and $destination contain the path to an existing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cacializ
6 Replies
FORWARD(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							FORWARD(5)

NAME
forward -- mail forwarding instructions DESCRIPTION
The .forward file contains a list of mail addresses or programs that the user's mail should be redirected to. If the file is not present, then no mail forwarding will be done. Mail may also be forwarded as the standard input to a program by prefixing the line with the normal shell pipe symbol (|). If arguments are to be passed to the command, then the entire line should be enclosed in quotes. For security rea- sons, the .forward file must be owned by the user the mail is being sent to, or by root, and the user's shell must be listed in /etc/shells. For example, if a .forward file contained the following lines: nobody@FreeBSD.org "|/usr/bin/vacation nobody" Mail would be forwarded to <nobody@FreeBSD.org> and to the program /usr/bin/vacation with the single argument nobody. If a local user address is prefixed with a backslash character, mail is delivered directly to the user's mail spool file, bypassing further redirection. For example, if user chris had a .forward file containing the following lines: chris@otherhost chris One copy of mail would be forwarded to chris@otherhost and another copy would be retained as mail for local user chris. FILES
$HOME/.forward The user's forwarding instructions. SEE ALSO
aliases(5), mailaddr(7), sendmail(8) BSD
July 2, 1996 BSD