Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nohup and background process
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users nohup and background process Post 302279225 by kukuruku on Thursday 22nd of January 2009 06:40:30 AM
Old 01-22-2009
Hi.
I restore this thread because i have question on the same theme.

I read that when running command in background with &, after logout it must terminate.
But i often run commands like "bzip .. &", then logout - and they don't terminate and continue to work as many time as they have to.

I want understand why?
Because, i think, i can use this ability in scripts some time and it won't work. May be i have to use nohup instead of & ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why the nohup-ed background process always is "stopped" ?

I let a script A call script B. I used nohup a.sh &>/tmp/log & In script A it calls B directly, without any redirecting or nohup or background. However A is always "Stopped", while B is running correctly. Anybody knows why? thanks! -----Post Update----- BTW, if I don't use nohup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meili100
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why the nohup-ed background process always is "stopped" ?

I let a script A call script B. I used nohup a.sh &>/tmp/log & In script A it calls B directly, without any redirecting or nohup or background. However A is always "Stopped", while B is running correctly. Anybody knows why? thanks! -----Post Update----- BTW, if I don't use nohup... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i execute nohup and background job inside the korn script for db2

load_cursor_stmt() { ls /db/admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor*.sql|while read file do echo "${file}" `nohup db2 -tvf "$file" \&` done }Error: ------- /admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor5.sql /db/admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor6.sql + read file + echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

6. Programming

Background (nohup * &) SSH command block possible?

Hello, I am trying to find a way to send several sequential commands via SSH to a remote box in a single command. Thoughts so far: 1) Can I put them into a function and call the function within the ssh command? e.g. ssh <targetserver> $(functionx) No - then it calls the function in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doonan_79
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop nohup which is working background

Please I have run a background script using nohup please tell me way to stop this. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup and background jobs

Hi All, Can someone help me in knowing the exact difference between nohup and &. The definition is quite clear but i only want to know if i run my job using & and in between i hung up my terminal. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uinx_addic
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out?

I have a question. I will be running a background process using nohup and & command at end. I want to send output to a file say myprocess.out. So will this command work? nohup myprocess.ksh > myprocess.out & Thanks in advance guys !!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
thread_terminate(9r)													      thread_terminate(9r)

NAME
thread_terminate - General: Prepares to stop or stops execution of the specified kernel thread SYNOPSIS
kern_return_t thread_terminate( thread_t thread_to_terminate ); ARGUMENTS
Specifies a pointer to the thread structure associated with the kernel thread that you want to terminate. This pointer was returned in a previous call to the kernel_isrthread or kernel_thread_w_arg routine. DESCRIPTION
The thread_terminate routine prepares to stop or permanently stops execution of the specified kernel thread. You created and started this kernel thread in a previous call to the kernel_isrthread or kernel_thread_w_arg routine. These routines return a pointer to the thread structure associated with the newly created and started kernel thread. Kernel modules use this pointer as a handle to identify the specific kernel thread that thread_terminate stops executing. Typically, a kernel thread terminates itself. However, one kernel thread can terminate another kernel thread. A kernel thread that termi- nates itself must call thread_halt_self immediately after the call to thread_terminate. The reason for this is that thread_terminate only prepares the self-terminating kernel thread to stop execution. The thread_halt_self routine completes the work needed to stop execution (by performing the appropriate cleanup work) of the self-terminating kernel thread. Specifically, the thread_terminate routine works as follows: For terminating other kernel threads The thread_terminate routine stops execution of the specified kernel thread, frees any resources associated with that kernel thread, and thus makes the kernel thread unavailable. To make the kernel thread available again, you need to create it by calling ker- nel_isrthread or kernel_thread_w_arg. A kernel thread terminates itself The thread_terminate routine prepares to stop execution of the kernel thread that needs to terminate itself. The thread_halt_self routine completes the work needed to stop execution of the self-terminating kernel thread by performing the appropriate cleanup work. After you call these routines, the self-terminating kernel thread becomes unavailable until you create it again by calling kernel_isrthread or kernel_thread_w_arg. NOTES
You do not need to terminate every kernel thread that you create. You should not terminate a kernel thread that is waiting for some event. The basic rule is that you should terminate only those kernel threads that you do not need anymore. For example, if a dynamically config- ured kernel module uses kernel threads, you should terminate them in the CFG_OP_UNCONFIGURE entry point of the loadable module's configure routine. The kernel threads are no longer needed after the module is unconfigured. Note that the thread_terminate routine (for kernel threads that terminate other kernel threads) not only permanently stops execution of the specified kernel thread, but it also frees any resources associated with that kernel thread; thus, this kernel thread can no longer be used. RETURN VALUES
Upon successfully terminating the specified kernel thread, thread_terminate returns the constant KERN_SUCCESS. If the thread structure pointer passed to the thread_to_terminate argument does not identify a valid kernel thread, thread_terminate returns the constant KERN_INVALID_ARGUMENT. On any other error, thread_terminate returns the constant KERN_FAILURE. SEE ALSO
Data Structures: thread(9s) Routines: kernel_isrthread(9r), kernel_thread_w_arg(9r), thread_halt_self(9r) thread_terminate(9r)