Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Same time ftp download in perl multiple sites. Post 302277427 by kofs79 on Friday 16th of January 2009 09:26:14 AM
Old 01-16-2009
Question Same time ftp download in perl multiple sites.

I currently have a perl script that have to retreive a single file from 20+ sites every 10 min. Right now it will ftp to site1 and download and continue up until site20. I am trying to get this to run all the ftp d/l at the same time. This is where I have my problem, I can't get it to work.

Sample of sam_sites.pl file :

AA|123.456.789.100|PASSWORD|Windows
BB|321.654.987.100|PASSWORD|Unix
CC|135.790.864.123|PASSWORD|Unix

Code from ret_sam.pl file :

#!/usr/bin/perl
use Net::FTP;
use Switch;
use threads;
use threads::shared;

$version = "0.00.0001";
$RETSAMC = `ps -ef | grep ret_sam | grep -v grep | wc -l`;
$RETSAMS = "/home/fox/SAM/RET_SAM_RUN";
$HOMEDIR = "/home/fox/SAM/sites/test";

open(SITES_F, "sam_sites.pl") || die ("Missing sam_sites.pl file!");
@site=<SITES_F>;
close(SITES_F);
$NLETNUM = scalar(@site);

foreach $location_n (@site)
{
chomp($location_n);
($s_name,$s_ip,$s_pwd,$s_sys)=split(/\|/,$location_n);
$thr = threads->create(\&ftp_go_and_get, $s_name, $s_ip, $s_pwd, $s_sys);
$thr->join();
}

sub ftp_go_and_get {
if (lc($_[3]) eq "windows"){
$f_user = "fox\@openfox";
$directory = "SAM";
} elsif (lc($_[3]) eq "unix"){
$f_user = "fox";
$directory = "/home/fox/SAM";
}
$ftp=Net::FTP->new($_[1],Timeout=>60) or $newerr=1;
push @ERRORS, "Can't ftp to $_[1]($_[0]): $!\n" if $newerr;
myerr() if $newerr;
print "Connected to $_[1]($_[0])\n";
$ftp->login("$f_user","$_[2]") or $newerr=1;
print "Trying to get in and grab file.\n";
push @ERRORS, "Can't login to $_[1]($_[0]): $!\n" if $newerr;
# $ftp->quit if $newerr;
myerr() if $newerr;
print "Logged in\n";
$ftp->cwd("$directory") or $newerr=1;
push @ERRORS, "Can't find a spot to take dump.\n" if $newerr;
myerr() if $newerr;
# $ftp->quit if $newerr;
#$f_size=$ftp->size("@_[0]") or $newerr=1;
#print "The size of this file is $f_size\n";
# push @ERRORS, "Can't get size of file.\n" if $newerr;
# myerr() if $newerr;
# $ftp->quit if $newerr;
@files=$ftp->get($_[0], "$HOMEDIR/$_[0]") or $newerr=1;
push @ERRORS, "Can't get file $_[0]\n" if $newerr;
myerr() if $newerr;
print "Got file for $_[0]\n";
foreach(@files) {
print "I took a dump in $_\n";
}
$ftp->quit;
}

sub myerr {
print "Error: \n";
print @ERRORS;
exit 0;
}

I am looking for any suggestions or constructive critism that can help me out here. Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

When a FTP download is completed

I receive files by FTP in an input directory. Every 10 seconds a process checks if some new file has arrived to the input directory and then the process moves them to another directory to be read by a second process. The problem is that there is no way to know if the download has finished... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Javi
11 Replies

2. HP-UX

Ftp Download Problem

FROM WINDOWS , WHILE GETTING DATA FROM HP-UNIX SERVER USING FTP, I AM ABLE TO GET DATA ONLY LESS THAN 4GB FILE, PLZ HELP ME HOW TO GET MORE MORE THAN 4GB FILE. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Corrupted Download with Net::FTP (perl)

Hello, I am trying to download several files from a remote FTP server using Net::FTP from within a perl script. The files download alright, except they appear to be corrupted. I know this because once after downloading, I use bzcat to pipe the files to a split command, and bzcat complains saying... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amcrisan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp multiple files at the same time

Hi All, I am using ncftpput in one of my c-shell script to upload files to a remote location. The source files keep coming continuosly and to upload each file ncftpput opens a new connection everytime. It means ncftp uploads the file1 than file2 than file3 .... There is gap 20-25 secs between... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sraj142
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please suggest the Sites for perl script beginners for better understanding

I am begginer to perl scripting, i like to learn all the functionality of the perl scrpting , Could you please help me on this :confused::confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jothi basu
2 Replies

6. Programming

Multiple sites running off same code

I m interested in making multiple websites, all with the same basic functionality but will have different designs or templates. is there a way they can all run off the same basic underlying code, but use different templates. what is the best method of doing this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AimyThomas
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp multiple files one at a time

Hi, I have a problem while ftp'ing zip files one after the other from linux source directory to a ftp host machine. here is the shell script: #!/bin/ksh dir=data/dir1/dir2 # this dir is linux source directory where zip files located. rmtdir='/home/' echo $dir for i in /$dir/*; do if ;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj78
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP download using perl script

Need assistance I have a script which i can download the files from ftp server using perl . But i want to download multiple files at a time #!/usr/bin/perl -w use Net::FTP; $ftp = Net::FTP->new("ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov"); $ftp->login('username', 'password'); $ftp->cwd("<dir>");... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read latest file name with a date and time and then download from FTP

Hi All, Please help. I have requirement to read the file / folder based on the latest date and download the file and folder. There will be files and folders in the location like 20140630-144422 20140630-144422.csv 20140707-182653 20140707-182653.csv 20140710-183153... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen Pandit
7 Replies
ftp::geturl(n)							    ftp client							    ftp::geturl(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ftp::geturl - Uri handler for ftp urls SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require ftp::geturl ?0.2.1? ::ftp::geturl url _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a command which wraps around the client side of the ftp protocol provided by package ftp to allow the retrieval of urls using the ftp schema. API
::ftp::geturl url This command can be used by the generic command ::uri::geturl (See package uri) to retrieve the contents of ftp urls. Internally it uses the commands of the package ftp to fulfill the request. The contents of a ftp url are defined as follows: file The contents of the specified file itself. directory A listing of the contents of the directory in key value notation where the file name is the key and its attributes the asso- ciated value. link The attributes of the link, including the path it refers to. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category ftp of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
ftpd, mime, pop3, smtp KEYWORDS
ftp, internet, net, rfc 959 CATEGORY
Networking ftp 0.2.1 ftp::geturl(n)