Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Keeping padding in a date field Post 302275830 by cfajohnson on Monday 12th of January 2009 09:38:13 AM
Old 01-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbyrne
Still having a problem though, i'm plugging the variable into a sed command and its still not padding the %e variable:

Code:
CURRENT_DATE="$(date +"%a %b %e")"

sed -n '/^"$CURRENT_DATE"/,$ p' /var/sean/errorlog.log > /tmp/tempfile.tmp

You are not plugging the variable into the sed command; you are giving it a literal string because it is within single quotes.

Code:
CURRENT_DATE=$(date +"%a %b %e")
sed -n "/^$CURRENT_DATE/,$ p" /var/sean/errorlog.log > /tmp/tempfile.tmp

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrange date in a field

Hi all, If I have a flat file ID|Location|Date|Hostname|Age|Sex 1|SFO|06/02/24 12:12:34|hawkeye|35|M 2|LAX|06/02/24 13:12:35|sf49ers|30|M 3|OAK|06/02/25 11:12:36|goraiders|27|F 4|PIT|06/02/25 12:12:37|steeler|35|M How can I create an output 1|SFO|02/24/2006 12:12:34|hawkeye|35|M... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling date field

Hi, Is there any way we could change the date format listed below... date I get is 03302007 (MMDDYYYY) I need to change it to 20070330 (YYYYMMDD) Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV formatting with prefixing, appending and padding field

Hi I have a very large csv file with some hundreds of thousands of rows of data. The data is in the following format: Up to four alpha numeric characters for the first word. This is either set as 2 characters followed by 2 spaces, or as a single 4character word. This is then followed by an 8... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: meself
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

date field manipulation

I have a data file. Seperated by "|". The 19 th filed is a date field that occurs like this 11/02/2001 i need to convert into the below format 2001-11-02 for e.g.. i/p o/p should be can somebody throw some light (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

change field 2 date format

from this input WEBELSOLAR,29122009,1:1 WIPRO,15062010,2:3 ZANDUREALT,18012007,1:3 i want output as WEBELSOLAR,20091229,1:1 WIPRO,20100615,2:3 ZANDUREALT,20070118,1:3 basically input is in ddmmyyyy format and i was to convert it to yyyymmdd format (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manishma71
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace date value with another value keeping all as is

Hi forum. How do I change the following date value with another value (while keeping the rest of the line) using sed? The date values can change so I need a general sed command to change the date value within the first quotation marks only. Date values will be coming from 2 different files.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a date field has date or timestamp or date&timestamp

Hi, In a field, I should receive the date with time stamp in a particular field. But sometimes the vendor sends just the date or the timestamp or correctl the date&timestamp. I have to figure out the the data is a date or time stamp or date&timestamp. If it is date then append "<space>00:00:00"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort, sed, and zero padding date column csv bash scripting

Hello people, I am having problem to sort, sed and zero padding of column in csv file. 7th column only. Input of csv file: 1,2,3,4,5,6,4/1/2010 12:00 AM,8 1,2,3,4,5,6,3/11/2010 9:39 AM,8 1,2,3,4,5,6,5/12/2011 3:43 PM,8 1,2,3,4,5,6,12/20/2009 7:23 PM,8 Output:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sean1357
5 Replies

9. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies
FAXCRON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							FAXCRON(8)

NAME
faxcron - HylaFAX routine maintenance script SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxcron [ -n ] [ -l lastrun ] DESCRIPTION
faxcron is a command script that does routine upkeep tasks in a HylaFAX spooling directory hierarchy. This script is intended to be invoked from cron(8) on behalf of the fax user (often the ``fax'' user is uucp) once a day, with the standard output sent by mail to the HylaFAX administrator. For example, the following crontab might be set up for the fax user: 25 23 * * * sh /usr/sbin/faxcron | mail FaxMaster The faxcron script does the following work: o report statistics for facsimile transmitted since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile transmitted in the past week. o report statistics for facsimile received since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile received in the past week. o report any recent calls that failed suspiciously and return the associated trace log; o purge data that is 30 days or older from the remote machine information directory; o delete information that is 30 days or older from session trace log files; o remove files from the tmp directory that are older than 1 day; o remove files in the received facsimile queue that are 7 days or older; o report sites that are currently having jobs rejected; and o force all session log files to be owned by the fax user and kept with protection mode 644. OPTIONS
-n Forces faxcron to run without updating any files. -l lastrun Forces the notion of the last time that faxcron was run to be lastrun. The value of lastrun is a date and time string of the form ``MM/DD/YY HH:MM'' (the date(1) format string ``%D %H:%M''). -info n Set the expiration time for data in the info database to be n days. -log n Set the expiration time for session log data to be n days. -rcv n Set the expiration time for files in the received facsimile queue to be n days. -tmp n Set the expiration time for files in the tmp directory to be n days. -mode m Set the file protection mode for session logs to m (a command line argument to chmod(1)). NOTES
This script requires nawk(1) or gawk(1) and a date (1) program that supports the ``+format'' option. If session logs are to be kept private this script must be modified to filter out sensitive information such as calling card numbers. (It should also be run with ``-mode 0600'' so that session log files are not publicly readable.) FILES
/var/spool/hylafax spooling area /var/spool/hylafax/status/lastrun timestamp of last run /usr/sbin/xferfaxstats for generating transmit statistics /usr/sbin/recvstats for generating receive statistics /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxcronXXXX temporary file for truncating session logs /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxlogXXXX temporary file for logs of failed calls SEE ALSO
cron(8), faxq(8), faxgetty(8), faxsend(8), xferfaxstats(8), recvstats(8), hylafax-server(5) May 12, 1996 FAXCRON(8)