Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to prevent grep command from throwing a system trap if No match is found. Post 302274821 by methyl on Thursday 8th of January 2009 12:42:20 PM
Old 01-08-2009
I agree with yegolev. Using trap in this way is unusual. ERR is only triggered if the last command in a pipeline fails. Also your script probably needs to append to the log rather than overwrite it. Here is an example:

#!/bin/ksh
trap 'echo "Trap fired";exit' ERR
ls server* 2>/dev/null 1>/dev/null # Fire trap if file is missing
#
(
ls server* | while read filename
do
grep "ABC" "${filename}"
done
) 2>&1 >> logfile.log

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I prevent cron from returning errors on a file not found?

find: /home/Upload/*: No such file or directory I am getting a find error when I run for FILE in `find /home/Upload/* -prune -type f -newer TIMEFILE` do I need to run this job every 10 minutes to upload any new files that were added. Is there an easy way to prevent this? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodmis
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and display n lines after the match is found.

Hello, How do I use grep to find a pattern in a list of file and then display 5 lines after the pattern is matched Eg: I want to match the string GetPresentCode in all files in a folder and then see 4 lines following this match. I am not sure if grep is what should be used to achieve. Thanks!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv_pan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

fetch last line no form file which is match with specific pattern by grep command

Hi i have a file which have a pattern like this Nov 10 session closed Nov 10 Nov 9 08:14:27 EST5EDT 2010 on tty . Nov 10 Oct 19 02:14:21 EST5EDT 2010 on pts/tk . Nov 10 afrtetryytr Nov 10 session closed Nov 10 Nov 10 03:21:04 EST5EDT 2010 Dec 8 Nov 10 05:03:02 EST5EDT 2010 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail script throwing an error "No recipient addresses found in header"

Hi, I am using following code to send an e-mail with attachment and body. echo "To: user1@mail.com,user2@mail.com" > mail.tmp echo "Cc: user3@mail.com,user4@mail.com" >> mail.tmp echo "From: group@mail.com" >> mail.tmp echo "Subject: my report" >> mail.tmp echo "please see as attached"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill a process if grep match is found

Hi, I need something unusual, I guess. I need to start a process, and if that process displays a specific error message, I need to kill that process and restart it. Something like: startprocess | grep -i "This is the specific error message" && kill $pidof(startprocess) Explanation, I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: burek
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk display the match and 2 lines after the match is found.

Hello, can someone help me how to find a word and 2 lines after it and then send the output to another file. For example, here is myfile1.txt. I want to search for "Error" and 2 lines below it and send it to myfile2.txt I tried with grep -A but it's not supported on my system. I tried with awk,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eurouno
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep everything between two pattern if match not found

I need to help to work this Print everything between 2 patterns if grep is not found the search word example Detroit orange cat bat rat apple sed -n "/Detroit,/apple/p" d |grep chicago output would be Detroit orange cat bat rat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - trap error file not found

Hello. In bash, is there a way to trap error "file not found" when a script call another script which is not found; then abort. Example ( part of script running with -x option set) : + return 0 + RETURN_CODE=0 + ] + /root/bin/200_yast_install/00_reset_yast_install bash:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to search a regular expression in a line an only print the string after the match

Hello, one step in a shell script i am writing, involves Grep command to search a regular expression in a line an only print the string after the match an example line is below /logs/GRAS/LGT/applogs/lgt-2016-08-24/2016-08-24.8.log.zip:2016-08-24 19:12:48,602 ERROR... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramneekgupta91
9 Replies
trap(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)