Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How do I set the block size in ZFS? Post 302274154 by sqa777 on Tuesday 6th of January 2009 10:57:03 PM
Old 01-06-2009
How do I set the block size in ZFS?

I was able to create a zpool and then created a zfs filesystem (BTW, thanks to all those who helped me get by the hard drive formatting issues I had posted here earlier).

I read that ZFS does variable block size, that is, a user can specify a blocksize, and if a file is smaller than the user specified blocksize, the file would be the smallest power of two between 512 bytes and the user specified blocksize.

Just how would I specify the blocksize? Is that an option I have to use in the zpool create command?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

validation: set field size to 6 digits

I'm curious, how would I set validation on a field size to make sure it only ever accepts a 6 digit number? I currently have validation for it to be an integer in place but can't find anywhere that says how to make it only a length of 6 digits. any tips on the function I should be focussing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nortypig
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set font size

can any one tell me how to set the font size in unix? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to set size in logrotate.conf

Hi,guys: recently,i am puzzled by a question .when i create a new file named by /etc/logrotate.d/debug. The cont. is listed as follow: /var/log/debug { rotate 3 missingok notifempty size=2k prerotate /bin/kill -HUP `cat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: icehero
0 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to set size of browser window in mwm?

Hi, When I launch firefox in mwm on VectorLinux 5.8, its window borders stretch just a bit beyond the screen size. My resolution is 800x600. How do I fix this issue so that it always stays within the screen when I launch it? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nixusr
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to set block size for CPIO in HPUX

Hi, One of our internal tool runs cpio command to archive certain files, but I receive an error as follows. CPIO Failure (operation would block) When i debugged, i assume that this an error due to block size.. My question are, How to find the block size in HP-UX?? How to set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vj8436
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to set VI editor column size on Solaris?

I am setting the size using "stty columns 120" . But I still get the prompt saying "terminal too wide " when I am in vi. is there any time limit for this setting? how to set the column size to 120 permanently? Thanks in advance, Devi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvkdevi
4 Replies

7. Solaris

ZFS : Can arc size value exceed Physical RAM ?

Hi, kstat -p -m zfs -n arcstats -s size returns zfs:0:arcstats:size 8177310584 this values is approx (7.61 GB) but my Physical Memory size is only 6144 Megabytes. Can this happen ? if yes, then how can I find free memory on the system. BTW, I ran the kstat commands from a Non... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapre_amit
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

About Block Size and Fragment Size

Accordingly a lot of manuals - if you have block size 8KB and trying to write a 1KB file to the block, as result you waste 7KB of the block space. But recently I noticed about Fragments of File Block. In same case if you have File Block 8KB and Fragment size 1KB - you can save your block space,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Zfs rpool size

Hi everyone, I am doing housekeeping of my Solaris 11 for zfs snapshot to reduce the snapshot size. I have already cleared the / file system, however the rpool size still not reduced. Filesystem Size Used Available Capacity Mounted on rpool/ROOT/solaris-2 98G 6.9G ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freshmeat
2 Replies
FILEFRAG(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       FILEFRAG(8)

NAME
filefrag - report on file fragmentation SYNOPSIS
filefrag [ -bblocksize ] [ -BeksvxX ] [ files... ] DESCRIPTION
filefrag reports on how badly fragmented a particular file might be. It makes allowances for indirect blocks for ext2 and ext3 filesys- tems, but can be used on files for any filesystem. The filefrag program initially attempts to get the extent information using FIEMAP ioctl which is more efficient and faster. If FIEMAP is not supported then filefrag will fall back to using FIBMAP. OPTIONS
-B Force the use of the older FIBMAP ioctl instead of the FIEMAP ioctl for testing purposes. -bblocksize Use blocksize in bytes for output instead of the filesystem blocksize. For compatibility with earlier versions of filefrag, if blocksize is unspecified it defaults to 1024 bytes. -e Print output in extent format, even for block-mapped files. -k Use 1024-byte blocksize for output (identical to '-b 1024'). -s Sync the file before requesting the mapping. -v Be verbose when checking for file fragmentation. -x Display mapping of extended attributes. -X Display extent block numbers in hexadecimal format. AUTHOR
filefrag was written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>. E2fsprogs version 1.42.9 December 2013 FILEFRAG(8)