Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to use expr
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat how to use expr Post 302273714 by jim mcnamara on Monday 5th of January 2009 02:52:13 PM
Old 01-05-2009
escape the * it is a shell metacharacter
Code:
a=$( expr 13 \* 3)
# or
a=`expr 13 \* 3`

This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr

Hello! I want to evaluate some mathematical expressions in a script and I try to use 'expr' command. Unfortunatally, when I have, for example, expr 8.2 + 6 the result is 'expr: non-numeric argument' Why ? I work on SunOs 5.7. Thanks in advance Nathe (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nathe
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr problem

Hi, in my ksh script expr 22 / 10 results as 2 but the actual result expected in 2.2. how do i get that result. Please help Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting error with expr

sum=0; cat op_api2 |while read word1 word2; do echo $word2 sum=`expr $word2 + $sum`; done echo $sum op_api2 ( file has this data ) ---------------------------- UsageSummary 1034 UsageSummary 1675 UnbilledUsage 175 UnbilledUsage 177 UnbilledUsage 177 UnbilledUsage 194 I want the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

test expr VS [ expr ]

What is the difference between test expr VS . For example : if test 5 -eq 6 echo "Wrong" and if echo "Wrong" bot will give the same output as Wrong. Now, what is the difference between these two? though they are producing the same result why we need two? Any answer will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr command help

I'm trying to check if a variable'd string is only one character and use that in an if statement the only way I could find is: $expr "${var}" : . # expr STRING : regrep where the "." is the grep wildcard for any single character. Whats wrong with my code here and is there a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tewg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

the expr \*

$ cat > mtable #!/bin/sh # #Script to test for loop # # if then echo "Error - Number missing form command line argument" echo "Syntax : $0 number" echo "Use to print multiplication table for given number" exit 1 fi n=$1 for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do echo "$n * $i = `expr $i \*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackel7777
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr ?!

Hey there i want to subtract the content from $b from $a. Each variable has got 18 values (normal numbers from 0 - 99). How can i subtract them? I know i have to use the expr command, this is what i have till now: a=`cat Tabelle.dat | awk {'print $4'} | awk -F: {'print $1'}` b=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mad van Bert
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with expr - "expr: syntax error"

Hi All, I'm writing a shell script in KSH, where I want to store the filename, total record count and actual record count of all the source files. The source files reside in 4 different sub-folders under the same root folder. Below is code: #!/usr/bin/ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagari
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If + expr

Hi I have bellow script: t1=`cat node1.txt | grep thread1 | cut -f2 -d '-'` t2=`cat node2.txt | grep thread2 | cut -f2 -d '-'` t3=`cat node1_rcat.txt | grep thread1 | cut -f2 -d '-'` t4=`cat node2_rcat.txt | grep thread2 | cut -f2 -d '-'` if ]; then echo "no restore" >> log.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nn$( expr $n + 1)

HI there I am trying to understand Shell scripting to create my own, I am attempting a few examples can anyone tell me what this means?n=$( expr $n + 1)Tried looking on the internet, but just cannot find its anywhere :( .Help please (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2015
4 Replies
test(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   test(1)

Name
       test - test conditional expression

Syntax
       test expr
       [ expr ]

Description
       The  command  evaluates the expression expr.  If the value of expr is true, the command returns a zero exit status; otherwise, it returns a
       nonzero exit status.  The command also returns a nonzero exit status if no arguments are specified.

Options
       The following primitives are used to construct expr:

-r file		   Tests if the file exists and is readable.

-w file		   Tests if the file exists and is writable.

-f file		   Tests if the file exists and is not a directory.

-d file		   Tests if the file exists and is a directory.

-s file		   Tests if the file exists and has a size greater than zero.

-t [ fildes ]	   Tests if the open file, whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default), is associated with a terminal device.

-z s1		   Tests if the length of string s1 is zero.

-n s1		   Tests if the length of the string s1 is nonzero.

s1 = s2		   Tests if the strings s1 and s2 are equal.

s1 != s2 	   Tests if the strings s1 and s2 are not equal.

s1		   Tests if s1 is not the null string.

n1 -eq n2	   Tests if number1 equals number2.

n1 -ge n2	   Tests if number1 is greater than or equal to number2.

n1 -gt n2	   Tests if number1 is greater than number2.

n1 -le n2	   Tests if number1 is less than or equal to number2.

n1 -lt n2	   Tests if number1 is less than number2.

n1 -ne n2	   Tests if number1 is not equal to number2.

These primitives can be combined with the following operators:

!expr		   Negates evaluation of expression.

expr -a expr	   Tests logical and of two expressions.

expr -o expr	   Tests logical or of two expressions.

( expr... )	   Groups expressions.

The -a operator takes precedence over the -o operator.  Note that all the operators and flags are separate  arguments  to  Note	also  that
       parentheses are meaningful to the Shell and must be escaped.

See Also
       find(1), sh(1), test(1sh5)

test(1)