Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Gentoo how to edit linux system files? Post 302271443 by Dragster93 on Thursday 25th of December 2008 04:50:28 PM
Old 12-25-2008
how to edit linux system files?

i had heard that linux is open source.....which meant that i could edit it.
so how do i start out? i've already downloaded it. the name's "puppy linux".....someone please reply quick!!!

and by the way, may i know what shell scripting is?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to access/mount so to access folder/files on a Remote System using Linux OS

Hi I need to access files from a specific folder of a Linux system from an another Linux System Remotely. I know how to, Export a folder on One SCO System & can access the same by using Import via., NFS in the Sco Unix SVR4 System using the scoadmin utility. Also, I know to use mount -t ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit Multiple Files in VI

Here's what I have... $ vi foo1 - open foo1 and work around for a while. I yank a few lines into a buffer and then :w to save. Next I :e foo2 to open foo2 and paste my buffer. I :w to save, but I would like to then be able to go directly back into foo1 where I was before I opened foo2. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
4 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

RTF files can they be converted once they are on linux system

:D mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt my dillemma is simple i have psion 5 mx wich is an epoc type machine not only does it only work on windows as far as I know but I have to convert the files (the usual stuff!) sometimes a humen error happens and the files that I want to transfer to the linux drive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit _config files

Hi, I am trying to edit sshd_config file through the vi editor. logged on as a root. when I try to write the file I get: Read-only file, not written; use ! to override when i type :w!, I get: Error: etc/ssh/sshd_config Permission denied. I want to change: #PermitRootLogin no to yes freeBDS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: emosms
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How files can be transferred from one system to another securely using Linux?

i need to know how files can be transfered from one system to another securely in linux. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibing
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit .profile to connect to Oracle- Linux 2.6.9-89

Hi, I want to connect to sqlplus through unix. I got the command to do it. But I was getting error: ./executeSQL.ksh: sqlplus: not found Then when I googled I found that we have to include Oracle Client path in .profile file. I don't know how to do it. Also I don't have permissions to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit files with cat

Hi, sometimes one wants to edit files while still seeing output of earlier commands in terminal. I've found out that cat test && cat - >> test does the trick for displaying file content and adding lines but I believe I saw a much cooler command that was also able to erase lines from files. I cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarleo
6 Replies

8. AIX

Accessing files on AIX system from Linux system

I have a following requirement in production system 1 : LINUX User: abcd system 2: AIX (it is hosting a production DB) Requirement user abcd from system 1 should have read access on archive log files created by DB on system 2. The log files are created with permissions 540 by user ora ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitnm1106
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gunzip and edit many files

Experts - I have an requirement to gunzip and edit many files in a pair of directories. I have two scripts that work great when run separately, but I'm having problems combining the two. The goal is to gunzip the files found in the first script and pipe them to the bash/sed script and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
9 Replies
MHEARD(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 MHEARD(1)

NAME
mheard - display AX.25 calls recently heard. SYNOPSIS
mheard [-d cmns] [-n] [-o cfpt] [-v] [port...] DESCRIPTION
Mheard displays information about most recently heard AX.25 callsigns, the interface upon which they were heard, the total packets heard, the time at which the last one was heard and other information. Mheard displays different information, in different orders depending on the settings of the arguments. Information on specific ports can be displayed by giving the port names as arguments. OPTIONS
-d cmns Sets the information that is displayed for each AX.25 callsign heard. The different arguments are: c Display all the information with regard to callsigns, from-callsign, to-callsign, port name, and any digipeaters that may be in use. m Display miscellaneous information, the from-callsign, port name, no frames heard, the last type of frames heard, and which different PIDs have been heard from that station. n Display the default information. This is the from-callsign, port name, no frames heard and the date and time last heard. s Displays statistics about the station heard, the from-callsign, port name, no I frames, no S frames, no U frames, time first heard, and time last heard. -n Supress the displaying of titles. -o cfpt Sets the ordering of the information displayed. The meanings of the different arguments are: c Sort list by from-callsign. f Sort list by number of frames heard. p Sort list by port name. t Sort list by the time last heard, this is the default. -v Display the version. FILES
/var/ax25/mheard/mheard.dat /etc/ax25/axports SEE ALSO
ax25(4), mheardd(8). AUTHOR
Jonathan Naylor G4KLX <g4klx@g4klx.demon.co.uk> Linux 19 August 1996 MHEARD(1)