Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to display password as * in the console Post 302270170 by crs6785 on Friday 19th of December 2008 10:39:14 PM
Old 12-19-2008
if your looking for a simple solution to just hide the password, and you're using bash, you could just use "read -s" ...

Code:
#!/bin/bash

echo -n "Enter a Password: " 
read -s pass_value
echo ""
echo "Password Entered: $pass_value"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

reading password and echoing '*' character on console

hi all, I am using HP-UX system. I want echoing * characters while reading password through keyboard instead of blank space. can u help me for that code? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hari_uctech
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows to Linux remote console using VNC brings up blank console screen with only mouse pointer

:confused:Hi This was installed on the Linux box a few weeks back by a guy that no longer works for us. All worked fine until last week. Now when we connect its just a blank screen with no icons. I get a whole bunch of errors when starting the service too: Tue Feb 23 14:29:45 2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

x0vncserver consume 100% resources when view connect to display 0(console)

Hi I would like to ask if someone has suffer and solve the case of vnc server conf running on a solaris system. The x0vncserver consume a 100 percent of resources when the vnc viewer connect to a console display 0. but ok when we connect to a Xvnc server with display :1. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display Console errors in Red color

I browsed the forums but i couldn't find the best answer.so,i'm posting here again.. I have a parent bash script which calls another child script and the child script is used to deploy the tar file using weblogic deployer. The script is used to display the output on the console and sent to a log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramse8pc
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Event logging to file and display to console | tee command is not able to log all info.

My intention is to log the output to a file as well as it should be displayed on the console > I have used tee ( tee -a ${filename} ) command for this purpose. This is working as expected for first few outputs, after some event loggin nothing is gettting logged in to the file but It is displaying... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanoop
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Recover/Reset Sun Java System Server Console password

I am administering a Solaris 10 server that I have root password for but need to get to the system server console. The password has been 'forgotten'. I've tried changing it in /var/opt/mps/serverroot/admin-serv/config/admpw and local.conf with the current hashed password in /etc/shadow for a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jameson
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect an output from a script to a file and display it at a console simultaneously

Hi, I'd like to redirect the STDOUT output from my script to a file and simultaneously display it at a console. I've tried this command: myscript.sh | tail -f However, it doesn't end after the script finishes running I've also tried this: myscript.sh | tee ~/results.txt But it writes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
3 Replies

8. SuSE

Display Chinese and Japanese characters on my SLES console.

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on my SLES 11 Console. Is there any way that I could display those characters on my console? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Sparc console password reset

Hi, How to reset the sun fire v245 console password ?. Please tell me step by step. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen16
5 Replies

10. SCO

SCO Openserver 6 Console Display Problem

I am trying to upgrade our SCO Openserver 6 box to some newer HW. I can get everything working correctly except for the console display. The boot command shows up correctly, as does the SCO Openserver 6 splash screen. Right as the SCO legal ease is displaying the screen suddenly jumps to only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jim546
4 Replies
SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8) 	       systemd-ask-password-console.service		   SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-ask-password-console.service, systemd-ask-password-console.path, systemd-ask-password-wall.service, systemd-ask-password-wall.path - Query the user for system passwords on the console and via wall SYNOPSIS
systemd-ask-password-console.service systemd-ask-password-console.path systemd-ask-password-wall.service systemd-ask-password-wall.path DESCRIPTION
systemd-ask-password-console.service is a system service that queries the user for system passwords (such as hard disk encryption keys and SSL certificate passphrases) on the console. It is intended to be used during boot to ensure proper handling of passwords necessary for boot. systemd-ask-password-wall.service is a system service that informs all logged in users for system passwords via wall(1). It is intended to be used after boot to ensure that users are properly notified. See the developer documentation[1] for more information about the system password logic. Note that these services invoke systemd-tty-ask-password-agent(1) with either the --watch --console or --watch --wall command line parameters. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-tty-ask-password-agent(1), wall(1) NOTES
1. developer documentation https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents systemd 237 SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8)