Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Lost password on Sun Solaris; can it be decrypted Post 302269868 by robsonde on Thursday 18th of December 2008 10:42:17 PM
Old 12-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfeathe
If you're using solaris, with a shadow file for passwords with encryption set to one of the encrytion standards that are supported, john the ripper will crack the password in the shadow file. Not sure what robsonde is talking about ... I've used it a million times to check users passwords.

there is no decrypt.
john the ripper will crack by testing many times.
john the ripper many run for months with out a result.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root Password Lost !!!

I've forgotten root password on one of Solaris machines, i searched in forumes to find a similar case but there's no proceudre here to reinintialize root password, cause most of related commands & even single user mode needs root password that i don't have. Any solution would be helpful. --rgrds,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I lost my password root

Hello ... I lost my password root ! maybe someone can to help me to log in HP_UX, i started the server in " Singel - User" and i changed my password to new password and it`s not working .. what i must to do ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanly
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Lost Root Password

I have recently become the sys adm guy for our unix systems here for my shop. I have a pretty good understanding of the system, but there is just some stuff that I don't know. Right now one of those things is to recover the password for a unix system. I know that there is a way that you can use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GlockCW
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root Password Lost

I'm attempting to blank out the root user password on a machine that we have forgotten the password for. I have been using the advice posted on this site to boot from CDROM in single user mode, then mounting the root slice and editing the /etc/shadow file. Each time I save the shadow file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Lost Root Password

This is a common question im sure... I bought a RS/6000 Model 240. Aix 4.3.3 loaded. No root password was supplied to me, but I do have the install media (4 disks). I want to drop into maint mode. So I place the cd into the drive, restart the box ( by pressing the power button, since i do not have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeJohnSmith
3 Replies

6. Solaris

password less login from openssh to SSH Secure Shell 3.0.1 Sun solaris 7

Hi, I would like to login from a Sun server running ssh: Sun_SSH_1.1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f to ssh: SSH Secure Shell 3.0.1 on sparc-sun-solaris2.6 How can I achieve this? Thanks a million in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbewie
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Firmware password Solaris Sun Fire v440

Hi: I bougth an used Sun Fire v440, and It have a firmware password. When I turn on the server, it ask for firmware password. (I don 't know what is the correct password). I can access to SC, but when I want to access to OBP, Firmware Password appears again. I remove the battery for two hours,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mguazzardo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass decrypted password to script

Hi Everybody, I am trying to write a script (ksh) to connect to oracle db via sqlplus. As I do not want the password to be in plain text, I've tried to use java to encrypt and decrypt it but I am not sure how can I pass the decrypted password to the script. Pls advise. Below is what I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nick1971
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Lost Sun Solaris 10Certification

.............. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siddulamadhu
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Failed to recover root password in Solaris 10 on Sparc CPU Sun Ultra10

Failed to recover lost root password for Solaris SunSparc (On Sun Ultra10 - SPARC CPU Hardware, not x86 Intel CPU nor x64 AMD CPU) This Sun Ultra10 workstation comes with an old 6-in wafer probing station purchased from a Surplus equipment vendor. Computer: Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: fromtexas0
21 Replies
SHADOW(5)							File Formats Manual							 SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - encrypted password file DESCRIPTION
shadow contains the encrypted password information for user's accounts and optional the password aging information. Included is Login name Encrypted password Days since Jan 1, 1970 that password was last changed Days before password may be changed Days after which password must be changed Days before password is to expire that user is warned Days after password expires that account is disabled Days since Jan 1, 1970 that account is disabled A reserved field The password field must be filled. The encryped password consists of 13 to 24 characters from the 64 character alphabet a thru z, A thru Z, 0 thru 9, . and /. Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. The date of the last password change is given as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The password may not be changed again until the proper number of days have passed, and must be changed after the maximum number of days. If the minimum number of days required is greater than the maximum number of day allowed, this password may not be changed by the user. An account is considered to be inactive and is disabled if the password is not changed within the specified number of days after the pass- word expires. An account will also be disabled on the specified day regardless of other password expiration information. This information supercedes any password or password age information present in /etc/passwd. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - encrypted user passwords SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), su(1), passwd(5), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), sulogin(8) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) SHADOW(5)