Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Lost password on Sun Solaris; can it be decrypted Post 302269868 by robsonde on Thursday 18th of December 2008 10:42:17 PM
Old 12-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfeathe
If you're using solaris, with a shadow file for passwords with encryption set to one of the encrytion standards that are supported, john the ripper will crack the password in the shadow file. Not sure what robsonde is talking about ... I've used it a million times to check users passwords.

there is no decrypt.
john the ripper will crack by testing many times.
john the ripper many run for months with out a result.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root Password Lost !!!

I've forgotten root password on one of Solaris machines, i searched in forumes to find a similar case but there's no proceudre here to reinintialize root password, cause most of related commands & even single user mode needs root password that i don't have. Any solution would be helpful. --rgrds,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I lost my password root

Hello ... I lost my password root ! maybe someone can to help me to log in HP_UX, i started the server in " Singel - User" and i changed my password to new password and it`s not working .. what i must to do ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanly
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Lost Root Password

I have recently become the sys adm guy for our unix systems here for my shop. I have a pretty good understanding of the system, but there is just some stuff that I don't know. Right now one of those things is to recover the password for a unix system. I know that there is a way that you can use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GlockCW
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root Password Lost

I'm attempting to blank out the root user password on a machine that we have forgotten the password for. I have been using the advice posted on this site to boot from CDROM in single user mode, then mounting the root slice and editing the /etc/shadow file. Each time I save the shadow file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Lost Root Password

This is a common question im sure... I bought a RS/6000 Model 240. Aix 4.3.3 loaded. No root password was supplied to me, but I do have the install media (4 disks). I want to drop into maint mode. So I place the cd into the drive, restart the box ( by pressing the power button, since i do not have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeJohnSmith
3 Replies

6. Solaris

password less login from openssh to SSH Secure Shell 3.0.1 Sun solaris 7

Hi, I would like to login from a Sun server running ssh: Sun_SSH_1.1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f to ssh: SSH Secure Shell 3.0.1 on sparc-sun-solaris2.6 How can I achieve this? Thanks a million in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbewie
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Firmware password Solaris Sun Fire v440

Hi: I bougth an used Sun Fire v440, and It have a firmware password. When I turn on the server, it ask for firmware password. (I don 't know what is the correct password). I can access to SC, but when I want to access to OBP, Firmware Password appears again. I remove the battery for two hours,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mguazzardo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass decrypted password to script

Hi Everybody, I am trying to write a script (ksh) to connect to oracle db via sqlplus. As I do not want the password to be in plain text, I've tried to use java to encrypt and decrypt it but I am not sure how can I pass the decrypted password to the script. Pls advise. Below is what I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nick1971
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Lost Sun Solaris 10Certification

.............. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siddulamadhu
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Failed to recover root password in Solaris 10 on Sparc CPU Sun Ultra10

Failed to recover lost root password for Solaris SunSparc (On Sun Ultra10 - SPARC CPU Hardware, not x86 Intel CPU nor x64 AMD CPU) This Sun Ultra10 workstation comes with an old 6-in wafer probing station purchased from a Surplus equipment vendor. Computer: Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: fromtexas0
21 Replies
USERDBPW(8)						      Double Precision, Inc.						       USERDBPW(8)

NAME
userdbpw - create an encrypted password SYNOPSIS
userdbpw [[-md5] | [-hmac-md5] | [-hmac-sha1]] |userdb {name} set {field} DESCRIPTION
userdbpw enables secure entry of encrypted passwords into /etc/courier/userdb. userdbpw reads a single line of text on standard input, encrypts it, and prints the encrypted result to standard output. If standard input is attached to a terminal device, userdbpw explicitly issues a "Password: " prompt on standard error, and turns off echo while the password is entered. The -md5 option is available on systems that use MD5-hashed passwords (such as systems that use the current version of the PAM library for authenticating, with MD5 passwords enabled). This option creates an MD5 password hash, instead of using the traditional crypt() function. -hmac-md5 and -hmac-sha1 options are available only if the userdb library is installed by an application that uses a challenge/response authentication mechanism. -hmac-md5 creates an intermediate HMAC context using the MD5 hash function. -hmac-sha1 uses the SHA1 hash function instead. Whether either HMAC function is actually available depends on the actual application that installs the userdb library. Note that even though the result of HMAC hashing looks like an encrypted password, it's really not. HMAC-based challenge/response authentication mechanisms require the cleartext password to be available as cleartext. Computing an intermediate HMAC context does scramble the cleartext password, however if its compromised, it WILL be possible for an attacker to succesfully authenticate. Therefore, applications that use challenge/response authentication will store intermediate HMAC contexts in the "pw" fields in the userdb database, which will be compiled into the userdbshadow.dat database, which has group and world permissions turned off. The userdb library also requires that the cleartext userdb source for the userdb.dat and userdbshadow.dat databases is also stored with the group and world permissions turned off. userdbpw is usually used together in a pipe with userdb, which reads from standard input. For example: userdbpw -md5 | userdb users/john set systempw or: userdbpw -hmac-md5 | userdb users/john set hmac-md5pw These commands set the systempw field in the record for the user john in /etc/courier/userdb/users file, and the hmac-md5pw field. Don't forget to run makeuserdb for the change to take effect. The following command does the same thing: userdb users/john set systempw=SECRETPASSWORD However, this command passes the secret password as an argument to the userdb command, which can be viewed by anyone who happens to run ps(1) at the same time. Using userdbpw allows the secret password to be specified in a way that cannot be easily viewed by ps(1). SEE ALSO
userdb(8)[1], makeuserdb(8)[2] NOTES
1. userdb(8) userdb.html 2. makeuserdb(8) makeuserdb.html Double Precision, Inc. 08/23/2008 USERDBPW(8)