Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Lost password on Sun Solaris; can it be decrypted Post 302269398 by jdfeathe on Wednesday 17th of December 2008 02:10:41 PM
Old 12-17-2008
Your question doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Why would you want to crack your own passwd? If you really need to crack a unix passwd, google john the ripper

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root Password Lost !!!

I've forgotten root password on one of Solaris machines, i searched in forumes to find a similar case but there's no proceudre here to reinintialize root password, cause most of related commands & even single user mode needs root password that i don't have. Any solution would be helpful. --rgrds,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I lost my password root

Hello ... I lost my password root ! maybe someone can to help me to log in HP_UX, i started the server in " Singel - User" and i changed my password to new password and it`s not working .. what i must to do ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanly
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Lost Root Password

I have recently become the sys adm guy for our unix systems here for my shop. I have a pretty good understanding of the system, but there is just some stuff that I don't know. Right now one of those things is to recover the password for a unix system. I know that there is a way that you can use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GlockCW
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root Password Lost

I'm attempting to blank out the root user password on a machine that we have forgotten the password for. I have been using the advice posted on this site to boot from CDROM in single user mode, then mounting the root slice and editing the /etc/shadow file. Each time I save the shadow file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Lost Root Password

This is a common question im sure... I bought a RS/6000 Model 240. Aix 4.3.3 loaded. No root password was supplied to me, but I do have the install media (4 disks). I want to drop into maint mode. So I place the cd into the drive, restart the box ( by pressing the power button, since i do not have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeJohnSmith
3 Replies

6. Solaris

password less login from openssh to SSH Secure Shell 3.0.1 Sun solaris 7

Hi, I would like to login from a Sun server running ssh: Sun_SSH_1.1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f to ssh: SSH Secure Shell 3.0.1 on sparc-sun-solaris2.6 How can I achieve this? Thanks a million in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbewie
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Firmware password Solaris Sun Fire v440

Hi: I bougth an used Sun Fire v440, and It have a firmware password. When I turn on the server, it ask for firmware password. (I don 't know what is the correct password). I can access to SC, but when I want to access to OBP, Firmware Password appears again. I remove the battery for two hours,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mguazzardo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass decrypted password to script

Hi Everybody, I am trying to write a script (ksh) to connect to oracle db via sqlplus. As I do not want the password to be in plain text, I've tried to use java to encrypt and decrypt it but I am not sure how can I pass the decrypted password to the script. Pls advise. Below is what I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nick1971
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Lost Sun Solaris 10Certification

.............. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siddulamadhu
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Failed to recover root password in Solaris 10 on Sparc CPU Sun Ultra10

Failed to recover lost root password for Solaris SunSparc (On Sun Ultra10 - SPARC CPU Hardware, not x86 Intel CPU nor x64 AMD CPU) This Sun Ultra10 workstation comes with an old 6-in wafer probing station purchased from a Surplus equipment vendor. Computer: Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: fromtexas0
21 Replies
FascistCheck(3) 					      Debian GNU/Linux manual						   FascistCheck(3)

NAME
FascistCheck - a pro-active password checker library SYNOPSIS
#include <crack.h> static char const CRACKLIB_DICTPATH[] = ...; extern char const * FascistCheck(char const passwd[], char const dictpath[]); DESCRIPTION
cracklib is a library containing the FascistCheck C function which may be used in a "passwd" like program. The idea is simple: try to pre- vent users from choosing passwords that could be guessed by "crack" by filtering them out, at source. cracklib is an offshoot of the the version 5 of the "crack" software and contains a considerable number of ideas nicked from the new software. The first formal argument password is the potential password. The second formal argument dictpath is the full path name + filename prefix of the cracklib dictionary database. FascistCheck returns the NULL pointer for a good password, or a pointer to a diagnostic string if it is a weak password. The database is in a binary format generated by the utilities crack_mkdict(8) and crack_packer(8). On a Debian system the database is located in the directory defined by the static constant CRACKLIB_DICTPATH and is set to /var/cache/cracklib/cracklib_dict. None of the subroutines in the cracklib libraries have this location hard-coded into their implementations. It is generated daily with the program /etc/cron.daily/cracklib. FILES
/var/cache/cracklib/cracklib_dict.[hwm|pwd|pwi] cracklib dictionary database files used by utilities. /etc/cron.daily/cracklib cracklib daily cron program to rebuild the cracklib dictionary database. /etc/cracklib/cracklib.conf cracklib configuration file used by the cracklib daily cron program to rebuild the cracklib dictionary database. /usr/sbin/crack_mkdict cracklib shell script to create initial list of words for dictionary database. /usr/share/doc/cracklib2-dev/examples Example cc(1) source files that show how FascistCheck is used. SEE ALSO
crack_teststr(8), crack_mkdict(8), update-cracklib(8) /usr/share/doc/cracklib2-dev/examples /usr/share/doc/cracklib2/cracklib2.html /usr/share/doc/cracklib2-dev/cracklib2-dev.html AUTHOR
cracklib2 is written by Alec Muffett <alecm@crypto.dircon.co.uk>. Manual added by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jplejacq@quoininc.com>. 2.7-8.5 Wed, 3 Oct 2001 01:37:09 +0100 FascistCheck(3)