Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Maximum length of a path given as an argument to a shell script Post 302268622 by raghu.amilineni on Tuesday 16th of December 2008 03:46:55 AM
Old 12-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj78
These two commands may help you possibly:

getconf NAME_MAX .

getconf PATH_MAX .
thank you,

but i get this message when i execute the command i get a message like this.

# getconf PATH_MAX
usage: getconf [-v specification] system_var
getconf [-v specification] path_var pathname
getconf -a
raghu.amilineni

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum file name length

Hi folks, Can anybody tell me whether there is any limit on the file name length and directory name length in UNIX. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkkiran
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum Command Length for Korn shell

What is the maximum size of a command which can be given in telnet command prompt in unixfor Korn shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum Command Length

What is the maximum size of a command which can be given in telnet command prompt in unix? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the maximum length of th os-command line in Unix.

Hi All, I didn't find any thread that match this question so I hope it's not redundant. I am totally new to Unix. I want to know what is the maximum length of the os-commandline in Unix. Will it cause any problem if I run any application whose total path length is much longer than 256... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumardesai
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the maximum length of a unix shell variable which can be can passed to plsql

what is the maximum length of a unix shell variable which can be can passed to plsql variable:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to increase the maximum record length

Hi, I need to create a file of record length more than 300 characters. But in my unix box, i am able to create a file only with a maximum of 256 characters per record. Is there anyway i can create a file with more than 300 characters in this case? Or How to increase the maximum record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahish20
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum command length in bourne shell

Hi, I wanted to know what is the maximum length of command which can be run on a bourne (sh) shell? Where can I find that information? Is it different for different OS flavors? Please help. Thanks, Vineet (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a maximum length for a shell script command?

Is there a maximum length for a shell script command? How can I detect that in my OS? For example, if I have something like: command A | command B | command C | awk '{print $1 $2 $3 $4 $5}' then can we break the commands and also the arguments inside awk ? Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
11 Replies

9. Programming

Maximum length of a line

How can I change the maximum length of a programming line in fortran and C (specifically in fortran 77)? Seems the default maximum length is 72 in fortran 77. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum length of a string

good friends days I would love to know if I can help you know the length of a string example: cadena= "cual es mi largo" echo "cadena : $cadena# cadena :16 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
7 Replies
GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)				       Generic Mapping Tools				      GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)

NAME
gmt_shell_functions.sh - Practical functions to be used in GMT bourne shell scripts SYNOPSIS
gmt_init_tmpdir gmt_remove_tmpdir gmt_clean_up [prefix] gmt_message message gmt_abort message gmt_nrecords file(s) gmt_nfields string gmt_get_field string gmt_get_region file(s) [options] gmt_get_gridregion file [options] gmt_get_map_width -R -J gmt_get_map_height -R -J gmt_set_psfile file gmt_set_framename prefix framenumber gmt_set_framenext framenumber DESCRIPTION
gmt_shell_functions.sh provides a set of functions to Bourne (again) shell scripts in support of GMT. The calling shell script should include the following line, before the functions can be used: . gmt_shell_functions.sh Once included in a shell script, gmt_shell_functions.sh allows GMT users to do some scripting more easily than otherwise. The functions made available are: gmt_init_tmpdir Creates a temporary directory in /tmp or (when defined) in the directory specified by the environment variable TMPDIR. The name of the temporary directory is returned as environment variable GMT_TMPDIR. This function also causes GMT to run in `isolation mode', i.e. all temporary files will be created in GMT_TMPDIR and the .gmtdefaults file will not be adjusted. gmt_remove_tmpdir Removes the temporary directory and unsets the GMT_TMPDIR environment variable. gmt_cleanup Remove all files and directories in which the current process number is part of the file name. If the optional prefix is given then we also delete all files and directories that begins with the given prefix. gmt_message Send a message to standard error. gmt_abort Send a message to standard error and exit the shell. gmt_nrecords Returns the total number of lines in file(s) gmt_nfields Returns the number of fields or words in string gmt_get_field Returns the given field in a string. Must pass string between double quotes to preserve it as one item. gmt_get_region Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the data in table file(s). Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_get_gridregion Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the header of a grid file. Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_map_width Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map width in the current measurement unit. gmt_map_height Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map height in the current measurement unit. gmt_set_psfile Create the output PostScript file name based on the base name of a given file (usually the script name $0). gmt_set_framename Returns a lexically ordered filename stem (i.e., no extension) given the file prefix and the current frame number, using a width of 6 for the integer including leading zeros. Useful when creating animations and lexically sorted filenames are required. gmt_set_framenext Accepts the current frame integer counter and returns the next integer counter. NOTES
1. These functions only work in the bourne shell (sh) and their derivatives (like ash, bash, ksh and zsh). These functions do not work in the C shell (csh) or their derivatives (like tcsh), and cannot be used in DOS batch scripts either. 2. gmt_shell_functions.sh were first introduced in GMT version 4.2.2 and have since been regularly expanded with other practical scripting short-cuts. If you want to suggest other functions, please do so by mailing to the GMT mailing list: gmt-help@lists.hawaii.edu. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sh(1), bash(1), minmax(1), grdinfo(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)