Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers return code capturing for all commands connected by "|" ... Post 302268337 by vgersh99 on Monday 15th of December 2008 12:07:13 PM
Old 12-15-2008
from comp.unix.shell FAQ:
Code:
13. How do I get the exit code of cmd1 in cmd1|cmd2

First, note that cmd1 exit code could be non-zero and still don't
    mean an error. This happens for instance in

cmd | head -1

you might observe a 141 (or 269 with ksh93) exit status of cmd1,
    but it's because cmd was interrupted by a SIGPIPE signal when
    "head -1" terminated after having read one line.

To know the exit status of the elements of a pipeline
    cmd1 | cmd2 | cmd3

a. with zsh:

The exit codes are provided in the pipestatus special array.
       cmd1 exit code is in $pipestatus[1], cmd3 exit code in
       $pipestatus[3], so that $? is always the same as
       $pipestatus[-1].

b. with bash:

The exit codes are provided in the PIPESTATUS special array.
       cmd1 exit code is in ${PIPESTATUS[0]}, cmd3 exit code in
       ${PIPESTATUS[2]}, so that $? is always the same as
       ${PIPESTATUS: -1}.

c. with any other Bourne like shells

You need to use a trick to pass the exit codes to the main
       shell.  You can do it using a pipe(2). Instead of running
       "cmd1", you run "cmd1; echo $?" and make sure $? makes it way
       to the shell.

exec 3>&1
       eval `
         # now, inside the `...`, fd4 goes to the pipe
         # whose other end is read and passed to eval;
         # fd1 is the normal standard output preserved
         # the line before with exec 3>&1
         exec 4>&1 >&3 3>&-
         {
           cmd1 4>&-; echo "ec1=$?;" >&4
         } | {
           cmd2 4>&-; echo "ec2=$?;" >&4
         } | cmd3
         echo "ec3=$?;" >&4
       `

d. with a POSIX shell

You can use this function to make it easier:

run() {
         j=1
         while eval "\${pipestatus_$j+:} false"; do
           unset pipestatus_$j
           j=$(($j+1))
         done
         j=1 com= k=1 l=
         for a; do
           if [ "x$a" = 'x|' ]; then
             com="$com { $l "'3>&-
                         echo "pipestatus_'$j'=$?" >&3
                       } 4>&- |'
             j=$(($j+1)) l=
           else
             l="$l \"\$$k\""
           fi
           k=$(($k+1))
         done
         com="$com $l"' 3>&- >&4 4>&-
                    echo "pipestatus_'$j'=$?"'
         exec 4>&1
         eval "$(exec 3>&1; eval "$com")"
         exec 4>&-
         j=1
         while eval "\${pipestatus_$j+:} false"; do
           eval "[ \$pipestatus_$j -eq 0 ]" || return 1
           j=$(($j+1))
         done
         return 0
       }

use it as:

run cmd1 \| cmd2 \| cmd3
       exit codes are in $pipestatus_1, $pipestatus_2, $pipestatus_3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Commands on Digital Unix equivalent to for "top" and "sar" on other Unix flavour

Hi, We have a DEC Alpha 4100 Server with OSF1 Digital Unix 4.0. Can any one tell me, if there are any commands on this Unix which are equivalent to "top" and "sar" on HP-UX or Sun Solaris ? I am particularly interested in knowing the CPU Load, what process is running on which CPU, etc. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameerdes
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code is "0" though the command fails.

The return code is "0" though the command fails. How to get a return code of "1" for this command when it fails or modify the command to get the right return code? On HP UNIX #-------- SCRIPT ---- #!/bin/ksh find /opt/oracle/oroem/product/10.2.0.4/rdbms/audit/ \( -name "*.aud" \) -mtime +1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbekal
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command 'rm -f -r "0yfOYy-0008Nq-2j-32233-K"' failed with return code 1 and error mes

I would like to know what means this error and how to fix it Command 'rm -f -r "0yfOYy-0008Nq-2j-32233-K"' failed with return code 1 and error message Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxbee
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of times a user is "connected"?

hi i wish make a shell to look for the number of times a user is connected then makes a "whatch dog" by crontab to handle this i could do it through ps-fedal| grep user_name | wc-l ... etc. but others suggested me another algorithm :mad: and thought to use w, or finger, or who but it have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgar287
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Relation btw commands, "man" and "more" ???

Hi guys, Hope u r doing find. I have this query. When we check the manual pages for a certain command, say man cat we see the manual page with more What is UNIX really doing here, I mean why not less command instead of more command. And can we have UNIX display the manual pages with less command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

9. Solaris

How to execute a ".profile" depending on the server from where the user is connected.

Hello, I have two Solaris servers on a cluster. I have created the same user "X"on the two nodes (same UID and same GID). The file ".profile" of this user "X" is located in a filesystem that is seen by the two nodes. Each server should have a ".profile" of this user different of the other... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract delta records using with "comm" and "sort" commands combination

Hi All, I have 2 pipe delimited files viz., file_old and file_new. I'm trying to compare these 2 files, and extract all the different rows between them into a new_file. comm -3 < sort file_old < sort file_new > new_file I am getting the below error: -ksh: sort: cannot open But if I do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
7 Replies
exec(1) 							   User Commands							   exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)