Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Maximum length of a path given as an argument to a shell script Post 302268179 by raghu.amilineni on Monday 15th of December 2008 06:30:37 AM
Old 12-15-2008
Java Maximum length of a path given as an argument to a shell script

hi,

I am using solaris10. I have to write a bourne shell script, which copies files for the said destination path which is passed as an argument to the script.

it looks like this

myscript.sh /var/test -->destination path

now i would like to know what is the maximum length i can given as the destination path here? what is the maximum a solaris accepts?

thans in advance.

RaghuDeep Amilineni
raghu.amilineni

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum file name length

Hi folks, Can anybody tell me whether there is any limit on the file name length and directory name length in UNIX. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkkiran
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum Command Length for Korn shell

What is the maximum size of a command which can be given in telnet command prompt in unixfor Korn shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum Command Length

What is the maximum size of a command which can be given in telnet command prompt in unix? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the maximum length of th os-command line in Unix.

Hi All, I didn't find any thread that match this question so I hope it's not redundant. I am totally new to Unix. I want to know what is the maximum length of the os-commandline in Unix. Will it cause any problem if I run any application whose total path length is much longer than 256... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumardesai
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the maximum length of a unix shell variable which can be can passed to plsql

what is the maximum length of a unix shell variable which can be can passed to plsql variable:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to increase the maximum record length

Hi, I need to create a file of record length more than 300 characters. But in my unix box, i am able to create a file only with a maximum of 256 characters per record. Is there anyway i can create a file with more than 300 characters in this case? Or How to increase the maximum record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahish20
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum command length in bourne shell

Hi, I wanted to know what is the maximum length of command which can be run on a bourne (sh) shell? Where can I find that information? Is it different for different OS flavors? Please help. Thanks, Vineet (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a maximum length for a shell script command?

Is there a maximum length for a shell script command? How can I detect that in my OS? For example, if I have something like: command A | command B | command C | awk '{print $1 $2 $3 $4 $5}' then can we break the commands and also the arguments inside awk ? Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
11 Replies

9. Programming

Maximum length of a line

How can I change the maximum length of a programming line in fortran and C (specifically in fortran 77)? Seems the default maximum length is 72 in fortran 77. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum length of a string

good friends days I would love to know if I can help you know the length of a string example: cadena= "cual es mi largo" echo "cadena : $cadena# cadena :16 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
7 Replies
RCP(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RCP(1)

NAME
rcp -- remote file copy SYNOPSIS
rcp [-px] file1 file2 rcp [-px] [-r] file ... directory DESCRIPTION
Rcp copies files between machines. Each file or directory argument is either a remote file name of the form ``rname@rhost:path'', or a local file name (containing no `:' characters, or a `/' before any `:'s). -r If any of the source files are directories, rcp copies each subtree rooted at that name; in this case the destination must be a direc- tory. -p The -p option causes rcp to attempt to preserve (duplicate) in its copies the modification times and modes of the source files, ignor- ing the umask. By default, the mode and owner of file2 are preserved if it already existed; otherwise the mode of the source file mod- ified by the umask(2) on the destination host is used. If path is not a full path name, it is interpreted relative to the login directory of the specified user ruser on rhost, or your current user name if no other remote user name is specified. A path on a remote host may be quoted (using , ", or ') so that the metacharacters are interpreted remotely. Rcp does not prompt for passwords; it performs remote execution via rsh(1), and requires the same authorization. Rcp handles third party copies, where neither source nor target files are on the current machine. SEE ALSO
cp(1), ftp(1), rsh(1), rlogin(1) HISTORY
The rcp command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Doesn't detect all cases where the target of a copy might be a file in cases where only a directory should be legal. Is confused by any output generated by commands in a .login, .profile, or .cshrc file on the remote host. The destination user and hostname may have to be specified as ``rhost.rname'' when the destination machine is running the 4.2BSD version of rcp. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 15, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)