Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash: dividing/multiplying variables resulting in decimals Post 302264170 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 09:57:35 AM
Old 12-03-2008
joeyg,

The bc command isn't available for the OP.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiplying Floats/Decimals

Is there a way that i can get something like this to work: Number=`expr 80 \* 10.69` i.e. To multiply an integer by a decimal or a decimal by a decimal etc...? thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rleebife
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ctrl+S resulting in (i-search) in bash

Hi On solaris, when I press Ctrl+S on an XTERM, the window normally freezes. But today on the same machine, the Ctrl+S key results in (i-search) !! I understand that it has got something to do with emacs (may be not). But I do not use emacs at all. Other specific keys including <backspace>,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji280283
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expect and stty paths are different and resulting in error.

Hello, i am using expect to automate file transfers to and fro with a sftp server. below is the script i am creating and executing in the main program. but i am getting the following error: the main program that creates and runs this script looks for words like "not found" in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Nemi
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert Regular decimals to Packed decimals

Hi, I am trying to find if there is a way to convert regular decimal values to Paced decimal values. I tried to find a c program but I could get a Packed converted to regular decimal not the other way round. If not unix please let me know if any other progrimming language I can use to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
2 Replies

5. Solaris

SC3.2 issue - cluster transport configuration not right - resulting fail

I am trying to set up a two host cluster. trouble is with the cluster transport configuration. i'm using e1000g2 and g3 for the cluster transport. global0 and global1 are my two nodes, and I am running the scinstall from global1. i think i should be expecting, is this: The following... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustin
19 Replies

6. Red Hat

Server load rapidly increases resulting in complete freeze

Hi All, I run Linux server that hosts PHP/MySQL web-projects. The problem is that it becomes irresponsive periodically, avg. load rapidly goes up to 100.0 and more and I have to do cold reboot. Usually this sudden increase happens in 1-2 mins and it's very difficult to catch this moment in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: livedatesearch
0 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Zip all the files resulting from a sed command

hi guys i have a file in this location /home/test/Summary.txt - this file contants is a below ./log_SI-100.lst:Error detected, rollbacking ./log_SI-101.lst:Error detected, rollbacking ./log_SI-106.lst:Error detected, rollbacking i use this command to get the log file names inside it ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: depakjan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dividing tab blocks in bash script

Hi everyone, I have a data.xml file which only contains thousands of data (tag) blocks. A part of the file looks exactly like this; <data> Line Line Line </data> <data> Line Line Line </data> the rest of the file is simply a repetition of this part. Here each data block contains a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH arrays and variables of variables in C++

Sometimes it is handy to protect long scripts in C++. The following syntax works fine for simple commands: #define SHELLSCRIPT1 "\ #/bin/bash \n\ echo \"hello\" \n\ " int main () { cout <<system(SHELLSCRIPT1); return 0; } Unfortunately for there are problems for: 1d arrays:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
RSTART(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RSTART(1)

NAME
rstart - a sample implementation of a Remote Start client SYNOPSIS
rstart [-c context] [-g] [-l username] [-v] hostname command args ... DESCRIPTION
Rstart is a simple implementation of a Remote Start client as defined in "A Flexible Remote Execution Protocol Based on rsh". It uses rsh as its underlying remote execution mechanism. OPTIONS
-c context This option specifies the context in which the command is to be run. A context specifies a general environment the program is to be run in. The details of this environment are host-specific; the intent is that the client need not know how the environment must be configured. If omitted, the context defaults to X. This should be suitable for running X programs from the host's "usual" X installation. -g Interprets command as a generic command, as discussed in the protocol document. This is intended to allow common applications to be invoked without knowing what they are called on the remote system. Currently, the only generic commands defined are Terminal, LoadMonitor, ListContexts, and ListGenericCommands. -l username This option is passed to the underlying rsh; it requests that the command be run as the specified user. -v This option requests that rstart be verbose in its operation. Without this option, rstart discards output from the remote's rstart helper, and directs the rstart helper to detach the program from the rsh connection used to start it. With this option, responses from the helper are displayed and the resulting program is not detached from the connection. NOTES
This is a trivial implementation. Far more sophisticated implementations are possible and should be developed. Error handling is nonexistent. Without -v, error reports from the remote are discarded silently. With -v, error reports are displayed. The $DISPLAY environment variable is passed. If it starts with a colon, the local hostname is prepended. The local domain name should be appended to unqualified host names, but isn't. The $SESSION_MANAGER environment variable should be passed, but isn't. X11 authority information is passed for the current display. ICE authority information should be passed, but isn't. It isn't completely clear how rstart should select what ICE authority information to pass. Even without -v, the sample rstart helper will leave a shell waiting for the program to complete. This causes no real harm and consumes relatively few resources, but if it is undesirable it can be avoided by explicitly specifying the "exec" command to the shell, eg rstart somehost exec xterm This is obviously dependent on the command interpreter being used on the remote system; the example given will work for the Bourne and C shells. SEE ALSO
rstartd(1), rsh(1), A Flexible Remote Execution Protocol Based on rsh AUTHOR
Jordan Brown, Quarterdeck Office Systems X Version 11 rstart 1.0.4 RSTART(1)