Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to view the contents of .gz file without extracting the file? Post 302263785 by pareshan on Tuesday 2nd of December 2008 01:29:05 PM
Old 12-02-2008
I think you simply can do
tar tf file_name

Coz i use tht for all .tgz (tar files) and it works

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching two file contents and extracting associated information

Hi, I am new to shell programming and need help. I have File1 with some ID numbers and File2 with ID number and some associated information. I want to match the ID numbers from File1 to contents in File2 and output a third file which pulls out the ID numbers and the associated information with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpro
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file

Hi, I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file in shell scripting. Ex. file1 sheel,sumit,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 sumit,rana,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 grade,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 name,sur,33,1,4,12,3,5,6,8 sheel,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 File2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranasheel2000
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace partial contents of file with contents read from other file

Hi, I am facing issue while reading data from a file in UNIX. my requirement is to compare two files and for the text pattern matching in the 1st file, replace the contents in second file by the contents of first file from start to the end and write the contents to thrid file. i am able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seeki
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using vim to view the contents of a directory

When I use this command: vi /home/bob/.vimI expect to see. " ============================================================================ " Netrw Directory Listing (netrw v149) " /home/bob/.vim " Sorted by name " Sort sequence:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

View file contents created by dbCAmplicons as tab delimited

I have run the following command : od -c Results_May18.fixrank | head Here is the result. I wanted the results in tab delimited. Thanks $ od -c Results_May18.fixrank | head 0000000 M 0 1 6 0 1 : 1 2 9 : 0 0 0 0 0 0000020 0 0 0 0 - A T T D Y ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Benard
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output file name and file contents of multiple files to a single file

I am trying to consolidate multiple information files (<hostname>.Linux.nfslist) into one file so that I can import it into Excel. I can get the file contents with cat *Linux.nfslist >> nfslist.txt. I need each line prefaced with the hostname. I am unsure how to do this. --- Post updated at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kentlee65
5 Replies
DTRX(1) 																   DTRX(1)

NAME
dtrx - cleanly extract many archive types SYNOPSIS
dtrx [OPTIONS] ARCHIVE [ARCHIVE ...] DESCRIPTION
dtrx extracts archives in a number of different formats; it currently supports tar, zip (including self-extracting .exe files), cpio, rpm, deb, gem, 7z, cab, rar, and InstallShield files. It can also decompress files compressed with gzip, bzip2, lzma, or compress. In addition to providing one command to handle many different archive types, dtrx also aids the user by extracting contents consistently. By default, everything will be written to a dedicated directory that's named after the archive. dtrx will also change the permissions to ensure that the owner can read and write all those files. To run dtrx, simply call it with the archive(s) you wish to extract as arguments. For example: $ dtrx coreutils-5.*.tar.gz OPTIONS
dtrx supports a number of options to mandate specific behavior: -r, --recursive With this option, dtrx will search inside the archives you specify to see if any of the contents are themselves archives, and extract those as well. --one, --one-entry Normally, if an archive only contains one file or directory with a name that doesn't match the archive's, dtrx will ask you how to handle it. With this option, you can specify ahead of time what should happen. Possible values are: inside Extract the file/directory inside another directory named after the archive. This is the default. rename Extract the file/directory in the current directory, and then rename it to match the name of the archive. here Extract the file/directory in the current directory. -o, --overwrite Normally, dtrx will avoid extracting into a directory that already exists, and instead try to find an alternative name to use. If this option is listed, dtrx will use the default directory name no matter what. -f, --flat Extract all archive contents into the current directory, instead of their own dedicated directory. This is handy if you have multi- ple archive files which all need to be extracted into the same directory structure. Note that existing files may be overwritten with this option. -n, --noninteractive dtrx will normally ask the user how to handle certain corner cases, such as how to handle an archive that only contains one file. This option suppresses those questions; dtrx will instead use sane, conservative defaults. -l, -t, --list, --table Don't extract the archives; just list their contents on standard output. -m, --metadata Extract the metadata from .deb and .gem archives, instead of their normal contents. -q, --quiet Suppress warning messages. Listing this option twice will cause dtrx to be silent. -v, --verbose Show the files that are being extracted. Listing this option twice will cause dtrx to print debugging information. --help Display basic help. --version Display dtrx's version, copyright, and license information. AUTHOR
Brett Smith <brettcsmith@brettcsmith.org> COPYRIGHT
dtrx 6.5 is copyright (C) 2006-2009 Brett Smith and others. Feel free to send comments, bug reports, patches, and so on. You can find the latest version of dtrx on its home page at <http://www.brettcsmith.org/2007/dtrx/>. dtrx is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. 6.5 2009-07-04 DTRX(1)