Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: untar
Operating Systems AIX untar Post 302263758 by bakunin on Tuesday 2nd of December 2008 12:17:05 PM
Old 12-02-2008
You can limit what gets extracted from the archive by using a filename. For instance, going with your example, to extract only a.txt you could issue

Code:
tar -xvf samba.tar samba/a.txt

but this would still create a directory "./samba" and put "a.txt there. It would only prevent the other files getting untarred too.

If you do not want this or for some reason cannot mv the files afterwards to different locations you will have to create the tar archive in such a way that allows to extract files to a flat hierarchy. You could pipe a list of filenames to tar like this:

Code:
echo *txt | tar -cvf my.tar

"my.tar" would contain all the *txt files in the current directory and you could extract an arbitrary subset of these with the mechanism sketched above.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Untar to different location

Hi, I'm facing problem of untar'ing the tar contents with absolute pathnames to a different directory. Please provide me some hint on how to resolve it. Regards, Pradeep (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeep_desh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent....untar!!!

HI UNIX GURUS... I am facing the a similar problem which malaymaru has posted earlier raegarding untaring a file in some other specified directory.But the solution by UNIX DAEMON "Perderabo" seems little difficult to understand.(USING #pax -r -s '=^/opt/abc=/tmp=' < tarfile) So plz explain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul26
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

untar to a specified file

I have file1.tar and want to untar it under /server/file2. If I do tar -xvf file1.tar, the files will be deployed under file1. How to specify the destination folder?? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

untar

i have try to untar the file in same location. But it gave the error # tar -xvf TSMSRVAIX5220.tar x tivoli.tsm.devices.acsls, 757760 bytes, 1480 media blocks. tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 4011 not equal to 8222. How can i rectify this prob. Thanks in advance ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash96453
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Untar problems

Hi, I am new to unix scripting. I have written a java program which will initialize a sftp connection and copy a unix script from my machine to a remote server. Then i initalized an ssh connection and i executed the script. This script contains a sequnece of commands and one of them is to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothg
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar remotely

I need to upload tar or zip files to a unix server than unzip or untar them remotely. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do the remote untar or unzip? For example does someone know of a cgi script or something? Thanks -jz (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp, chown, untar

hello i want shell script. i have a source.txt /home/user409/public_html/test/ /home/user09876/public_html/xdsss/ /home/user9765/public_html/320xxx/ . . . maybe 1000 lines i want . 1.read a source.txt 2.untar special.tar.gz into these directory in source.txt 3.i want to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to untar file

Hello Experts, I have requirement in which a file is present in the folder_test. In that folder there is file called Test.tar.gz.20111102. Now my requirement is i have to rename this file to someother format and untar it.... folder_test Test.tar.gz.20111102 I am using the below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to Untar

Hello, bash-2.05# tar -xvf sunos.tar tar: directory checksum error bash-2.05# file sunos.tar sunos.tar: data bash-2.05# Can someone please help me untar this. This is a Solaris 9 box. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigi_p5
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar fail

Hi Team, I have a file named as follows: aaa.tar.gz Now I need to verify if the untar fails, then the script has to send a mail. In order to check this condition, I need a tar.gz file which is unable to untar it. Can anyone help me to create a file which I will be able to unzip successfully... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
2 Replies
NTDBBACKUP(8)						    System Administration tools 					     NTDBBACKUP(8)

NAME
ntdbbackup - tool for backing up and for validating the integrity of samba .ntdb files SYNOPSIS
ntdbbackup [-s suffix] [-v] [-h] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(1) suite. ntdbbackup is a tool that may be used to backup samba .ntdb files. This tool may also be used to verify the integrity of the .ntdb files prior to samba startup or during normal operation. If it finds file damage and it finds a prior backup the backup file will be restored. OPTIONS
-h Get help information. -s suffix The -s option allows the administrator to specify a file backup extension. This way it is possible to keep a history of ntdb backup files by using a new suffix for each backup. -v The -v will check the database for damages (corrupt data) which if detected causes the backup to be restored. COMMANDS
GENERAL INFORMATION The ntdbbackup utility can safely be run at any time. It was designed so that it can be used at any time to validate the integrity of ntdb files, even during Samba operation. Typical usage for the command will be: ntdbbackup [-s suffix] *.ntdb Before restarting samba the following command may be run to validate .ntdb files: ntdbbackup -v [-s suffix] *.ntdb Note that Samba 4 can use .tdb files instead, so you should use tdbbackup on those files. Samba .tdb and .ntdb files are stored in various locations, be sure to run backup all .(n)tdb files on the system. Important files includes: o secrets.(n)tdb - usual location is in the /usr/local/samba/private directory, or on some systems in /etc/samba. o passdb.(n)tdb - usual location is in the /usr/local/samba/private directory, or on some systems in /etc/samba. o *.tdb and *.ntdb located in the /usr/local/samba/var directory or on some systems in the /var/cache or /var/lib/samba directories. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 4 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
tdbbackup(8), ntdbrestore(8) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The ntdbbackup man page was written by Rusty Russell, based on the tdbbackup man page by John H Terpstra. Samba 4.1 06/17/2014 NTDBBACKUP(8)