Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to view the contents of .gz file without extracting the file? Post 302263634 by sridharg on Tuesday 2nd of December 2008 05:56:02 AM
Old 12-02-2008
@ Command is : gzip -cd <file> | more
This command works in case of single file in the archive... if there are multiple files in archive rest of the file are skipped...

I get this message:

"gzip: test.zip has more than one entry--rest ignored"

Any suggestions to extract specific file from a zip archive with multiple files?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching two file contents and extracting associated information

Hi, I am new to shell programming and need help. I have File1 with some ID numbers and File2 with ID number and some associated information. I want to match the ID numbers from File1 to contents in File2 and output a third file which pulls out the ID numbers and the associated information with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpro
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file

Hi, I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file in shell scripting. Ex. file1 sheel,sumit,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 sumit,rana,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 grade,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 name,sur,33,1,4,12,3,5,6,8 sheel,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 File2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranasheel2000
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace partial contents of file with contents read from other file

Hi, I am facing issue while reading data from a file in UNIX. my requirement is to compare two files and for the text pattern matching in the 1st file, replace the contents in second file by the contents of first file from start to the end and write the contents to thrid file. i am able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seeki
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using vim to view the contents of a directory

When I use this command: vi /home/bob/.vimI expect to see. " ============================================================================ " Netrw Directory Listing (netrw v149) " /home/bob/.vim " Sorted by name " Sort sequence:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

View file contents created by dbCAmplicons as tab delimited

I have run the following command : od -c Results_May18.fixrank | head Here is the result. I wanted the results in tab delimited. Thanks $ od -c Results_May18.fixrank | head 0000000 M 0 1 6 0 1 : 1 2 9 : 0 0 0 0 0 0000020 0 0 0 0 - A T T D Y ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Benard
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output file name and file contents of multiple files to a single file

I am trying to consolidate multiple information files (<hostname>.Linux.nfslist) into one file so that I can import it into Excel. I can get the file contents with cat *Linux.nfslist >> nfslist.txt. I need each line prefaced with the hostname. I am unsure how to do this. --- Post updated at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kentlee65
5 Replies
FUNZIP(1L)																FUNZIP(1L)

NAME
funzip - filter for extracting from a ZIP archive in a pipe SYNOPSIS
funzip [-password] [input[.zip|.gz]] ARGUMENTS
[-password] Optional password to be used if ZIP archive is encrypted. Decryption may not be supported at some sites. See DESCRIPTION for more details. [input[.zip|.gz]] Optional input archive file specification. See DESCRIPTION for details. DESCRIPTION
funzip without a file argument acts as a filter; that is, it assumes that a ZIP archive (or a gzip'd(1) file) is being piped into standard input, and it extracts the first member from the archive to stdout. When stdin comes from a tty device, funzip assumes that this cannot be a stream of (binary) compressed data and shows a short help text, instead. If there is a file argument, then input is read from the speci- fied file instead of from stdin. A password for encrypted zip files can be specified on the command line (preceding the file name, if any) by prefixing the password with a dash. Note that this constitutes a security risk on many systems; currently running processes are often visible via simple commands (e.g., ps(1) under Unix), and command-line histories can be read. If the first entry of the zip file is encrypted and no password is specified on the command line, then the user is prompted for a password and the password is not echoed on the console. Given the limitation on single-member extraction, funzip is most useful in conjunction with a secondary archiver program such as tar(1). The following section includes an example illustrating this usage in the case of disk backups to tape. EXAMPLES
To use funzip to extract the first member file of the archive test.zip and to pipe it into more(1): funzip test.zip | more To use funzip to test the first member file of test.zip (any errors will be reported on standard error): funzip test.zip > /dev/null To use zip and funzip in place of compress(1) and zcat(1) (or gzip(1L) and gzcat(1L)) for tape backups: tar cf - . | zip -7 | dd of=/dev/nrst0 obs=8k dd if=/dev/nrst0 ibs=8k | funzip | tar xf - (where, for example, nrst0 is a SCSI tape drive). BUGS
When piping an encrypted file into more and allowing funzip to prompt for password, the terminal may sometimes be reset to a non-echo mode. This is apparently due to a race condition between the two programs; funzip changes the terminal mode to non-echo before more reads its state, and more then ``restores'' the terminal to this mode before exiting. To recover, run funzip on the same file but redirect to /dev/null rather than piping into more; after prompting again for the password, funzip will reset the terminal properly. There is presently no way to extract any member but the first from a ZIP archive. This would be useful in the case where a ZIP archive is included within another archive. In the case where the first member is a directory, funzip simply creates the directory and exits. The functionality of funzip should be incorporated into unzip itself (future release). SEE ALSO
gzip(1L), unzip(1L), unzipsfx(1L), zip(1L), zipcloak(1L), zipinfo(1L), zipnote(1L), zipsplit(1L) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHOR
Mark Adler (Info-ZIP) Info-ZIP 20 April 2009 (v3.95) FUNZIP(1L)