Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String compare in shell script Post 302262857 by Christoph Spohr on Saturday 29th of November 2008 08:33:58 AM
Old 11-29-2008
Hi,

-eq is meant to compare numbers. Try "=" or "=~" depending on what you
want to achieve. For further information:

Code:
man test

HTH Chris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script cant recognize if else compare

hi I face the problem the if else statement dint return correct result for me my script as below: #!/bin/ksh sqlplus -s /nolog <<EOF connect databaseuser/password column num new_value num format 9999 set head off select count(*) num from table1; exit num EOF if ; then echo "$?"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaseloh
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two tables using shell script

Hi, I want to compare two tables fieldwise using shell script. Can anyone help me regarding the same. The approach which i tried is to first move the two tables in simple txt file where each field is now seperated by space. But i can't retrive each field with "space" as a seperator b'coz there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dtidke
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to compare two files using shell script

hi experts please help me to compare two files which are in different directory file1<file will be master file> (/home/rev/mas.txt} ex x1 x2 file2 <will be in different folder> (/home/rev/per/.....) ex x3 x4 the filesinside per folder i need to compare with master file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revenna
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare two lines using shell script?

how to compare two lines using shell script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suman_dba1
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String compare with list in shell script

Hi , I am new to shell scripting. below is my requirement : 1) while running my .sh i will pass a string 2) i have to extract a folder name under a /config folder 3) i need to compare a input string in the folder name list 4) if that is true i have to continue my job else i have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajinavaneethan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Compare Two Files

I have a directory with about 6 files that we receive regularly. these 6 files contain information for 3 different units, 2 for each unit. files related to a specific unit are named similarly with a change in number at the end of the file. the numbers should be sequential. for each grouping of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptman237
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare two files

I have two files; file A and file B. I need all the entries of file A to be compared with file B line by line. If the entry exists on file B, then save those on file C; if no then save it on file D Note :- all the columns of the lines of file A need to be compared, except the last two columns... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script

Hi All, I am trying to to compare a string variable with a string literal inside a loop but keep getting the ./testifstructure.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh BOOK_LIST="BOOK1 BOOK2" for BOOK in ${BOOK_LIST} do if then echo '1' else echo '2' fi done Please use next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveu7
1 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Want a tcl script to compare a string in a file ignoring white spaces

Hi , I want a tcl script to search a string ignoring whitespaces in a .log file . It should correctly match . The string are as follows "Output-Maps 1 1 0 0 0" 1 and Active Intermediate-Maps 0 0 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kulua
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
escape(1)                                                       Mail Avenger 0.8.3                                                       escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)