Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: using fdisk
Operating Systems Solaris using fdisk Post 302260832 by seyiisq on Friday 21st of November 2008 08:14:54 PM
Old 11-21-2008
Thanks jlliagre, As described in your response i tried but got the following error.

Code:
# fdisk -v -W - /dev/rdsk/c0d0p0
fdisk: Cannot stat device /dev/rdsk/c0d0p0.
# echo 6 | fdisk /dev/rdsk/c0d0p0
fdisk: Cannot stat device /dev/rdsk/c0d0p0.

Pls can someone help looks into this

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(c)fdisk and RedHat 7.2

I recently installed RedHat 7.2, and cannot find any tools to partition the disks other than during the install. I did a find from / for fdisk and cfdisk, neither turned up. I looked in the RPM directories on the CD's, again no good. What rpm contains a partition management tool? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using fdisk in scripts

Hi ! I need to create large amount of portions for database in Linux. Untill now I've used fdisk for manual creation of chunks and changing thei? file system type. Now I want to write script for create them automatically. I think I'm not the first who deal with that problem! Thank you for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Frank_a
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange results from FDISK?????

Hi all, I am writing script that returns the size of each disk or partition when called. I am using FDISK -l and parsing the results to get the result I want. When I execute fdisk -l it shows correct results, BUT when I execute the same thing with results to be put in a variable, I get strange... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

FDISK problems

OS= Fedora 10 I have a secondary 250GB disk of which I created a 50G partition on to try and set-up an LFS system. I finished with the LFS system and now I want to destroy the partition and reclaim all of the 250GB. So i simply ran fdisk /dev/sdb and deleted the 2 Linux partitions ( one 83 and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HEREDOC with fdisk

Hi folks What I'm trying is to build a partitioning script. I can pass a HEREDOC to fdisk just fine. Like this: fdisk /dev/sda << EOF p q EOF but I don't know how to put that HEREDOC into a varible to pass it to fdisk. This is what I have tried so far (no luck) #!/bin/bash ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: latenite
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fdisk v/s parted

Just started understanding linux filesystem and partition utilities. I was going though some video tutorials by CBT nuggets and the author was cursing fdisk as fuzzy tool and recommending to use parted instead. In our job environment i have seen almost every one using fdisk utility for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

7. Solaris

fdisk

Hi All, fdisk -l in linux equals in fdisk option in Solaris Thanks.......... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvkarthykeyan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Analyse this fdisk -l

Hi, Someone please analyse the following o/p of fdisk -l and tell me what it means for /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc .... Disk /dev/sda: 53.6 GB, 53687091200 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 6527 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
5 Replies

9. BSD

OpenBSD fdisk - Linux fdisk compatibility ?

Hello, MBR partition table made by linux fdisk looks certainly not correct when printed by openbsd fdisk: Partition table created on linux (centos 6.3): # fdisk -l /dev/sdc Disk /dev/sdc: 10.7 GB, 10737418240 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1305 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix fdisk -l Automation

Hello Folks - Need help really ASAP. Iam trying to run this Shell command to get all the lists of partitions and disks from across all the servers. #!/bin/ksh _servers="" _out="/tmp/output.$$" _ssh=/usr/bin/ssh >$_out for s in $_servers do $_ssh $s fdisk -l >> $_out done ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkilaru
8 Replies
cmdk(7D)							      Devices								  cmdk(7D)

NAME
cmdk - common disk driver SYNOPSIS
cmdk@target, lun : [ partition | slice ] DESCRIPTION
The cmdk device driver is a common interface to various disk devices. The driver supports magnetic fixed disks and magnetic removable disks. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A sin- gle read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmit- ted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the magnetic disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device (IDE) /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device (IDE) where: cn controller n dn lun n (0-7) sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/cmdk 32-bit kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/cmdk 64-bit kernel module. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), scsi(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 cmdk(7D)