Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: using fdisk
Operating Systems Solaris using fdisk Post 302260685 by jlliagre on Friday 21st of November 2008 12:23:59 PM
Old 11-21-2008
The fdisk manual page is unfortunately lacking examples that would help answering this simple question. Here are sample fdisk commands:

Code:
fdisk -v -W - /dev/rdsk/c0d0p0

Code:
echo 6 | fdisk /dev/rdsk/c0d0p0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(c)fdisk and RedHat 7.2

I recently installed RedHat 7.2, and cannot find any tools to partition the disks other than during the install. I did a find from / for fdisk and cfdisk, neither turned up. I looked in the RPM directories on the CD's, again no good. What rpm contains a partition management tool? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using fdisk in scripts

Hi ! I need to create large amount of portions for database in Linux. Untill now I've used fdisk for manual creation of chunks and changing thei? file system type. Now I want to write script for create them automatically. I think I'm not the first who deal with that problem! Thank you for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Frank_a
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange results from FDISK?????

Hi all, I am writing script that returns the size of each disk or partition when called. I am using FDISK -l and parsing the results to get the result I want. When I execute fdisk -l it shows correct results, BUT when I execute the same thing with results to be put in a variable, I get strange... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

FDISK problems

OS= Fedora 10 I have a secondary 250GB disk of which I created a 50G partition on to try and set-up an LFS system. I finished with the LFS system and now I want to destroy the partition and reclaim all of the 250GB. So i simply ran fdisk /dev/sdb and deleted the 2 Linux partitions ( one 83 and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HEREDOC with fdisk

Hi folks What I'm trying is to build a partitioning script. I can pass a HEREDOC to fdisk just fine. Like this: fdisk /dev/sda << EOF p q EOF but I don't know how to put that HEREDOC into a varible to pass it to fdisk. This is what I have tried so far (no luck) #!/bin/bash ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: latenite
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fdisk v/s parted

Just started understanding linux filesystem and partition utilities. I was going though some video tutorials by CBT nuggets and the author was cursing fdisk as fuzzy tool and recommending to use parted instead. In our job environment i have seen almost every one using fdisk utility for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

7. Solaris

fdisk

Hi All, fdisk -l in linux equals in fdisk option in Solaris Thanks.......... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvkarthykeyan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Analyse this fdisk -l

Hi, Someone please analyse the following o/p of fdisk -l and tell me what it means for /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc .... Disk /dev/sda: 53.6 GB, 53687091200 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 6527 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
5 Replies

9. BSD

OpenBSD fdisk - Linux fdisk compatibility ?

Hello, MBR partition table made by linux fdisk looks certainly not correct when printed by openbsd fdisk: Partition table created on linux (centos 6.3): # fdisk -l /dev/sdc Disk /dev/sdc: 10.7 GB, 10737418240 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1305 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix fdisk -l Automation

Hello Folks - Need help really ASAP. Iam trying to run this Shell command to get all the lists of partitions and disks from across all the servers. #!/bin/ksh _servers="" _out="/tmp/output.$$" _ssh=/usr/bin/ssh >$_out for s in $_servers do $_ssh $s fdisk -l >> $_out done ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkilaru
8 Replies
PVRESIZE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       PVRESIZE(8)

NAME
pvresize - resize a disk or partition in use by LVM2 SYNOPSIS
pvresize [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] [--version] [--setphysicalvolumesize size] PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume...] DESCRIPTION
pvresize resizes PhysicalVolume which may already be in a volume group and have active logical volumes allocated on it. OPTIONS
See lvm(8) for common options. --setphysicalvolumesize size Overrides the automatically-detected size of the PV. Use with care, or prior to reducing the physical size of the device. EXAMPLES
Expand the PV on /dev/sda1 after enlarging the partition with fdisk: pvresize /dev/sda1 Shrink the PV on /dev/sda1 prior to shrinking the partition with fdisk (ensure that the PV size is appropriate for your intended new parti- tion size): pvresize --setphysicalvolumesize 40G /dev/sda1 RESTRICTIONS
pvresize will refuse to shrink PhysicalVolume if it has allocated extents after where its new end would be. In the future, it should relo- cate these elsewhere in the volume group if there is sufficient free space, like pvmove does. pvresize won't currently work correctly on LVM1 volumes or PVs with extra metadata areas. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), pvmove(8), lvresize(8), fdisk(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) PVRESIZE(8)