Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ping by hostname
Operating Systems AIX Ping by hostname Post 302260374 by lo-lp-kl on Thursday 20th of November 2008 10:28:24 AM
Old 11-20-2008
Ping by hostname

Thanks for your comments funksen and bakunin

I have one question which files I need to check por to see "If the system is configured to try using a nameserver"

I add the line hosts=local4 in the /etc/hosts.

And I dont use ldap or nis name resolution but in my file /etc/netsvc.conf I have this hosts=bind4,local

I have to put the dns on the /etc/resolv.conf because If I dont do this, when I try to login takes some time (like a minute) to let me in the server. but this dns not are own

Thanks for your tips again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

UX 11iV2 - No ping by hostname

Hi. I just installed the HP-UX 11i V2. I have problems with CDE - it is inoperative (after logon there is a message box: messaging system failure - or something like that, it asks to check /etc/hosts and network settings). nslookup works by hostname and IP, hostname shown the correct... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netwalker
7 Replies

3. Solaris

cannot ping by hostname

Hi All, My current setup is: 1x Windows Server (Windows 2000 server) 1x Unix Server 2x Windows machine 3x Unix Terminals (Hostnames = A, B and C) Problem The problem iam having is Unix terminal C cannot be ping across by Unix terminal A or B or Unix server by using the hostname. Unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tlee
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Can't ping using hostname on Solaris 10

I recently installed Solaris 10 on my Sun workstation. I cannot ping using hostname from another computer on the same network. But I can ping using the IP address. Also I can ping other systems using their hostnames. Can anyone give some information regarding how to resolve this issue. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha123
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suse 10 SP3 won't ping hostname

hi guys I got something I haven't been able to fix I configure a Linux Suse 10 box, added static IP, DNS (resolv), gateway (routes) but I am not able to ping other servers by name but nslookup works and the server can navigate on internet check below the problematic server is server-host20 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping by hostname not working

anyone ever seen this problem: I can ping the server by IP address but I can't by hostname. nslookup is working and dns query is ok. # nslookup mwxnsb24 Server: 10.11.49.206 Address: 10.11.49.206#53 Name: mwxnsb24 Address: 10.10.58.175 # ping... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
8 Replies

8. Solaris

my sun solaris 10 cannot ping and nslookup other server using hostname.

hi.... i have sun solaris 10 server, fedora 10, and Windows Server.. i cant ping my sun solaris 10, fedora 10 and Windows Server using hostname (etc: ping winserver.bengkel2.com), but i can ping all using IPV4 and IPV6 address.. can u give some suggestion to solve my problem or some idea to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: izuan_7657
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping the hostname of many servers using a script

Hi We have some 300 servers in the Data center and some of them are running with AIX and some of them are running with Solaris. I need a script which can be run in one of the server and that script should ping the hostname of all the 300 servers. Also the script should notify if any server is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
9 Replies

10. IP Networking

DNS problem : ping doesn't recognize hostname

I have vmware on my windows PC ( hostname : acer ). vmware has RHEL 7 ( hostname : rhel7 ) installed recently. RHEL IP configuration IP : 192.168.5.128 Netmask : 255.255.255.0 ssh to rhel7 works from acer using putty resolve.conf cat /etc/resolv.conf nameserver 192.168.5.1 host... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
12 Replies
avahi-daemon(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   avahi-daemon(8)

NAME
avahi-daemon - The Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon SYNOPSIS
avahi-daemon [options] avahi-daemon --kill avahi-daemon --reload avahi-daemon --check DESCRIPTION
The Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon implements Apple's Zeroconf architecture (also known as "Rendezvous" or "Bonjour"). The daemon registers local IP addresses and static services using mDNS/DNS-SD and provides two IPC APIs for local programs to make use of the mDNS record cache the avahi-daemon maintains. First there is the so called "simple protocol" which is used exclusively by avahi-dnsconfd (a daemon which config- ures unicast DNS servers using server info published via mDNS) and nss-mdns (a libc NSS plugin, providing name resolution via mDNS). Finally there is the D-Bus interface which provides a rich object oriented interface to D-Bus enabled applications. Upon startup avahi-daemon interprets its configuration file /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf and reads XML fragments from /etc/avahi/ser- vices/*.service which may define static DNS-SD services. If you enable publish-resolv-conf-dns-servers in avahi-daemon.conf the file /etc/resolv.conf will be read, too. OPTIONS
-f | --file= FILE Specify the configuration file to read. (default: /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf) -D | --daemonize Daemonize after startup. Implies --syslog. -s | --syslog Log to syslog instead of STDERR. Implied by --daemonize. --debug Increase verbosity to debug level. --no-rlimits Don't enforce resource limits as specified in the configuration file. (See setrlimit(2) for more information) --no-drop-root Don't drop root privileges after startup and don't require daemon to be started as root. We recommend not to use this option. --no-chroot Don't chroot(2) the daemon. This option is only available when compiled with chroot() support. --no-proc-title Don't change the process name while running. Unless this option is specified avahi-daemon will reflect its current state and the selected host name in the process title. -k | --kill Kill an already running avahi-daemon. (equivalent to sending a SIGTERM) -r | --reload Tell an already running avahi-daemon to reread /etc/resolv.conf (in case you enabled publish-resolv-conf-dns-servers in avahi-dae- mon.conf) the files from /etc/avahi/services/. Please note that this will not reload the /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf. (equivalent to sending a SIGHUP) -c | --check Return 0 as return code when avahi-daemon is already running. -h | --help Show help -v | --version Show version information FILES
/etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf: the default configuration file for avahi-daemon, avahi-daemon.conf(5) for more information. /etc/avahi/hosts: additional static hostname mappings to publish in mDNS, see avahi.hosts(5) for more information. /etc/avahi/services/*.service: static service definitions, see avahi.service(5) for more information. SIGNALS
SIGINT, SIGTERM: avahi-daemon will shutdown. (Same as --kill). SIGHUP: avahi-daemon will reload unicast DNS server data from /etc/resolv.conf and static service definitions from /etc/avahi/services/. (Same as --reload) SIGUSR1: avahi-daemon will dump local and remote cached resource record data to syslog. AUTHORS
The Avahi Developers <avahi (at) lists (dot) freedesktop (dot) org>; Avahi is available from http://avahi.org/ SEE ALSO
avahi-daemon.conf(5), avahi.hosts(5), avahi.service(5), avahi-dnsconfd(8), avahi-set-host-name(1) http://avahi.org/wiki/AvahiAndUnicastDotLocal documents the problems when using Avahi in a unicast DNS zone .local. COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User avahi-daemon(8)