Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: geting the real path
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting geting the real path Post 302258198 by chebarbudo on Friday 14th of November 2008 02:55:41 AM
Old 11-14-2008
Great job ! Thank you
It looks so simple ! I would never have thought about it.
What if we want to clean the path to a file ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

geting server name(ipaddress)

hi, can any one say how to get the server name if we know the ipaddress ie nslookup gives ipaddress if server name is given in the same way can i have server name if i know ipaddress thanks & regards babu :o (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babu@shell
1 Replies

2. Solaris

I am geting error while trying to stop managed server of WEB LOGIC

Dear All, I am geting error while trying to stop managed server of WEB LOGIC through the command stop_wls managed1_wlsdom02.Can anyone tell me why I am geting this error?managed1_wlsdom02.pid exists at the path mentioned. Do you need any other details?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASHISH MISHRA
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

geting user input from php and using perl for execution

I am using festival speech synthesis system and I would like to allow user input in a browser. This will be taken by a php page which is then supposed to pass the input text to a perl script. The perl script should pass this text to the festival engine by executing a unix command. this in turn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wairimus
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getting real path to directory

Hi friends, Need your help. The question is: 1) We have directory '/SomeDirectory/SubDirectory' 2) And have symlink pointing to it like '/AnotherOneDirectory/symlink' '/AnotherOneDirectory/symlink' -> '/SomeDirectory/SubDirectory' 3) Need to get real path without symlinks knowing only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kandrewo
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

geting a value out of awk script

the value of flag is reset inside the awk statments and is not getting echoed out of it. how can this be done?? #!/bin/ksh flag=0 awk -F '' '$2 == "ABCD" && $6 == "MNOP"{flag=1}' file.xml echo $flag I am always getting the value of flag as "0" , even after the $2 is "ABCD" and $6 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

6. AIX

Geting a value dynamically from topas

Hi all, I got an idea to get a value (like Syscall or %comp details for example)dynamically from topas. Is there any way to do this. I guss there must be some door opened for this. I tried running topas and redirecting to a file but in vain. The idea is, script should run topas in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadeava
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel Modules Not geting built

I installed in VM the Mandriva Linux with 2.6.27 kernel. But presently when I fire make the modules .ko does not get built. I get the following output on firing command in the kernel module folder. $ make Building first_driver.c ... make: Entering directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to find the perfect code...Geting confused in between

I have to find last delimiter in each line of a file and store the value after the last '/' in a variable in ksh script...Pls Pls help me:(The file is as shown below: /opt/apps/cobqa/apps/abadv/bind/advc0007.bnd /opt/apps/cobqa/apps/abbrio/bind/naac6115.bnd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavanabahety
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get real path to a file?

Hello, I need download a mp3 file from a site but I can not find the actual link. Thanks. Source codes <span title="what is" class="read"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="au/audio.swf" width="17" height="13" align="texttop" quality="high" loop="false" menu="false"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tara123
1 Replies
BASENAME(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       BASENAME(3)

NAME
basename -- extract the base portion of a pathname SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char * basename(char *path); DESCRIPTION
The basename() function returns the last component from the pathname pointed to by path, deleting any trailing '/' characters. If path con- sists entirely of '/' characters, a pointer to the string "/" is returned. If path is a null pointer or the empty string, a pointer to the string "." is returned. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, basename() returns a pointer to the last component of path. If basename() fails, a null pointer is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The following error codes may be set in errno: [ENAMETOOLONG] The path component to be returned was larger than MAXPATHLEN. WARNINGS
The basename() function returns a pointer to internal static storage space that will be overwritten by subsequent calls. The function may modify the string pointed to by path. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char * basename(const char *path); In legacy mode, path will not be changed. SEE ALSO
basename(1), dirname(1), dirname(3), compat(5) STANDARDS
The basename() function conforms to X/Open Portability Guide Issue 4, Version 2 (``XPG4.2''). HISTORY
The basename() function first appeared in OpenBSD 2.2 and FreeBSD 4.2. AUTHORS
Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller@courtesan.com> BSD
August 17, 1997 BSD