Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: geting the real path
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting geting the real path Post 302257777 by chebarbudo on Thursday 13th of November 2008 04:26:30 AM
Old 11-13-2008
MySQL geting the real path

Hi there,
Is there any way to obtain a real path from a weird path. For example :
Code:
/foo/../bar/    ->  /bar/
/foo/.          ->  /foo/

Thanks in advance
Santiago

Last edited by chebarbudo; 02-11-2009 at 04:11 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

geting server name(ipaddress)

hi, can any one say how to get the server name if we know the ipaddress ie nslookup gives ipaddress if server name is given in the same way can i have server name if i know ipaddress thanks & regards babu :o (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babu@shell
1 Replies

2. Solaris

I am geting error while trying to stop managed server of WEB LOGIC

Dear All, I am geting error while trying to stop managed server of WEB LOGIC through the command stop_wls managed1_wlsdom02.Can anyone tell me why I am geting this error?managed1_wlsdom02.pid exists at the path mentioned. Do you need any other details?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASHISH MISHRA
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

geting user input from php and using perl for execution

I am using festival speech synthesis system and I would like to allow user input in a browser. This will be taken by a php page which is then supposed to pass the input text to a perl script. The perl script should pass this text to the festival engine by executing a unix command. this in turn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wairimus
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getting real path to directory

Hi friends, Need your help. The question is: 1) We have directory '/SomeDirectory/SubDirectory' 2) And have symlink pointing to it like '/AnotherOneDirectory/symlink' '/AnotherOneDirectory/symlink' -> '/SomeDirectory/SubDirectory' 3) Need to get real path without symlinks knowing only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kandrewo
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

geting a value out of awk script

the value of flag is reset inside the awk statments and is not getting echoed out of it. how can this be done?? #!/bin/ksh flag=0 awk -F '' '$2 == "ABCD" && $6 == "MNOP"{flag=1}' file.xml echo $flag I am always getting the value of flag as "0" , even after the $2 is "ABCD" and $6 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

6. AIX

Geting a value dynamically from topas

Hi all, I got an idea to get a value (like Syscall or %comp details for example)dynamically from topas. Is there any way to do this. I guss there must be some door opened for this. I tried running topas and redirecting to a file but in vain. The idea is, script should run topas in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadeava
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel Modules Not geting built

I installed in VM the Mandriva Linux with 2.6.27 kernel. But presently when I fire make the modules .ko does not get built. I get the following output on firing command in the kernel module folder. $ make Building first_driver.c ... make: Entering directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to find the perfect code...Geting confused in between

I have to find last delimiter in each line of a file and store the value after the last '/' in a variable in ksh script...Pls Pls help me:(The file is as shown below: /opt/apps/cobqa/apps/abadv/bind/advc0007.bnd /opt/apps/cobqa/apps/abbrio/bind/naac6115.bnd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavanabahety
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get real path to a file?

Hello, I need download a mp3 file from a site but I can not find the actual link. Thanks. Source codes <span title="what is" class="read"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="au/audio.swf" width="17" height="13" align="texttop" quality="high" loop="false" menu="false"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tara123
1 Replies
DIRNAME(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						DIRNAME(3)

NAME
dirname -- extract the directory part of a pathname SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char * dirname(char *path); DESCRIPTION
The dirname() function is the converse of basename(3); it returns a pointer to the parent directory of the pathname pointed to by path. Any trailing '/' characters are not counted as part of the directory name. If path is a null pointer, the empty string, or contains no '/' char- acters, dirname() returns a pointer to the string ".", signifying the current directory. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The dirname() function returns a pointer to internal storage space allocated on the first call that will be overwritten by subsequent calls. Other vendor implementations of dirname() may modify the contents of the string passed to dirname(); if portability is desired, this should be taken into account when writing code which calls this function. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char * dirname(const char *path); In legacy mode, path will not be changed. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, dirname() returns a pointer to the parent directory of path. If dirname() fails, a null pointer is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The following error codes may be set in errno: [ENAMETOOLONG] The path component to be returned was larger than MAXPATHLEN. SEE ALSO
basename(1), dirname(1), basename(3), compat(5) STANDARDS
The dirname() function conforms to X/Open Portability Guide Issue 4, Version 2 (``XPG4.2''). HISTORY
The dirname() function first appeared in OpenBSD 2.2 and FreeBSD 4.2. AUTHORS
Todd C. Miller BSD
October 12, 2006 BSD