Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Need help with running the tar command using system() call in C Post 302256857 by migurus on Monday 10th of November 2008 06:17:20 PM
Old 11-10-2008
Make sure you check result code, also take care of error/warning that tar spits out on stderr

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call dot c file using system command

Hi every one, i have to dot pc files. One have main function but one dont have.I have to call dot pc file using system () cmd.File is being call have main function.Please let me know how i can call .pc file with two arguments from other dot pc file.I want some thing like sprintf(buf,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goraya430
1 Replies

5. Programming

how to call dot c file using system command

Hi every one, i have to dot pc files. One have main function but one dont have.I have to call dot pc file using system () cmd.File is being call have main function.Please let me know how i can call .pc file with two arguments from other dot pc file.I want some thing like sprintf(buf, "ss_xxx.pc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goraya430
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script in system() call and want the script's output

Hi All, I have a script(sample.sh) displaying the output of "dd" command. Now i am using this script in system() call as, system("sh sample.sh") in an application file. I want the output of system("sh sample.sh") in the application file itself. How can i get it? Many thnaks.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call the System command twice in the same perl script...

Hello experts, I have a perl script which looks for the ARGV and then loads the data as per it. Example. #Checking the server to connect if ($ARGV eq 'QA') { $ENV{"ORACLE_HOME"} = "/oracle/product/11.2.0"; $ENV{"PATH"} = "$ENV{'PATH'}:/oracle/product/11.2.0/bin"; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msrahman
1 Replies

8. Programming

need help with system call

hi everyone i wrote a system call and compiled the kernel succesfully... my system call is in a file in the kernel folder named my_syscall1.c (kernel/my_syscall1.c) the header file for this system call i added it in the folder include like this include/my_syscall1/my_syscall1.h my problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demis87
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not correct processing of “\ “ in names of dirs inside shell script (tar command - system backup scr

Hello, Recently, I've started with shell scripting, and decided to write a script for my system backup using tar. When I was dealing with tar execution inside shell script I found this, inside shell we have the following code: tar $TAR_PARAMS $ARCHIVE_FILE $EXCLUDE $BACKUP_STARTwith... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilnar
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies
LR_RUN.IN(1)						  LogReport's Lire Documentation					      LR_RUN.IN(1)

NAME
lr_run - run a Lire program and deal with the logging output SYNOPSIS
lr_run program arguments DESCRIPTION
lr_run runs program, and redirects program's stderr output to logger(1). It parses programs logging output, and sets logger(1)'s flags accordingly. lr_run gets configuration from sysconfdir/lire/defaults. In case 'lr_logging_method' is set to 'stderr', logger(1) is not involved: logging output gets redirected to stderr. In case 'lr_debug' is set to the empty string, messages with loglevel debug and info get suppressed. The configuration variable 'lr_logging_facility' is used to find logger(1)'s facility. NOTES
program's output on stderr should be in format superservice service id programname level message. level should be one of: emerg (system is unusable), alert (action must be taken immediately), crit (critical conditions), err (error conditions), warning (warning conditions), notice (normal, but significant, condition), info (informational message), debug (debug-level message). See syslog(3). id can be used to tag each Lire job, so that these can get tracked. programname should be the name of the program which generated the log line. EXAMPLES
To process a Postfix log and display the report as text, use $ lr_run lr_log2report postfix < /var/log/mail.log To process a Postfix log and create the report in HTML (packed up in a tar archive), use: $ lr_run lr_log2report -o html postfix < /var/log/mail.log > postfix.tar SEE ALSO
Documentation in the Lire User Manual VERSION
$Id: lr_run.in,v 1.23 2006/07/23 13:16:33 vanbaal Exp $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Stichting LogReport Foundation LogReport@LogReport.org This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. THANKS
Rudi Sluijtman, for sharing some thoughts on shell scripting. AUTHOR
Joost van Baal <joostvb@logreport.org> Lire 2.1.1 2006-07-23 LR_RUN.IN(1)