Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl System command calls to variable Post 302256672 by 4scriptmoni on Monday 10th of November 2008 10:46:53 AM
Old 11-10-2008
works

thanks it worked.
Now i have little problem with output.
I performa backup but tar always give me a output:
"tar: Removing leading `/' from member names"
I tried using &>/dev/null || exit 0 but no help...

Code:
sub backup()
{
    #Backup a folder and move it
    my @f = (localtime)[3..5]; # grabs day/month/year values
    my $datex = $f[1] +1 ."-". $f[0]; 
    my $filename = "bkp-scripts_".$datex.".tgz";
    #print "$filename\n";
    #  &> /dev/null" redirects both stdout and stderr to /dev/null. Dosent work!
    `tar zcf "/home/backup/$filename" /scripts &>/dev/null || exit 0`;
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

6. Programming

System calls

why user is not able to switch from user to kernel mode by writing the function whose code is identical to system call. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
1 Replies

7. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Command to trace System Calls on HP UX

All, Kindly let me know command which is used to trace the system calls on HP - UX server when an executable is run. On Solaris we have TRUSS which does the need. On HP UX we have TUSC command which is a third party software. Currently this is not installed on my HP Server. If there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: helper
3 Replies
BUTC_LOGS(5)							AFS File Reference						      BUTC_LOGS(5)

NAME
butc_logs - Message logs from the Tape Coordinator process DESCRIPTION
The Backup System Tape Coordinator (butc) process generates two log files per device, one for error messages and one for actions. Error Message Log The TE_device_name file logs error messages generated by the Backup System Tape Coordinator that controls the tape device or backup data file indicated by device_name. As the Tape Coordinator initializes, it creates the file in ASCII format in the /var/lib/openafs/backup directory. If there is an existing file, the Tape Coordinator renames it to TE_device_name.old>, overwriting the existing TE_device_name.old> file if it exists. For a tape device, the Tape Coordinator derives the variable device_name portion of the filename from the device pathname listed in the local /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, by stripping off the initial "/dev/" string and replacing any other slashes in the name with underscores. For example, the filename for a device called /dev/rmt/4m is TE_rmt_4m. Similarly, for a backup data file the Tape Coordinator strips off the initial slash ("/") and replaces any other slashes in the name with underscores. For example, the filename for a backup data file called /var/tmp/FILE is TE_var_tmp_FILE. The messages in the file describe the error and warning conditions the Tape Coordinator encounters as it operates. For instance, a message can list the volumes that are inaccessible during a dump operation, or warn that the Tape Coordinator is overwriting a tape or backup data file. The messages also appear in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/TL_device_name file, which traces most of the Tape Coordinator's actions. Action Log The TL_device_name file logs the actions performed by the Backup System Tape Coordinator that controls the tape device or backup data file indicated by device_name. It also records the same error and warning messages written to the TE_device_name file. As the Tape Coordinator initializes, it creates the file in ASCII format in the /var/lib/openafs/backup directory. If there is an existing file, the Tape Coordinator renames it to TL_device_name.old, overwriting the existing TL_device_name.old file if it exists. For a tape device, the Tape Coordinator derives the variable device_name portion of the filename from the device pathname listed in the local /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, by stripping off the initial "/dev/" string and replacing any other slashes in the name with underscores. For example, the filename for a device called /dev/rmt/4m is TL_rmt_4m. Similarly, for a backup data file the Tape Coordinator strips off the initial slash ("/") and replaces any other slashes in the name with underscores. For example, the filename for a backup data file called /var/tmp/FILE is TL_var_tmp_FILE. SEE ALSO
tapeconfig(5), butc(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BUTC_LOGS(5)