Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Find Virtual address space size for process Post 302254862 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 5th of November 2008 10:41:57 AM
Old 11-05-2008
Your assumption seems wrong to me.

First off, Shamrock showed you how to get address space there is for a process versus how much "physical" virtual space is available through hardware and disk files.

The "hardware" part is OS dependent. Your assumption is that somehow the system reserves virtual space for each process. NO. It does not. The system gives memory space via sbrk() or brk() calls to any process requesting it. brk() fails when there is no more virtual space to be had. sbrk() returns SBRK_FAILED and brk() returns -1 on failure.

If the system "set aside" memory ahead of time, then these calls would not be needed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the size of Process Address space.

Hello, Please help me to know, How to find out the how much amount of process addres space is required/is used for/by a process. Tnx & Regards Vishwa. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to find out the stack size occupied for a process?

Hi, In Linux how to find out what will be the stack size allocated for a process? Actually i have to fork n number of processess, and will call exec. I will be execing an executable which is already multithreaded and each thread size is defined. My doubt is how to know if the size of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i get The total size of the process in virtual memory om GB or MB

Hello all im using the ps -ef "args vsz" | some.exe but the result is in kb , is there some kind of way or flag ( didnt found in the ps man ) to convert me this data to GB or MG in human readable format ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find process size script

Hello i am working on a project here is part of script that i need a help in get process SpectroSERVER current size if it exceed 3850 MB then #pkill -TERM ArchMgr and wait to succfull shutdown message from the log file to proceed to the next step #tail -f $SPECROOT/SS/DDM/ARCHMGR.OUT... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogabr
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can kernel process access user address space ?

Can kernel process access user address space ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhotech
2 Replies

6. Programming

How to get address space size that a process is allowed to use

Hi All, From C++, I just want to find the address space size that a process is allowed to use. For ex, in 32 bit OS the allowed address space is 4GB and in 64 bit OS I guess this is 16GB or more. I jsut want to find it in my C++ project. Is there any API calls that gives me such information.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sendil Kumar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process self-exec and virtual memory size

Hello all, To do a self-exec or self-restart of a process when it crosses the threshold memory limit, I use the value of virtual memory size field from /proc/$pid/stat file and do a self-exec. According to man 5 proc vsize %lu Virtual memory size in bytes. I just want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What would the physical address be for virtual address?

Hi guys, I got one problem which I definetily no idea. What would the physical address be for virtual address? 1) 2ABC 2) 3F4B Here is the page table:see attached Thank you sos sososososso much!! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemon_06
0 Replies

9. Programming

PC RAM and process address space

Suppose I have 3 gb of ram and 250 gb hard disk in my pc. Now I wrote a simple C program having only one statement malloc() to allocate 4 gb of memory as 32 bit os can address 4gb address space then will the malloc succeed? If yes then how it will get extra 1 gb of memory? Does the process gets... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
3 Replies

10. Programming

How to decrease virtual size of a process after cleaning all containers and using malloc_trim (0)?

Hello all i have simple server running on linux redhat 6.1 it is build with c++ in the server i have huge std vector that holds pointers to cache objects those cache objects holds allot of data from the DB any way ... in some point in time there is simple API that suppose to clean the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies
brk(2)								   System Calls 							    brk(2)

NAME
brk, sbrk - change the amount of space allocated for the calling process's data segment SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int brk(void *endds); void *sbrk(intptr_t incr); DESCRIPTION
The brk() and sbrk() functions are used to change dynamically the amount of space allocated for the calling process's data segment (see exec(2)). The change is made by resetting the process's break value and allocating the appropriate amount of space. The break value is the address of the first location beyond the end of the data segment. The amount of allocated space increases as the break value increases. Newly allocated space is set to zero. If, however, the same memory space is reallocated to the same process its contents are undefined. When a program begins execution using execve() the break is set at the highest location defined by the program and data storage areas. The getrlimit(2) function may be used to determine the maximum permissible size of the data segment; it is not possible to set the break beyond the rlim_max value returned from a call to getrlimit(), that is to say, "end + rlim.rlim_max." See end(3C). The brk() function sets the break value to endds and changes the allocated space accordingly. The sbrk() function adds incr function bytes to the break value and changes the allocated space accordingly. The incr function can be neg- ative, in which case the amount of allocated space is decreased. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, brk() returns 0. Otherwise, it returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. Upon successful completion, sbrk() returns the prior break value. Otherwise, it returns (void *)-1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The brk() and sbrk() functions will fail and no additional memory will be allocated if: ENOMEM The data segment size limit as set by setrlimit() (see getrlimit(2)) would be exceeded; the maximum possible size of a data segment (compiled into the system) would be exceeded; insufficient space exists in the swap area to support the expansion; or the new break value would extend into an area of the address space defined by some previously established mapping (see mmap(2)). EAGAIN Total amount of system memory available for private pages is temporarily insufficient. This may occur even though the space requested was less than the maximum data segment size (see ulimit(2)). USAGE
The behavior of brk() and sbrk() is unspecified if an application also uses any other memory functions (such as malloc(3C), mmap(2), free(3C)). The brk() and sbrk() functions have been used in specialized cases where no other memory allocation function provided the same capability. The use of mmap(2) is now preferred because it can be used portably with all other memory allocation functions and with any function that uses other allocation functions. It is unspecified whether the pointer returned by sbrk() is aligned suitably for any purpose. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exec(2), getrlimit(2), mmap(2), shmop(2), ulimit(2), end(3C), free(3C), malloc(3C) NOTES
The value of incr may be adjusted by the system before setting the new break value. Upon successful completion, the implementation guaran- tees a minimum of incr bytes will be added to the data segment if incr is a positive value. If incr is a negative value, a maximum of incr bytes will be removed from the data segment. This adjustment may not be necessary for all machine architectures. The value of the arguments to both brk() and sbrk() are rounded up for alignment with eight-byte boundaries. BUGS
Setting the break may fail due to a temporary lack of swap space. It is not possible to distinguish this from a failure caused by exceeding the maximum size of the data segment without consulting getrlimit(). SunOS 5.10 14 Jan 1997 brk(2)