Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Find Virtual address space size for process Post 302254575 by uiqbal on Tuesday 4th of November 2008 07:00:11 PM
Old 11-04-2008
Hi again,

I would always be working in 32 bit environment. My question is related to virtual memory or the memory user can allocate in a process -- i.e. the virtual address space of the process in user mode. How do i know that how much is reserved for the process on all the unix(help about any one of ibm aix, hp ux, sun os and linux welcomed)??

Best regards,
uiqbal

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the size of Process Address space.

Hello, Please help me to know, How to find out the how much amount of process addres space is required/is used for/by a process. Tnx & Regards Vishwa. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to find out the stack size occupied for a process?

Hi, In Linux how to find out what will be the stack size allocated for a process? Actually i have to fork n number of processess, and will call exec. I will be execing an executable which is already multithreaded and each thread size is defined. My doubt is how to know if the size of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i get The total size of the process in virtual memory om GB or MB

Hello all im using the ps -ef "args vsz" | some.exe but the result is in kb , is there some kind of way or flag ( didnt found in the ps man ) to convert me this data to GB or MG in human readable format ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find process size script

Hello i am working on a project here is part of script that i need a help in get process SpectroSERVER current size if it exceed 3850 MB then #pkill -TERM ArchMgr and wait to succfull shutdown message from the log file to proceed to the next step #tail -f $SPECROOT/SS/DDM/ARCHMGR.OUT... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogabr
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can kernel process access user address space ?

Can kernel process access user address space ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhotech
2 Replies

6. Programming

How to get address space size that a process is allowed to use

Hi All, From C++, I just want to find the address space size that a process is allowed to use. For ex, in 32 bit OS the allowed address space is 4GB and in 64 bit OS I guess this is 16GB or more. I jsut want to find it in my C++ project. Is there any API calls that gives me such information.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sendil Kumar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process self-exec and virtual memory size

Hello all, To do a self-exec or self-restart of a process when it crosses the threshold memory limit, I use the value of virtual memory size field from /proc/$pid/stat file and do a self-exec. According to man 5 proc vsize %lu Virtual memory size in bytes. I just want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What would the physical address be for virtual address?

Hi guys, I got one problem which I definetily no idea. What would the physical address be for virtual address? 1) 2ABC 2) 3F4B Here is the page table:see attached Thank you sos sososososso much!! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemon_06
0 Replies

9. Programming

PC RAM and process address space

Suppose I have 3 gb of ram and 250 gb hard disk in my pc. Now I wrote a simple C program having only one statement malloc() to allocate 4 gb of memory as 32 bit os can address 4gb address space then will the malloc succeed? If yes then how it will get extra 1 gb of memory? Does the process gets... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
3 Replies

10. Programming

How to decrease virtual size of a process after cleaning all containers and using malloc_trim (0)?

Hello all i have simple server running on linux redhat 6.1 it is build with c++ in the server i have huge std vector that holds pointers to cache objects those cache objects holds allot of data from the DB any way ... in some point in time there is simple API that suppose to clean the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies
PHYS(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PHYS(2)

NAME
phys - allow a process to access physical addresses (2BSD) SYNOPSIS
phys(segreg, size, physaddr) unsigned int segreg, size, physaddr; DESCRIPTION
The argument segreg specifies a process virtual (data-space) address range of 8K bytes starting at virtual address segregx8K bytes. This address range is mapped into physical address physaddrx64 bytes. Only the first sizex64 bytes of this mapping is addressable. If size is zero, any previous mapping of this virtual address range is nullified. For example, the call phys(7, 1, 0177775); will map virtual addresses 0160000-0160077 into physical addresses 017777500-017777577. In particular, virtual address 0160060 is the PDP-11 console located at physical address 017777560. This call may only be executed by the super-user. ERRORS
[EPERM] The process's effective user ID is not the super-user. [EINVAL] Segreg is less than 0 or greater than 7. [EINVAL] Size is less than 0 or greater than 128. SEE ALSO
PDP-11 segmentation hardware BUGS
On systems with ENABLE/34(tm) memory mapping boards, phys cannot be used to map in the I/O page. This system call is very dangerous. It is not considered a permanent part of the system. Phys is unique to the PDP-11 and 2BSD; its use is discouraged. 3rd Berkeley Distribution January 22, 1987 PHYS(2)