Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Find Virtual address space size for process Post 302254542 by odys on Tuesday 4th of November 2008 04:45:51 PM
Old 11-04-2008
Hello,

My suggestions:
1. sysconf() and _SC_PHYS_PAGES, not quite what you want and may be nonportable
2. /usr/bin/free or /proc/meminfo or equivalent to cut total memory from. I think you can write separate [portable] script that gets the information on platforms you need.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the size of Process Address space.

Hello, Please help me to know, How to find out the how much amount of process addres space is required/is used for/by a process. Tnx & Regards Vishwa. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to find out the stack size occupied for a process?

Hi, In Linux how to find out what will be the stack size allocated for a process? Actually i have to fork n number of processess, and will call exec. I will be execing an executable which is already multithreaded and each thread size is defined. My doubt is how to know if the size of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i get The total size of the process in virtual memory om GB or MB

Hello all im using the ps -ef "args vsz" | some.exe but the result is in kb , is there some kind of way or flag ( didnt found in the ps man ) to convert me this data to GB or MG in human readable format ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find process size script

Hello i am working on a project here is part of script that i need a help in get process SpectroSERVER current size if it exceed 3850 MB then #pkill -TERM ArchMgr and wait to succfull shutdown message from the log file to proceed to the next step #tail -f $SPECROOT/SS/DDM/ARCHMGR.OUT... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogabr
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can kernel process access user address space ?

Can kernel process access user address space ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhotech
2 Replies

6. Programming

How to get address space size that a process is allowed to use

Hi All, From C++, I just want to find the address space size that a process is allowed to use. For ex, in 32 bit OS the allowed address space is 4GB and in 64 bit OS I guess this is 16GB or more. I jsut want to find it in my C++ project. Is there any API calls that gives me such information.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sendil Kumar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process self-exec and virtual memory size

Hello all, To do a self-exec or self-restart of a process when it crosses the threshold memory limit, I use the value of virtual memory size field from /proc/$pid/stat file and do a self-exec. According to man 5 proc vsize %lu Virtual memory size in bytes. I just want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What would the physical address be for virtual address?

Hi guys, I got one problem which I definetily no idea. What would the physical address be for virtual address? 1) 2ABC 2) 3F4B Here is the page table:see attached Thank you sos sososososso much!! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemon_06
0 Replies

9. Programming

PC RAM and process address space

Suppose I have 3 gb of ram and 250 gb hard disk in my pc. Now I wrote a simple C program having only one statement malloc() to allocate 4 gb of memory as 32 bit os can address 4gb address space then will the malloc succeed? If yes then how it will get extra 1 gb of memory? Does the process gets... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
3 Replies

10. Programming

How to decrease virtual size of a process after cleaning all containers and using malloc_trim (0)?

Hello all i have simple server running on linux redhat 6.1 it is build with c++ in the server i have huge std vector that holds pointers to cache objects those cache objects holds allot of data from the DB any way ... in some point in time there is simple API that suppose to clean the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies
mlock(2)							System Calls Manual							  mlock(2)

NAME
mlock() - lock a segment of the process virtual address space in memory SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system call allows the calling process to lock a segment of the process virtual address space into memory. Any addressable segment of the process' address space may be locked. Locked segments are immune to all routine swapping. addr must be a valid address in the process virtual address space. addr + len must also be a valid address in the process virtual address space. Locks are applied at page boundaries that encompass the range from addr to addr + len. If any address within the range is not valid, an error is returned and no locks are applied. or can be used to unlock memory segments (or all memory segments) locked with Regardless of how many times a process locks a page, a single or will unlock it. An of a page within a range specified in an call results in only the range specified in the being unlocked. When memory is shared by multiple processes and mlocks are applied to the same physical page by multiple processes, a page remains locked until the last lock is removed from that page. Locks applied with are not inherited by a child process. The user must have the privilege. Although and the family of functions may be used together in an application, each may affect the other in unexpected ways. This practice is not recommended. Security Restrictions Some or all of the actions associated with this system call require the privilege. Processes owned by the superuser have this privilege. Processes owned by other users may have this privilege, depending on system configuration. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. The requested operation is not performed. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values: One or more addresses in the specified range is not valid within the process address space. There is not enough lockable memory in the system to satisfy the locking request. The parameter was zero. The user does not have the privilege. EXAMPLES
The following call to locks the first 10 pages of the calling process in memory: SEE ALSO
setprivgrp(1M), getprivgrp(2), mlockall(2), munlock(2), munlockall(2), plock(2), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mlock(2)