Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Expand ufs Filesystems
Operating Systems Solaris Expand ufs Filesystems Post 302253349 by atogunde on Friday 31st of October 2008 11:13:56 AM
Old 10-31-2008
Hi Serano,

Yes I agree, maybe a concat filesystem for now as there's not enough disks for mirror. But there may be enough for raid. What do you suggest?

Maybe we can add a raid zpool on the new disks, create filesystems on the pool then copy the existing/old filesystems to the new ones on zfs (would that work? how?).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Terminal Expand

hi guys. i have written a script/program and i would strongly prefer if this script automatically expands the user's terminal whenever he or she starts the script. this is so the script/program can fit on the user's screeen without user having to manually drag and spread his screen. what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

expand logic for > and <

Hi Input A12345678901234567890 < A12345678901234567890 AND C12345678901234567890 < D12345678901234567890 AND E12345678901234567890 > F12345678901234567890 If the length of the line at any point exceed more than 60 chars it should come to next line but it should not break a variable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Want to expand Solaris 10_x86 root UFS partition

OS: Solaris 10_x86. Problem: Server needs to be patched, but root "/" is near full. /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 4.2G 3.9G 284M 94% / The /exports/home dir has a lot more space, and I'd like to either move root "/" to it, or delete it all together: /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s7 12G ... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: b1f30
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to expand the same word?

Hi All, May I know how to expand the words? e.g: a aa aaa aaaa I have try to use for (i=0;i<5;i++) do c="a" echo -n $c done but the output is aaaaa. Is it need to use array?:confused: Thanks for your help! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to expand who command?

When I do the who command it doesn't show all my info: $w gscn 6:08PM up 4 days, 20:33, 177 users, load averages: 7.46, 3.78, 3.43 USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE WHAT gscn R1 pool-92-199-17-1 5:46PM - w gscn Like in the 'From' column.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
8 Replies

6. AIX

Expand LUN

Hello all, I have the following env: * DS4300 storage SAN * AIX 5.3 Lpar (storage through vio server) * AIX 5.3 Server Some FS are too small do I'm setting up a process to increase the size of the FS. To expand the size of the FS I plan to do the following for the physical AIX server,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petervg
1 Replies

7. AIX

Expand LV

Under the df command, one of my logical volumes, /dev/hd4, was showing 100% Used, so I added 2 logical partitions, but its still showing 100% used. Is there a separate command I need to execute to reallocate? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to expand three LVMs?

Hello All, It goes like this.. I have increased the data hard drive of server by 100GB and rebooted the server. I want to expand each of the LVM's by 30GB each .There are totally three LVMS to be expanded.Any help on complete commands that needs to be followed?Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
4 Replies
GPTZFSBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     GPTZFSBOOT(8)

NAME
gptzfsboot -- GPT bootcode for ZFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
gptzfsboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a filesystem in a ZFS pool. gptzfsboot is installed in a freebsd-boot partition of a GPT-partitioned disk with gpart(8). IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The GPT standard allows a variable number of partitions, but gptzfsboot only boots from tables with 128 partitions or less. BOOTING
gptzfsboot tries to find all ZFS pools that are composed of BIOS-visible hard disks or partitions on them. gptzfsboot looks for ZFS device labels on all visible disks and in discovered supported partitions for all supported partition scheme types. The search starts with the disk from which gptzfsboot itself was loaded. Other disks are probed in BIOS defined order. After a disk is probed and gptzfsboot determines that the whole disk is not a ZFS pool member, the individual partitions are probed in their partition table order. Currently GPT and MBR partition schemes are supported. With the GPT scheme, only partitions of type freebsd-zfs are probed. The first pool seen during probing is used as a default boot pool. The filesystem specified by the bootfs property of the pool is used as a default boot filesystem. If the bootfs property is not set, then the root filesystem of the pool is used as the default. zfsloader(8) is loaded from the boot filesystem. If /boot.config or /boot/config is present in the boot filesystem, boot options are read from it in the same way as boot(8). The ZFS GUIDs of the first successfully probed device and the first detected pool are made available to zfsloader(8) in the vfs.zfs.boot.primary_vdev and vfs.zfs.boot.primary_pool variables. USAGE
Normally gptzfsboot will boot in fully automatic mode. However, like boot(8), it is possible to interrupt the automatic boot process and interact with gptzfsboot through a prompt. gptzfsboot accepts all the options that boot(8) supports. The filesystem specification and the path to zfsloader(8) are different from boot(8). The format is [zfs:pool/filesystem:][/path/to/loader] Both the filesystem and the path can be specified. If only a path is specified, then the default filesystem is used. If only a pool and filesystem are specified, then /boot/zfsloader is used as a path. Additionally, the status command can be used to query information about discovered pools. The output format is similar to that of zpool status (see zpool(8)). The configured or automatically determined ZFS boot filesystem is stored in the zfsloader(8) loaddev variable, and also set as the initial value of the currdev variable. FILES
/boot/gptzfsboot boot code binary /boot.config parameters for the boot block (optional) /boot/config alternative parameters for the boot block (optional) EXAMPLES
gptzfsboot is typically installed in combination with a ``protective MBR'' (see gpart(8)). To install gptzfsboot on the ada0 drive: gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 gptzfsboot can also be installed without the PMBR: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 SEE ALSO
boot.config(5), boot(8), gpart(8), loader(8), zfsloader(8), zpool(8) HISTORY
gptzfsboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
gptzfsboot looks for ZFS meta-data only in MBR partitions (known on FreeBSD as slices). It does not look into BSD disklabel(8) partitions that are traditionally called partitions. If a disklabel partition happens to be placed so that ZFS meta-data can be found at the fixed off- sets relative to a slice, then gptzfsboot will recognize the partition as a part of a ZFS pool, but this is not guaranteed to happen. BSD
September 15, 2014 BSD