Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed to remove 1st two characters every line of text file Post 302252531 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 29th of October 2008 06:16:30 PM
Old 10-29-2008

Code:
sed 's/^..//' file1.txt > file2.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line

hello experts, I need a sed command that remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line. any suggestions? Thanks you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove last 2 characters of txt file

sed 's/^..//' file1.txt > file2.txt this will remove the first two characters of each line of a text file, what sed command will remove the last two characters? This is a similar post to my other....sry if I'm being lazy.... I need a file like this (same as last post) >cat file1.txt 10081551... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special characters from text file

Hi All, i am trying to remove all special charecters().,/\~!@#%^$*&^_- and others from a tab delimited file. I am using the following code. while read LINE do echo $LINE | tr -d '=;:`"<>,./?!@#$%^&(){}'|tr -d "-"|tr -d "'" | tr -d "_" done < trial.txt > output.txt Problem ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkb
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sed - add text to start of line if 1st char anything but space

Problem: I have a lot of files, the files first line should always have 4 spaces before any text. Occasionally some of the files will miss the leading spaces and it's a problem. This is only in the first line. So if there are 4 spaces then text, do nothing. If there are not 4 spaces, add 4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Remove new line characters from a file

I tried using below command tr -cd "" < InputFile.xml > output.txt ============= This removes all the tabs/newline/extra spaces from a file it successfully removed all the extra spaces,tabs and new line characters but then the complete file become one record. I want to retain one new line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saini
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all junk characters from a text file

I am using flatfile, in that flat file we are getting the junk chars 1)I21001f<82>^Me<85>!h49 Service Charge 2) I21001f‚ e...!h49 Service Charge please tell me how to remove all junk chars in unix scripts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Talari
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove partial text in one line only

I have test.xml XML file like <Report account="123456" start_time="2014-09-08T00:00:00+00:00" end_time="2014-09-10T23:59:59+00:00" user="Dollar Tree" limit="1000000" more_sessions="some text "> <Session ......rest of xml............... I need output like <Report> <Session ......rest of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumars1331@gmai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to remove 1st and last two characters of each line of the file

I want to remove 1st and last two characters of each line of the file Ex: file1 zzfile1ee @xfile2:y qfile3>> @ file4yy and redirect to the file called new Basically file will have any charcter including space, spical character... Please help.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell1509
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove text from file

Trying to use sed to, in-place, remove specific text from a file. Since there are / in the text I use | to escape that character. Thank you :). sed -i -e 's|xxxx://www.xxx.com/xx/xx/xxx/.*/|' /home/cmccabe/list sed: -e expression #1, char 51: unterminated `s' command (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line characters from data rows in a Pipe delimited file?

I have a file as below Emp1|FirstName|MiddleName|LastName|Address|Pincode|PhoneNumber 1234|FirstName1|MiddleName2|LastName3| Add1 || ADD2|123|000000000 2345|FirstName2|MiddleName3|LastName4| Add1 || ADD2| 234|000000000 OUTPUT : ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: styris
1 Replies
COMBINE(1)																COMBINE(1)

NAME
combine - combine sets of lines from two files using boolean operations SYNOPSIS
combine file1 and file2 combine file1 not file2 combine file1 or file2 combine file1 xor file2 _ file1 and file2 _ _ file1 not file2 _ _ file1 or file2 _ _ file1 xor file2 _ DESCRIPTION
combine combines the lines in two files. Depending on the boolean operation specified, the contents will be combined in different ways: and Outputs lines that are in file1 if they are also present in file2. not Outputs lines that are in file1 but not in file2. or Outputs lines that are in file1 or file2. xor Outputs lines that are in either file1 or file2, but not in both files. "-" can be specified for either file to read stdin for that file. The input files need not be sorted, and the lines are output in the order they occur in file1 (followed by the order they occur in file2 for the two "or" operations). Bear in mind that this means that the operations are not commutative; "a and b" will not necessarily be the same as "b and a". To obtain commutative behavior sort and uniq the result. Note that this program can be installed as "_" to allow for the syntactic sugar shown in the latter half of the synopsis (similar to the test/[ command). It is not currently installed as "_" by default, but you can alias it to that if you like. SEE ALSO
join(1) AUTHOR
Copyright 2006 by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> Licensed under the GNU GPL. moreutils 2012-04-09 COMBINE(1)