Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers To remove files before certain date Post 302250284 by palsevlohit_123 on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 04:54:20 AM
Old 10-23-2008
you can use the find command with mtime option. it will be specific.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove files based on date

I am trying to write a shell script that will remove files in a directory based on the date. For instance, remove all files older than yesterday. Any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove files with a date

I have files with a date name ( 20060506 20060507 etc..) that i want to remove because it keeps filling up the directory. Can someone please help me with a script to remove those date files. i would like to keep atleast 14 days worth from the current date. I hope i have explained it clearly and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: justintime
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files by date and moving files in date order

I need to build a k shell script that will sort files in a directory where files appear like this "XXXX_2008021213.DAT. I need to sort by date in the filename and then move files by individual date to a working folder. concatenate the files in the working folder then start a process once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebel64
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove files which created date before 10 days on HP-UX

Hi All, Could you please let me know if there is any one can help to create a shell script to remove some files which is the created date for them greate than 10 days (sysdate-10) Please try to email me on email removed Thanks in advance, Murad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murad_fayez
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove files based on date

Hello team, I have a number of files in a folder which are dated yesterday and today.Can i remove all the files which i created today based on date?? is there any syntax for this ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files that are not first two files date & last file date for every month-year?

Hi All, I need to find all files other than first two files dates & last file date for month and month/year wise list. lets say there are following files in directory Mar 19 2012 c.txt Mar 19 2012 cc.txt Mar 21 2012 d.txt Mar 22 2012 f.txt Mar 24 2012 h.txt Mar 25 2012 w.txt Feb 12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makarand Dodmis
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare two files of todays date and yesterday's date

hi all, How to compare two files whether they are same are not...? like i had my input files as 20141201_file.txt and 20141130_file2.txt how to compare the above files based on date .. like todays file and yesterdays file...? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find the count of files by last created date based on the given date range

My unix version is IBM AIX Version 6.1 I tried google my requirement and found the below answer, find . -newermt “2012-06-15 08:13" ! -newermt “2012-06-15 18:20" But newer command is not working in AIX version 6.1 unix I have given my requirement below: Input: atr files: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yuvaa27
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare date in .txt with system date and remove if it's lesser than system date

Can someone help me with the code wherein there is a file f1.txt with different column and 34 column have expiry date and I need to get that and compare with system date and if expiry date is <system date remove those rows and other rows should be moved to new file f2.txt . I don't want to delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuti
2 Replies

10. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Compare date in .txt with system date and remove if it's lesser than system date

I m working on shell scripting and I m stuck where in my .txt file there is column as expiry date and I need to compare that date with system date and need to remove all the rows where expiry date is less than system date and create a new .txt with update. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stuti
1 Replies
crontab(5)							File Formats Manual							crontab(5)

Name
       crontab - clock daemon table file

Syntax
       /usr/lib/crontab

Description
       The  command  executes  at  specified dates and times according to the instructions in the file. The file consists of lines with six fields
       each.  The format for a line is as follows:

minute hour day month weekday command

The following list defines each field in the line:

minute (0-59)  The exact minute that the command sequence executes.

hour (0-23)    The hour of the day that the command sequence executes.

day (1-31)     The day of the month that the command sequence executes.

month (1-12)   The month of the year that the command sequence executes.

weekday (1-7)  The day of the week that the command sequence executes. Monday = 1, Tuesday = 2, and so forth.

command	      The complete command sequence variable that is to be executed.  Note that the command string must conform  to  Bourne  shell
		      syntax.

The first five integer fields may be specified as follows:

o   A single number in the specified range

o   Two numbers separated by a minus, meaning a range inclusive

o   A list of numbers separated by commas, meaning any of the numbers

o   An asterisk meaning all legal values

The sixth field is a string that is executed by the shell at the specified times.  A percent sign (%) in this field is translated to a new-
       line character.	Only the first line of the command field, up to a percent sign (%) or end of line, is executed by the  shell.	The  other
       lines are made available to the command as standard input.

Examples
       The following example is part of a file:
       # periodic things
       0,15,30,45 * * * * (echo '^M' `date`; echo '') >/dev/console
       0,15,30,45 * * * * /usr/lib/atrun

# daily stuff
       5 4 * * * sh /usr/adm/newsyslog
       15 4 * * * ( cd /usr/preserve; find . -mtime +7 -a -exec rm -f {} ; )
       20 4 * * * find /usr/msgs -mtime +21 -a ! -perm 444 -a ! -name bounds
	    -a -exec rm -f {} ;

# NOTE: The above line is wrapped.

# local cleanups
       30 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name df-exec rm {} ;
       35 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name tf-exec rm {} ;
       40 4 * * * find /usr/spool/rwho -type f -mtime +21 -exec rm {} ;
       #

# redirecting error output
       0 17 * * 1,3,5 /bin/tar -cv /usr/sysads/smith > /dev/console 2>&1
       #

Files
See Also
       sh(1), cron(8)
       Guide to System Environment Setup

crontab(5)