Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers using sed or grep to find exact match of text Post 302249790 by sivakumar.rj on Wednesday 22nd of October 2008 05:52:18 AM
Old 10-22-2008
Error

I tried with egrep [[:space:]]....but i think it doesn't work:

I just tried with this grep " world " infile....(include the spaces between the before and after the word "world".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Exact Match thru grep ?????

hey..... i do have text where the contents are like as follows, FILE_TYPE_NUM_01=FILE_TYPE=01|FILE_DESC=Periodic|FILE_SCHDL_TYPE=Daily|FILE_SCHDL=|FILE_SCHDL_TIME=9:00am|RESULTS=B FILE_TYPE_NUM_02=FILE_TYPE=02|FILE_DESC=NCTO|FILE_SCHDL_TYPE=Daily|FILE_SCHDL=|FILE_SCHDL_TIME=9:00am|RESULTS=M... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

grep exact match

Hi This time I'm trying to grep for an exact match e.g cat.dog.horse.cow.bird.pig horse.dog.pig pig.cat.horse.dog horse dog dog pig.dog pig.dog.bird how do I grep for dog only so that a wc -l would result 2 in above case. Thanks in advance ---------- Post updated at 06:33 AM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and sed exact match questions

This was mistaken as homework in a different forum, but is not. These are questions that are close to what I am trying to do at work. QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and sed exact match questions

This post was previously mistaken for homework, but is actually a small piece of what I working on at work. Please answer if you can. QUESTION1 How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep two words with exact match

HI Input : Counters Counter Int Ints Counters Counters Ints Ints I want to grep Counter|Int Output : Counter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for exact match using grep

I am searching for an exact match on a value read from another file to lookup an email address in another file. The file being checked is called "contacts" and it has Act #, email address, and contact person. 1693;abc1693@yahoo.comt;Tommy D 6423;abc6423@yahoo.comt;Jim Doran... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or sed - printing line only with exact match

Hello. In my script, some command return : q | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | x86_64 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | i586 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact match

Hello! I have 2 files named tacs.tmp and tacDB.txt tacs.tmp looks like this 0 10235647 102700 106800 107200 1105700 tacDB.txt looks like this 100100,Mitsubishi,G410,Handheld,,0,0,0 100200,Siemens,A53,Handheld,,0,0,0 100300,Sony Ericsson,TBD (AAB-1880030-BV),Handheld,,0,0,0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for an exact match in a file

I am currently having some issues while trying to grep for a exact string inside a file. I have tried doing this from command line and things work fine i.e. when no match is found, return code=1 but when its done as part of my script it returns 0 for the same command - I dont know if there is an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ads89
6 Replies
grep(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   grep(1)

Name
       grep, egrep, fgrep - search file for regular expression

Syntax
       grep [option...] expression [file...]

egrep [option...] [expression] [file...]

fgrep [option...] [strings] [file]

Description
       Commands  of  the family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern.  Normally, each line found is copied
       to the standard output.

The command patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of which uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm.  The command patterns
       are  full  regular  expressions.  The command uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.  The command pat-
       terns are fixed strings.  The command is fast and compact.

In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file.  Take care when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and   in  the
       expression because they are also meaningful to the Shell.  It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '.

The command searches for lines that contain one of the (new line-separated) strings.

The command accepts extended regular expressions.  In the following description `character' excludes new line:

A  followed by a single character other than new line matches that character.

The character ^ matches the beginning of a line.

The character $ matches the end of a line.

A .  (dot) matches any character.

A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character.

A  string  enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string.	Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated
	      as in `a-z0-9'.  A ] may occur only as the first character of the string.  A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken	as
	      a range indicator.

A  regular  expression  followed	by  an	* (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular
	      expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular expression  followed
	      by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression.

Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second.

Two regular expressions separated by | or new line match either a match for the first or a match for the second.

A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression.

The  order  of  precedence  of  operators at the same parenthesis level is the following:  [], then *+?, then concatenation, then | and new
       line.

Options
       -b	   Precedes each output line with its block number.  This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by context.

-c	   Produces count of matching lines only.

-e expression
		   Uses next argument as expression that begins with a minus (-).

-f file	   Takes regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) from file.

-i	   Considers upper and lowercase letter identical in making comparisons and only).

-l	   Lists files with matching lines only once, separated by a new line.

-n	   Precedes each matching line with its line number.

-s	   Silent mode and nothing is printed (except error messages).	This is useful for checking the error status (see DIAGNOSTICS).

-v	   Displays all lines that do not match specified expression.

-w	   Searches for an expression as for a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>').  For further information, see only.

-x	   Prints exact lines matched in their entirety only).

Restrictions
       Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated.

Diagnostics
       Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files.

See Also
       ex(1), sed(1), sh(1)

grep(1)