Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers using sed or grep to find exact match of text Post 302249772 by zaxxon on Wednesday 22nd of October 2008 04:58:36 AM
Old 10-22-2008
Code:
egrep "[[:space:]]world[[:space:]]" infile

The [[:space:]] works with any kind and number of concatenated spaces, wether it's blanks or tabs etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Exact Match thru grep ?????

hey..... i do have text where the contents are like as follows, FILE_TYPE_NUM_01=FILE_TYPE=01|FILE_DESC=Periodic|FILE_SCHDL_TYPE=Daily|FILE_SCHDL=|FILE_SCHDL_TIME=9:00am|RESULTS=B FILE_TYPE_NUM_02=FILE_TYPE=02|FILE_DESC=NCTO|FILE_SCHDL_TYPE=Daily|FILE_SCHDL=|FILE_SCHDL_TIME=9:00am|RESULTS=M... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

grep exact match

Hi This time I'm trying to grep for an exact match e.g cat.dog.horse.cow.bird.pig horse.dog.pig pig.cat.horse.dog horse dog dog pig.dog pig.dog.bird how do I grep for dog only so that a wc -l would result 2 in above case. Thanks in advance ---------- Post updated at 06:33 AM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and sed exact match questions

This was mistaken as homework in a different forum, but is not. These are questions that are close to what I am trying to do at work. QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and sed exact match questions

This post was previously mistaken for homework, but is actually a small piece of what I working on at work. Please answer if you can. QUESTION1 How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep two words with exact match

HI Input : Counters Counter Int Ints Counters Counters Ints Ints I want to grep Counter|Int Output : Counter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for exact match using grep

I am searching for an exact match on a value read from another file to lookup an email address in another file. The file being checked is called "contacts" and it has Act #, email address, and contact person. 1693;abc1693@yahoo.comt;Tommy D 6423;abc6423@yahoo.comt;Jim Doran... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or sed - printing line only with exact match

Hello. In my script, some command return : q | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | x86_64 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | i586 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact match

Hello! I have 2 files named tacs.tmp and tacDB.txt tacs.tmp looks like this 0 10235647 102700 106800 107200 1105700 tacDB.txt looks like this 100100,Mitsubishi,G410,Handheld,,0,0,0 100200,Siemens,A53,Handheld,,0,0,0 100300,Sony Ericsson,TBD (AAB-1880030-BV),Handheld,,0,0,0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for an exact match in a file

I am currently having some issues while trying to grep for a exact string inside a file. I have tried doing this from command line and things work fine i.e. when no match is found, return code=1 but when its done as part of my script it returns 0 for the same command - I dont know if there is an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ads89
6 Replies
XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)										 XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)

NAME
XmTabListInsertTabs -- A convenience function that inserts tabs into a tab list SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList XmTabListInsertTabs( XmTabList oldlist, XmTab *tabs, Cardinal tab_count, int position); DESCRIPTION
XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list that includes the tabs in oldlist. This function copies specified tabs to the tab list at the given position. The first tab_count tabs of the tabs array are added to the tab list. If oldlist is NULL, XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list containing only the tabs specified. oldlist Specifies the tab list to add the tabs to. The function deallocates oldlist after extracting the required information. tabs Specifies a pointer to the tabs to be added to the tab list. It is the caller's responsibility to free the tabs in tabs by using XmTabFree. tab_count Specifies the number of tabs in tabs. position Specifies the position of the first new tab in the tab list. A value of 0 (zero) makes the first new tab the first tab in the tab list, a value of 1 makes it the second tab, and so on. If position is greater than the number of tabs in oldlist, then the tabs will be inserted at the end. If position is negative, the count will be backwards from the end. A value of -1 makes the first new tab the last tab, and so on. RETURN
If tabs is NULL or tab_count is 0 (zero), this function returns oldlist. Otherwise, it returns a new tab list. The function allocates space to hold the returned tab list. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The application can recover the allocated space by calling XmTabListFree. RELATED
XmTabList(3) and XmTabListFree(3). XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)