Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Delimiter count in a string.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delimiter count in a string. Post 302249007 by ranjithpr on Monday 20th of October 2008 10:19:06 AM
Old 10-20-2008
echo "SYS_NAME-123-S5-2008-10-20.LOG"|awk -F'-' '{ print NF-1 }'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a delimiter string

hi i have a function printValues() { var=$# count=0 qName="" while do if then echo QManager Name $1 fi if then echo Cluster Name$2 fi if (( $count != 0 && $count != 1 )) then ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count delimiter and replace

Hi, I have below sample data file. I want to count the delimiter no of times repeated and replace with new line characters. The new line characters appear somtimes in between of the records and end of the record: input file: jack;1500;manager;boston\n jim;2000;\n developer;texas\n... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsubha
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a string with no delimiter

Hi; I want to write a shell script that will split a string with no delimiter. Basically the script will read a line from a file. For example the line it read from the file contains: 99234523 These values are never the same but the length will always be 8. How do i split this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint34
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut all string after the last delimiter?

hi all, suppose a string: abc/def/ghi/jkl/mn.txt and i want to get the file name without the path. however, different files have different paths, therefore the number of delimiter is uncertain. thanks so much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiter count

Hi I wrote shell script for count the deleimeters and send it to reject file which are exeeseding number of count. But script is not working properly... Can you please check the below script and modify it as required. ex : 1,abc 2,mno 3,pqr 4,xyz,error As per the requiredment last... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skip the delimiter with in double quotes and count the number of delimiters during data extract

Hi All, I'm stuck-up in finding a way to skip the delimiter which come within double quotes using awk or any other better option. can someone please help me out. Below are the details: Delimited: | Sample data: 742433154|"SYN|THESIS MED CHEM PTY.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrahmaNaiduA
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count delimiter(~|*) each row in a file and return 1 or 0

Hi I want to check delimiter in file. Delimiter in my file is ~|* sample of file : ABC~|*edgf~|*T1J333~|*20121130 ABC~|*sdaf~|*T1J333~|*20121130 ABC~|*fsdg~|*T1J333~|*20121130 ABC~|*dfsg~|*T1J333~|*20121130 in this i want to count number delimiter occur is 4 in each row if count is... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: MOHANP12
21 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk delimiter count if mismatched?

Hi all, I have a file where in it has lot of records in it. I have written below stuff to find the number of fields as shown below `awk -F '|' '{print NF-1}' file.txt| head -1` how do i proceed if in case any record in particular is having more number of delimiters, if it having??? what... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux shell script to insert new lines based on delimiter count

The input file is a .dat file which is delimited by null (^@ in Linux). On a windows PC it looks something like this (numbers are masked with 1). https://i.imgur.com/nta2Gqp.jpg The entire file is in one row but it has multiple records - each record contains 80 fields i.e. there are 81 counts... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalnirvana
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split files based on row delimiter count

I have a huge file (around 4-5 GB containing 20 million rows) which has text like: <EOFD>11<EOFD>22<EORD>2<EOFD>2222<EOFD>3333<EORD>3<EOFD>44<EOFD>55<EORD>66<EOFD>888<EOFD>9999<EORD> Actually above is an extracted file from a Sql Server with each field delimited by <EOFD> and each row ends... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
8 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)