Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting part of output to stdout Post 302248163 by otheus on Friday 17th of October 2008 04:54:20 AM
Old 10-17-2008
Well done! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting STDOUT & STDERR

In bash, I need to send the STDOUT and STDERR from a command to one file, and then just STDERR to another file. Doing one or the other using redirects is easy, but trying to do both at once is a bit tricky. Anyone have any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshinaman
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

implicitly redirecting stdout to a file

Is there a way to redirect all stdout to a file implicitly - like defining stdout=/home/me/process.log - so that all "echo" commands in several scripts/subscripts are written to that file; instead of having to edit all scripts to redirect the "echo" (e.g. echo 'This is a test ' >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ALTRUNVRSOFLN
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve output order when redirecting stdout and stderr

Hi, I already searched through the forum and tried to find a answer for my problem but I didn't found a full working solution, thats way I start this new thread and hope, some can help out. I wonder that I'm not able to find a working solution for the following scenario: Working in bash I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boemm
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting to stdout in betwen command

can anyone help me in making singleline command for Capital Letters are folders ,small letter are files X,Y,Z are subfolders of A as shown below A - X,Y,Z Folder X has three files a.txt,b.txt,c.txt similarly Y,Z. as shown below X- a.txt,b.txt,c.txt Y- a.txt,b.txt,c.txt Z-... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix_nebula
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout to variable while printing it

Hi everybody, I am trying to do the thing you see in the title, and I can't simply do a=$(svn up) echo $a because the program (svn) gives output on lots of lines and in the variable the output is stored on only one line (resulting in a horribly formatted text). Any tips? Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocirne94
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout problem

I have a simple bash script that prints sth every 5 seconds. What I do is the following. I redirect the output of the script to a file, tail the file and see that it works and then from another console I delete the file where the output is redirected to. Even though I have deleted the file, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igurov
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout continously to a file

I have a C program that continously outputs info to stdout. The problem is that I am redirecting the stdout and stderr to a file and stdout is written at the end of the problem rather than continously to the file. This could be a problem if for example the program is killed and the stdout output is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: igurov
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File descriptors, redirecting output, and stdout

Hello all. I've been lurking here for a year or two and finally decided to post. I need some assistance with file descriptors, stdout, and redirecting output. I've searched through a number of very helpful threads here (unfortunately I can't link to any of them yet due to my low post count...),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael_K
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting stdout inside a loop

hi, OK. I am writing a bash script, and it is almost working for me. Problem 1: I currently have stout sent to a file (stout.miRNA.bash.$date_formatted) which I would like to have work inside my loop, but when I move it, it just prints to the screen. Problem 2: I have a second file... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmortens
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout output to whiptail menu box

As a result of whiptail menu option I am getting a data from a file. Naturally it is output to terminal as stdour. I like to redirect the output back to the menu. It can be done with single input of line of text , see attached. I just cannot see where or how the sample... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
0 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)