Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove all blank lines in shell or awk. Post 302246146 by cfajohnson on Monday 13th of October 2008 02:07:39 AM
Old 10-13-2008

Take your pick:

Code:
tr -s '\n' < abc.txt

grep -v "^$" abc.txt

sed '/^$/d' abc.txt

sed '/./!d' abc.txt

awk '/./' abc.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove blank lines

¿How can i remove blank lines between all lines in a long text file? Example WrongFile.txt : Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 CorrectFile.txt : Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 Thanks in advance :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: osymad
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script: Remove blank lines

Hi gurus, I have this file with blank lines in it. How do i remove them in shell? I tried these commands but not working: sed '/^ *$/d' or sed '/^$/d' Anybody has a better idea pls? Also there are lines which starts with a single space, how do we remove the space in those lines?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to remove Blank lines in pipedelimited

Awk to remove Blank lines in pipedelimited Help me correct this. nawk -F"|" '{a=$0; gsub(FS, "",a); if(length(a)) print}' file1 nawk -F"|" '{gsub(FS, "",$0);if(length($0)) print}' file1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank lines

I have joined 2 files. Join command worked fine. but the result showing extra blank lines. I tried to remove blank spaces by using awk (-- -42 RS= ORS="\n\n" file.txt) and sed (sed '/^ *$/d' file.txt)commands but didn't remove any Any suggestions plz:D 123 tab ....... ......tab .......234... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank lines

I really hope someone can help me with this. I have several php files from a forum that I run, that now for some reason have blank lines after every line. Is there an easy way to make a script that does the following: * If there are consecutive blank lines, delete all of them except one. * If... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: KidCactus
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank lines and merge lines in shell

Hi, I'm not a expert in shell programming, so i've come here to take help from u gurus. I'm trying to tailor a csv file that i got to make it work for the LOAD FROM command. I've a datatable csv of the below format - --in file format xx,xx,xx ,xx , , , , ,,xx, xxxx,, ,, xxx,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank lines, if blank lines are more than one using shell

Hi, Consider a file named "testfile" The contents of file are as below first line added for test second line added for test third line added for test fourth line added for test fifth line added for test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank lines

Hi, I am facing a problem related to removing blank lines from a text document. Input Error 17-05-2011 11:01:15 VisualSVN Server 2.1 1001 The following information was included with the event: line3 line4 Error 17-05-2011 11:00:25 VisualSVN Server 2.1 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayursingru
13 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

remove all blank lines

When I 'vi' my test file I see some blank lines. However once I do :set list to display hidden characters, I see the empty lines literally like this: ^I$ How do I remove them? I cannot find a regex to match them. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexsuv
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Blank lines in VI

Hi, Which option is used to remove blank lines in VI (AIX). ? Regards, Siva (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
6 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)