Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove all blank lines in shell or awk. Post 302246143 by tushar_tus on Monday 13th of October 2008 01:58:17 AM
Old 10-13-2008
Remove all blank lines in shell or awk.

Hi there,

I want to trim space between lines in unix.
I have a file named abc.txt with 2,00,000 lines.But useful are only a few. Please tell me how to delete the blank lines.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove blank lines

¿How can i remove blank lines between all lines in a long text file? Example WrongFile.txt : Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 CorrectFile.txt : Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 Thanks in advance :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: osymad
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script: Remove blank lines

Hi gurus, I have this file with blank lines in it. How do i remove them in shell? I tried these commands but not working: sed '/^ *$/d' or sed '/^$/d' Anybody has a better idea pls? Also there are lines which starts with a single space, how do we remove the space in those lines?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to remove Blank lines in pipedelimited

Awk to remove Blank lines in pipedelimited Help me correct this. nawk -F"|" '{a=$0; gsub(FS, "",a); if(length(a)) print}' file1 nawk -F"|" '{gsub(FS, "",$0);if(length($0)) print}' file1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank lines

I have joined 2 files. Join command worked fine. but the result showing extra blank lines. I tried to remove blank spaces by using awk (-- -42 RS= ORS="\n\n" file.txt) and sed (sed '/^ *$/d' file.txt)commands but didn't remove any Any suggestions plz:D 123 tab ....... ......tab .......234... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank lines

I really hope someone can help me with this. I have several php files from a forum that I run, that now for some reason have blank lines after every line. Is there an easy way to make a script that does the following: * If there are consecutive blank lines, delete all of them except one. * If... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: KidCactus
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank lines and merge lines in shell

Hi, I'm not a expert in shell programming, so i've come here to take help from u gurus. I'm trying to tailor a csv file that i got to make it work for the LOAD FROM command. I've a datatable csv of the below format - --in file format xx,xx,xx ,xx , , , , ,,xx, xxxx,, ,, xxx,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank lines, if blank lines are more than one using shell

Hi, Consider a file named "testfile" The contents of file are as below first line added for test second line added for test third line added for test fourth line added for test fifth line added for test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank lines

Hi, I am facing a problem related to removing blank lines from a text document. Input Error 17-05-2011 11:01:15 VisualSVN Server 2.1 1001 The following information was included with the event: line3 line4 Error 17-05-2011 11:00:25 VisualSVN Server 2.1 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayursingru
13 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

remove all blank lines

When I 'vi' my test file I see some blank lines. However once I do :set list to display hidden characters, I see the empty lines literally like this: ^I$ How do I remove them? I cannot find a regex to match them. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexsuv
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Blank lines in VI

Hi, Which option is used to remove blank lines in VI (AIX). ? Regards, Siva (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
6 Replies
insdelln(3XCURSES)					  X/Open Curses Library Functions					insdelln(3XCURSES)

NAME
insdelln, winsdelln - insert/delete lines to/from the window SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int insdelln(int n); int winsdelln(WINDOW *win, int n); PARAMETERS
n Is the number of lines to insert or delete (positive n inserts; negative n deletes). win Is a pointer to the window in which to insert or delete a line. DESCRIPTION
The insdelln() and winsdelln() functions insert or delete blank lines in stdscr or win, respectively. When n is positive, n lines are added before the current line and the bottom n lines are lost; when n is negative, n lines are deleted starting with the current line, the remaining lines are moved up, and the bottom n lines are cleared. The position of the cursor does not change. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
None. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
deleteln(3XCURSES), insertln(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 insdelln(3XCURSES)