Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change default shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change default shell Post 302244566 by era on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 08:13:02 AM
Old 10-08-2008
It's not crucial that it's your login shell; you can limp along anyway. As a workaround, just exec bash immediately after you log in.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I change my default shell

hi ; Right now my default shell on our school system is : /bin/ksh but i want to change it to another shell. There is also bash shell installed in the system as : /bin/bash So, how can I change my default shell to bash shell? Or maybe any other shell? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change the default shell from bash to ksh

Currently my default shell is bash.How can i change itto ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change your default login shell.

I am new to UNIX hence the question. Most of the time when I have an environment set up for me to develop my systems, I have had my ID logon and I can edit the .profile for my account and it understand commands korn shell. It seems this machine, a new SUN machine, was setup with users getting the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: klarue7
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change default shell in linux?

currently the default shell in my linux enviornemnt is ksh. how to change the default shell to bash? thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change Default Shell for any user?

Hi, I am new for solaris... how can we change default shell for any user and how to check that which shall currently we are in...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lalit21984
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change display in shell

Hi The line for input of my shell currently looks like in the image attached. What I wanted is for the line where I input, it showed in last, the folder I'm in (in the attached images is "Documents") and not my user name "Pedro_Gordo". How do I do this? My OS is Mac OS X 10.6. Thanks in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirwit
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Can't change default shell

Hello, I've changed the shell for user jack in /etc/passwd to ksh but when I log in it's still saying the shell is bash. Any help much appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to change the shell

Hi, I want to change the shellrite now I am in ksh shell , I want to switch to bash shell I have tried the command ... $ chsh -s /bin/bash but it is showing error .... -ksh: chsh: not found (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul125
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to change the ip

I am writing a simple DHCP server application that gets ip from a server at boot up ! i wrote a shell script to run the java program that obtains ip from server on another machine... The problem is when i have obtained the ip i store it in a file ! using awk i retrieve the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dinesh17
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change default shell of a specific user with awk

I would like to replicate the functionality of chsh (or passwd -e) by awk. This is what I got so far, but I think there should be an easier way to search and replace field $7 only for lines beginning with user_name: awk -v user_name="$user_name" -v new_shell="$new_shell" -F: '$1 == user_name {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nomad84
2 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)