Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use "not equal to " in IF statement Post 302242312 by manmeet on Wednesday 1st of October 2008 02:52:17 PM
Old 10-01-2008
How to use "not equal to " in IF statement

Hi,
i need to compare two variables by using if statement
Code:
if [ $var1 -ne $var2 ] 
 then 
  echo "$var1"
 else 
  echo "$var2"
fi

where -ne is used for not equal to but this is not working and giving me a syntax error. can anybody tel me how use not equal to with 'if' in ksh

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

"if" and "then" statement is not working in RedHat

Dear experts, I'm trying to write a script to calculate the usage of Log Archive in a directory, so if it gets to a point where the directory size is 60%, then send out an FYI.. email. So if then it reaches to 80%, move the logs from that directory. I have written the script as follow but... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afi_Linux
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What "-a" operator means in "if" statement

Hi I am trying to figure out what the following line does, I work in ksh88: ] && LIST="$big $LIST" Not sure what "-a" means in that case. Thanks a lot for any advice -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the meaning of "-s" option in "if" statement?

Hi Guys, I'm sorry but I can't find answer for this, what is the meaning of -s option in "if" statement on unix scipting. Please see sample below: opath=/home/output for i in N1 N2 N3 N4 do echo $i if then grep $i $opath/N5_CRAI > $opath/N5_$i.crai chmod 777 $opath/N5_$i.crai ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"if" statement based off "grep"

Hello, I am somewhat new to Linux/Unix. I am currently working on a shell script that is suppose to cat a file, grep the same file for a certain line, if that line is found save the file in a different location, else remove the file. This is a rough example of what I want. $Dating = False... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amzerik
13 Replies

7. Linux

Linux command to find and replace occurance of more than two equal sign with "==" from XML file.

Please help me, wasted hrs:wall:, to find this soulution:- I need a command that will work on file (xml) and replace multiple occurrence (more than 2 times) Examples 1. '===' 2. '====' 3. '=======' should be replaced by just '==' Note :- single character should be replaced. (=... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedRocks!!
13 Replies

8. Ubuntu

How to change "more" to "more or equal" in this line?

Hi, Below line selects only dates comes after than today. I need to change below line as "more or equal": awk -F\## -v d=$(date +%Y%m%d) '{if($NF>d)print}' /usr/batch/pill.txt > /usr/batch/pill_in_use.txt When we change the code, it will print today's date and following dates only. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
PDO.EXEC(3)								 1							       PDO.EXEC(3)

PDO
::exec - Execute an SQL statement and return the number of affected rows SYNOPSIS
public int PDO::exec (string $statement) DESCRIPTION
PDO.exec(3) executes an SQL statement in a single function call, returning the number of rows affected by the statement. PDO.exec(3) does not return results from a SELECT statement. For a SELECT statement that you only need to issue once during your program, consider issuing PDO.query(3). For a statement that you need to issue multiple times, prepare a PDOStatement object with PDO.prepare(3) and issue the statement with PDOStatement.execute(3). PARAMETERS
o $statement - The SQL statement to prepare and execute. Data inside the query should be properly escaped. RETURN VALUES
PDO.exec(3) returns the number of rows that were modified or deleted by the SQL statement you issued. If no rows were affected, PDO.exec(3) returns 0. Warning This function may return Boolean FALSE, but may also return a non-Boolean value which evaluates to FALSE. Please read the section on Booleans for more information. Use the === operator for testing the return value of this function. The following example incorrectly relies on the return value of PDO.exec(3), wherein a statement that affected 0 rows results in a call to die(3): <?php $db->exec() or die(print_r($db->errorInfo(), true)); ?> EXAMPLES
Example #1 Issuing a DELETE statement Count the number of rows deleted by a DELETE statement with no WHERE clause. <?php $dbh = new PDO('odbc:sample', 'db2inst1', 'ibmdb2'); /* Delete all rows from the FRUIT table */ $count = $dbh->exec("DELETE FROM fruit WHERE colour = 'red'"); /* Return number of rows that were deleted */ print("Deleted $count rows. "); ?> The above example will output: Deleted 1 rows. SEE ALSO
PDO.prepare(3), PDO.query(3), PDOStatement.execute(3). PHP Documentation Group PDO.EXEC(3)