Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking existence of file using file pattern Post 302241927 by otheus on Tuesday 30th of September 2008 03:09:17 PM
Old 09-30-2008
ShawnMilo's response is pretty good, I think. Just to be sure, you might want to use:

Code:
 if test -n "`/bin/ls -1 ins_* 2>/dev/null`"; then echo "yep"; else echo "nope"; fi

Otherwise, you'll get a "file not found" error, or if your output starts with a dash, you'll have problems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking file existence

Hi, My requirement was to check the existence of a file having a specified pattern.The way i tried to achieve this was if ; then echo "File found" fi an example file having this pattern was 'ilvs_trace01.0124'. it will vary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the existence of a file..

Hi, I am trying to check for the existence of a file using the 'test' and the file existence options. When trying to check for a file with a space in between e.g 'Team List', it gives the following error. learn1: line 3: test: `Team: binary operator expected I am pasting my code below as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple file existence

Hi, I want to check multiple files exist or not in a single if statement in korn Shell:confused:. Please help me Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lathish
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file existence and checking file size

I want to check the files in particular directory are more that 0 Bytes i.e, Non zero byte file. The script should print a msg if all the files in that directory are empty( 0 Byte). (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathish
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the existence of a file before getting last modified

Hi, I am trying to check the existence of a file, from a list of possible filenames: status-A status-B status-C before retrieving the last modified datetime using ls, I want to check it exists or ls will throw an error. So I have tried this: if ; then ls status-* fi But the if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LostInTheWoods
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking the file existence using ssh

Hi Can any body say me the reason for below error ssh -o 'StrictHostKeyChecking no' user@client ' && print "1"' I am getting error as "Missing ]":wall: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh12621
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking Existence and file size of File

Hi, I am a SAP- ABAP programer , i have only little knowledge of Unix. My issue is i have a list of files which are in internal table. I want to create a script which consist of all these files and in one go i can check in the unix server about there existance and there file size. Can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitkumar.b2
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking existence of file using awk

Hi, I need to check whether a particular file exists ot not using awk. Can anyone help me please? For Example:script that i am using: awk '{filename =$NF; rc=(system("test -r filename")) print $rc;}' "$1" is not working. Here I am passing a text file as input whose last word contains a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish007
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file existence along with condition

Hi am trying to write a script which find the existence of a file from a find command output and perform a task if the file exists. Help me out with the correct syntax . Am trying with the following one but unable to get the output. if then <some tasks> else echo "file not exists" fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for the file existence

Hi, I have written a script to validate the data file by referreing to the configurtion file. And moving the validated good records and bad records into HDFS. Suppose after 15 mins if i receive one more data fie,then after validation the good and bad records shold be stored in hadoop with the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
8 Replies
FNMATCH(3)								 1								FNMATCH(3)

fnmatch - Match filename against a pattern

SYNOPSIS
bool fnmatch (string $pattern, string $string, [int $flags]) DESCRIPTION
fnmatch(3) checks if the passed $string would match the given shell wildcard $pattern. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The shell wildcard pattern. o $string - The tested string. This function is especially useful for filenames, but may also be used on regular strings. The average user may be used to shell patterns or at least in their simplest form to '?' and '*' wildcards so using fnmatch(3) instead of preg_match(3) for frontend search expression input may be way more convenient for non-programming users. o $flags - The value of $flags can be any combination of the following flags, joined with the binary OR (|) operator. A list of possible flags for fnmatch(3) +-------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | $Flag | | | | | | | Description | | | | +-------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | |FNM_NOESCAPE | | | | | | | Disable backslash escaping. | | | | | | | |FNM_PATHNAME | | | | | | | Slash in string only matches slash in the given | | | pattern. | | | | | | | | FNM_PERIOD | | | | | | | Leading period in string must be exactly matched | | | by period in the given pattern. | | | | | | | |FNM_CASEFOLD | | | | | | | Caseless match. Part of the GNU extension. | | | | +-------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if there is a match, FALSE otherwise. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | This function is now available on Windows plat- | | | forms. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Checking a color name against a shell wildcard pattern <?php if (fnmatch("*gr[ae]y", $color)) { echo "some form of gray ..."; } ?> NOTES
Warning For now, this function is not available on non-POSIX compliant systems except Windows. SEE ALSO
glob(3), preg_match(3), sscanf(3), printf(3), sprintf(3). PHP Documentation Group FNMATCH(3)