Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: scp command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers scp command Post 302241570 by bn_unx on Monday 29th of September 2008 05:16:25 PM
Old 09-29-2008
scp command

I want to know

how can i use scp command in the reverse fashion

meaning i have two machines server1 and server2

I have files in server1 that i need to copy to server2

But i do not have write permissions on server2 although
i have read permissions on server1

is there a way i can go to server2 and read those files from server1
and have them copied to server2

so instead of doing scp file1 bn_unx@server2:/dir from server1

can i run scp command from server2 so that it reads files from server1 and copies them to server2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on SCP command

Total unix newbie needs help:Need to SCP files to a WINDOWS NT server,but giving me some problems: REPOSITORY=/usr/psoft/fs600srv/reports/HR /usr/local/bin/scp -p -a $REPOSITORY/HR.glpccd*.unl Administrator@10.84.124.6:/Temp When I execute the script, it is giving me this error. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: starla0316
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCP command

Hello, Let's say I have the command line: scp -r /home/Mohit/Switches mkakkar@softmon:/home/mkakkar/ If I put a "/" after the Switches such that I get: scp -r /home/Mohit/Switches/ mkakkar@softmon:/home/mkakkar/ How does the behaviour change? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with SCP command

Hi, I have around 100 files which are aroun 10 MB in size and need to SCP all those files to another machine. Could you please suggest which way is efficient to do? 1. Gzip each file and transfer one by one. 2. Tar all the files together and then gzip it and send one HUGE file. Basicaly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp command and no response

I should trasfer some files by xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to local host. In order to check the function works i tried to transfer a single file and I typed: scp -P 21 username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/filename.nas /filename.nas At this point i haven't response anch i have to type CTRL+C to return to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreac81
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

scp command

if i use scp command to copy a file from one server another server it is asking password of the server from where the file being copied. i am automating some reports.. i need the file to be copied without asking the password. can any help me out??? thanks in advance, Arun Manas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in using scp command

Hi all, I want to copy files from unix server to another unix server with out any password. Can some one please explain me the steps involved in achieving this with the actual commands and the sequence of commands i details. I tried my luck ith below procedure but it was not working. #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: p2winzip
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with scp command

Can someone please help me with what is wrong with this command? scp oracle@hrkpd124:/u01/app/oracle/rdbms/admin/dpoo.html root@hrkpmgmt:/export my intention is to copy the file dopp.html from the server hrkpd124 to the server hrkpmgmt but i am getting the error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollypee
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp command

Hi, Is there any way by which scp shall not prompt for a password? When ever i fire scp command it should automatically move the files to the mentioned location without prompting for the password. Is it possible?:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp command help

I need one help. I want to copy specific folder/file from one Linux servers to another. I want scp command that will search the file/folder in given path of one server and copy that result on another remote server. Kindly help me to resolve issue Thanks and Regards, Rajesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nawrajesh
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

scp Command

I need a scp command that will connect remote server and find current date & last three days log files and bring them to local machine..Remote server is AIX and local machine is RHEL 6.3. I write below but its not working scp / @IP:/logs/ '{find . -mtime -2 -name "*.LOG"}' (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: micle
5 Replies
VOS_CHANGELOC(1)					       AFS Command Reference						  VOS_CHANGELOC(1)

NAME
vos_changeloc - Change a volume's entry in the VLDB SYNOPSIS
vos changeloc [-server] <new server name> [-partition] <new partition location> [-id] <volume name or ID> [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-verbose] [-encrypt] [-noresolve] [-help] vos changel [-s] <new server name> [-p] <new partition location> [-i] <volume name or ID> [-c <cell name>] [-noa] [-l] [-v] [-e] [-nor] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The vos changeloc command changes the location of a volume in the Volume Location Database (VLDB) without needing to contact the original file server on which the volume was hosted. This is useful when a file server has gone down permanently and the data that was stored on that server has been moved to a new file server with a different name and IP address (perhaps by mounting the same /vicepX partitions on a different host). After moving the data and running vos changeloc, run vos syncvldb and then vos syncserv against the new server to ensure full synchronization of the VLDB with the file server. In essence, vos changeloc performs the same operations on the VLDB as vos move, but it does NOT move the data from one server's file system to another. CAUTIONS
Using vos changeloc changes the VLDB without modifying the file server data, so it inherently causes the VLDB to be out of sync with the data on the servers. It should only be used when recovering from server failure. If the servers are on-line, vos move should be used instead. It is highly recommended that vos syncvldb and vos syncserv be run after using the vos changeloc command to ensure properly synchronization of the VLDB with the file servers. OPTIONS
vos changeloc takes the following options: -server <new server name> Specifies the new server where the VLDB should believe the volume resides. Provide the machine's IP address or its host name (either fully qualified or using an unambiguous abbreviation). For details, see vos(1). -partition <partition name> Specifies the partition where the VLDB should believe the volume resides. Provide the -server argument along with this one. Provide the partition's complete name with preceding slash (for example, "/vicepa") or use one of the three acceptable abbreviated forms. For details, see vos(1). -id <volume name or ID> Specifies the name or volume ID number on which to operate. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see vos(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see vos(1). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The vos command interpreter presents it to the Volume Server and Volume Location Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument or -noauth flag. For more details, see vos(1). -verbose Produces on the standard output stream a detailed trace of the command's execution. If this argument is omitted, only warnings and error messages appear. -encrypt Encrypts the command so that the operation's results are not transmitted across the network in clear text. This option is available in OpenAFS versions 1.4.11 or later and 1.5.60 or later. -noresolve Shows all servers as IP addresses instead of the DNS name. This is very useful when the server address is registered as 127.0.0.1 or when dealing with multi-homed servers. This option is available in OpenAFS versions 1.4.8 or later and 1.5.35 or later. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
vos changeloc shows a brief message upon completion: Changed location to server2 /vicepa for volume user.jdoe EXAMPLES
The following command changes the location of the "user.jdoe" volume to be /vicepa on the file server machine "server2" while being verbose: % vos changeloc server2 a user.jdoe -verbose done Changed location to server2 /vicepa for volume user.jdoe The following command changes the location of the "user.jdoe" volume to be /vicepa on "server1" without being verbose: % vos changeloc server1 a user.jdoe Changed location to server1 /vicepa for volume user.jdoe PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on each database server machine. If the -localauth flag is included, the issuer must instead be logged on to a server machine as the local superuser "root". SEE ALSO
vos(1), vos_move(1), vos_syncserv(1), vos_syncvldb(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 VOS_CHANGELOC(1)