Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ' ps v PPID' command and real memory Post 302240551 by otheus on Friday 26th of September 2008 04:10:25 AM
Old 09-26-2008
The RSS column is probably what you want. It's how much memory the program is using "in core". The SIZE column might also be what you want -- it's the amount of memory used by the process, including code, stack, heap, etc., whether or not it's in swap or in core.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Kernel use of real memory

Hello AIX gurues... In order to present the statistics of real memory usage I need to know how much real memory is used by the AIX 5L kernel. No the exact figures of course but some close to the reality. The AIX is running in a 7GB real machine, it has a HACMP configuration and my concern is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daniels
1 Replies

2. AIX

Strange Real Memory usage behavior

We have 2 Rs6000 S-85 Each initially had/have 6 processors and 8 GIG of RAM each Node 1 we added 14 processors and 32 GIG of RAM On May 19. (11 days ago) My memory utilization reporting for node 1 showed a spike in available memory 25-30GB for May 19 to 25 . I kind of expected this because I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the meaning of ppid 1?

Is there any meaning on parent process id when it is equal = 1? It is found that most of the ppid is lower than pid of the same process by 1 when perform ps -ef but notice that some process's ppid is 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkrainbow
2 Replies

4. Solaris

real memory consumption of a process

hi pmap, prstat and ps gives the RSS which is shared memory. I need to know the consumption of real memory. how to do that? thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

5. AIX

Real memory usage is reaching 99.99%

Hi i am new to aix , we are using aix 5.3 version and model is 510 and 520 model servers. in our servers contains 8 gb ram. but servers average ram usage is reaching 99.9% , can any body help on this , is any impact if memory usage reach 99.9%. Regards Balaji Poola (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balajipoola007
2 Replies

6. Solaris

why process PPID changes to 1

Hi All, I have just started using SUN Solaris o.s version is :SunOS spdwa013(my server name) 5.8 Generic_117350-61 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R My problem is that i have some processes running on that server they have a PID and a PPID. But sometimes the PPID for a particular process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shall I go for uid or ppid?

Hi Guys, I'd like to ask your advice on the following, I've written this script to terminate a given process by name: #!/bin/bash echo 'Please enter the process you wish to terminate' read process pid=$(pidof $process) kill -9 $pid echo $2 to make it safer I want it to reject the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lora Graham
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Name from PPID

Hi, I am currently trying to pin down a process NAME (could be a cron job or a tty) in Solaris. First I obtained a pid and then a ppid. I want to take the PPID and from there find the program/process that is making the VSH go high (cpu usage). I am currently trying to go up the chain using PS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troystevens
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

df -h command, can't seem to find real location

Hi, I need your help. I am at a new place, just trying to understand what's going on here. When I do df -h, I see many mounts. But most of them are automount, how do I find the real location? netappt1:/vol/homet2/sthan 1.7T 1.2T 527G 69% /home/sthan... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regarding real example of user of semicolon(;) and + in find/exec command.

Hello All, Was recently working on an requirement where we have to search files more than a specific number, following is the example on same. Let's say file names are test_40000.txt,test_40001.txt and so on till test_99999.txt. Now requirement was to search from find command only those... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
1 Replies
time(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   time(1)

Name
       time - time a command

Syntax
       time command
       /bin/time command

Description
       The  command  lets  the specified command execute and then outputs the amount of elapsed real time, the time spent in the operating system,
       and the time spent in execution of the command.	Times are reported in seconds and are written to standard error.

If you are using any shell except the C shell, you can give the command as shown on the first line of the Syntax section.  If you are using
       the  C shell, you must use the command's full pathname as shown on the second line of the Syntax section.  If you do not use the full path-
       name, will execute its own built-in command that supplies additional information and uses a different output format.

The command can be used to cause a command to be timed no matter how much CPU time it takes.  For example:
       % /bin/time cp /etc/rc /usr/bill/rc
	       0.1 real 	0.0 user	 0.0 sys
       % /bin/time nroff sample1 > sample1.nroff
	       3.6 real 	2.4 user	 1.2 sys
       This example indicates that the command used negligible amounts of user and system time and had an elapsed time of 1/10 second (0.1).   The
       command used 2.4 seconds of user time and 1.2 seconds of system time, and required 3.6 seconds of elapsed time.

Restrictions
       Times are measured to an accuracy of 1/10 second.  Thus, the sum of the user and system times can be larger than the elapsed time.

See Also
       csh(1)

time(1)