Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to get the IP address / Host name of client machine Post 302240211 by kumarmani on Thursday 25th of September 2008 07:36:13 AM
Old 09-25-2008
you can use last command to find the ip/hostname of system from which user is connected. the list is a bit long, so u can use
last <username> to get the details

Last edited by kumarmani; 09-25-2008 at 09:02 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Host IP address for a telnet session

I am using Tru64UX 5.1a on alphaserver 4100. Users access the application through Telnet sessions to this server. My requirement is to limit the users login through their PCs only. Is there any way I can accomplish this on the unix box ? I want to include a script in the .profile ( or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shauche
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Host ID vs MAC Address

Hi, I've got a Sun Solaris machine with host ID (840f8e57) and MAC address (0:14:4f:f:8e:57), how do I: 1. Write the MAC address in standard (IEEE 802) format, i.e. xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx? Do I need to add 0's before or after the 'f', i.e. 00-14-4f-0f-8e-57 or 00-14-4f-f0-8e-57? 2. What is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBlueSky
4 Replies

3. Programming

host name to IP address

There's a piece in a C program I'm writing (Linux) that simply needs to take a host name and return an IP address (e.g., take 'mail.gnu.org' and return 199.232.76.166). I've gotten a successful status from getaddrinfo, but don't see any of the fields in the result structure that has what I'm... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
7 Replies

4. Solaris

No value in Ethernet address and Host ID at Ok prompt

Hi All, In Ultra 10 at time system is not displaying value for Ethernet address and Host ID. Also, when i am trying to change the value of environment variables i am getting below message and value is not changing Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

5. Programming

get host name by IP address

I'm trying to write a function to get the host name of any given IP address. I'm trying to follow this manual but I'm stuck. I'm using gcc and Linux. Any ideas? getnameinfo() #include <stdio.h> #include <netdb.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> char... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Host ID in Solaris Machine

Hi, On doing reinstallation of Solaris 10 OS, does an existing host id change? Regards, Thiru (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nthiruvenkatam
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Host Machine not listed.

Hello everyone, I have a perl script to list all the host machines in my development environment. The script does various other tasks apart from listing the host names in an excel output. The problem is with the listing of host machines. The script lists all the host names except the host on which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmattam
1 Replies

8. Solaris

machine server and machine client

Hello, i need to create a communication between two machines solaris 2 installed in VM workstation; to begin with NFS and do these : Machine A : share -F nfs /opt and in Machine B : mount -F nfs machineA:/opt /mnt also share -F nfs -o rw=machineB /opt and in B mount -F nfs... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: herbich1985
0 Replies

9. IP Networking

IP address to host name conversion

hi, i want to get the hostname for the specified IP address. # host www.google.com www.google.com has address 173.194.69.104 www.google.com has address 173.194.69.105 www.google.com has address 173.194.69.106 www.google.com has address 173.194.69.147 www.google.com has address... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavitha rao
3 Replies

10. Linux

Unable to connect to Server machine from a client machine using ftp service

Hi, Could you please help me with the below issue.. I'm running RHEL6 OS on both server (192.168.0.10) and client machines (192.168.0.1). I'm trying to connect to server from the client machine using ftp service. I have installed vsftpd daemon on both the machines. I'm getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
4 Replies
ethers(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 ethers(3)

NAME
ethers, ether_ntoa, ether_aton, ether_ntohost, ether_hostton, ether_line - Ethernet address mapping operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <net/if.h> #include <netinet/in.h> #include <netinet/if_ether.h> char * ether_ntoa(e) struct ether_addr *e; struct ether_addr * ether_aton(s) char *s; ether_ntohost(hostname, e) char *hostname; struct ether_addr *e; ether_hostton(hostname, e) char *hostname; struct ether_addr *e; ether_line(l, e, hostname) char *l; struct ether_addr *e; char *hostname; Arguments The ether_addr structure is defined in <netinet/if_ether.h> DESCRIPTION
These routines are useful for mapping 48 bit Ethernet numbers to their ASCII representations or their corresponding host names, and vice versa. The mapping is obtained from the /etc/ethers database; see ethers(4). The function ether_ntoa() converts a 48 bit Ethernet number pointed to by e to its standard ACSII representation; it returns a pointer to the ASCII string. The representation is of the form: x : x : x :x : x : x Where x is a hexadecimal number between 0 and ff. The function ether_aton() converts an ASCII string in the standard representation back to a 48 bit Ethernet number; the function returns NULL if the string cannot be scanned successfully. The function ether_ntohost() maps an Ethernet number (pointed to by e ) to its associated hostname. The string pointed to by hostname must be long enough to hold the hostname and a NULL character. The function returns zero upon success and non-zero upon failure. Inversely, the function ether_hostton() maps a hostname string to its corresponding Ethernet number; the function modifies the Ethernet number pointed to by e. The function also returns zero upon success and non-zero upon failure. The function ether_line() scans a line (pointed to by l) and sets the hostname and the Ethernet number (pointed to by e). The string pointed to by hostname must be long enough to hold the hostname and a NULL character. The function returns zero upon success and non-zero upon failure. The format of the scanned line is described by ethers(4). FILES
Database that maps Ethernet addresses to hostnames RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: rarpd(8) Files: packetfilter(7), ethers(4) delim off ethers(3)