Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers alias command not working after re-login Post 302239559 by era on Wednesday 24th of September 2008 03:02:12 AM
Old 09-24-2008
If your login shell is not .cshrc, you should probably not use .cshrc for alias definitions. If your login shell is csh or a compatible, it should be reading your .cshrc. I advise against the suggestion by Subhendu. What does echo $SHELL say?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

CDE Remote Login is not Working !!!

Hi , I have SunBlade 150 Workstation (Solaris 9), I installed the OS again then when I try to login to any server using ( Options > Remote Login > Enter Host Name) after I entered any host name nothing happened just white page for 2 or 3 mintues then the login screen reseted to the local... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias not working in scripts

Hi All, PF below details, > cat run.sh #!/usr/bin/ksh alias ll="ls -l" > ./run.sh > ll ksh: ll: not found. Pls help on this? Thanks in Advance, Naga :cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Alias not working

Hello, I am trying to set an alias in my .kshrc or .profile and when I do it is not setting. If I do it manually it works fine. Is there another file I should put this in? Here is the alias I am using. alias ll='ls -ltr' I am using solaris 9. When I type alias it does not show these... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Simple question: alias not working for root

OS = Solaris 8 Issue: alias not working for root, but working for regular users # grep root /etc/passwd root:x:0:1:Super-User:/:/sbin/sh # alias dir=ls # dir dir: not found # alias dir="ls -l" # dir dir: not found # alias dir='ls -l' # dir dir: not found # alias... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp command not working with alias

Hi Friends, I have added some aliases in .bash_profile file under the root folder. Its works fine and very useful, but does not go well with cp command. alias deploy="cd /usr/local/tomcat/webapp" alias artifacts="cd /usr/local/artifacts" but when i try to cp from artifacts folder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashdeep
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

[SOLVED] How the alias is working?

Iam facing some strange issue with alias. I have an alias file in which i have created lot of aliases as given below. export BUILD_HOME=/apps/psr/build export DB_HOME=/apps/psr/database export LOGS_HOME=/apps/psr/logs export BUILD_TEST=/apps/psr/build_dev/build_test export... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikram_Tanwar12
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Alias not working

Hi, I'm on Solaris (SunOS wsp2cm01 5.10 Generic_150400-10 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200). Trying to set up an alias like below - alias grep="/usr/xpg4/bin/grep"but when I call grep in my command it ignores my alias & uses /usr/bin/grep instead. The problem with /usr/bin/grep is that it doesn't... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
24 Replies

8. Solaris

Alias is not working under Bourne Shell

Hi, Please assist me why HC alias is not working under this shell? root@singapore # grep HC /.profile alias HC='cd /var/tmp/HC/2015/`date +%B`' root@singapore # . /.profile Sourcing //.profile-EIS..... root@singapore # echo $HC root@singapore # HC HC: not found root@singapore # echo... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: tprabhu1983
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias not working

I have several shell scripts which contain the nawk command. Here is what i m doing assign the correct value to nawk as nawk is not found on a new systems. Here is what i did. more test.sh ] && alias nawk=/usr/bin/gawk ] && alias nawk=/usr/bin/nawk ] && alias nawk=/usr/bin/awk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Lost with this alias why it is not working

Hi, I have the following aliases: $: alias | grep "^du=" du='du -s * 2>/dev/null | awk '\''{ printf "%4.2f-KB ==> %s \n", $1/1024 , $2 }'\'' | sort -rn' $: alias | grep "^dutop10=" dutop10='du -s * 2>/dev/null | awk '\''{ printf "%4.2f-KB ==> %s \n", $1/1024 , $2 }'\'' | sort -rn | head... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
resize(1X)							     MIT X11R4								resize(1X)

Name
       resize - utility to set TERMCAP and terminal settings to current window size

Syntax
       resize [-u] [-s [row col]]

Description
       The  uitility  prints  a  shell command for setting the TERM and TERMCAP environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm window
       from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command  line  (usually  done
       with  a	shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the
       following alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc:

% alias rs 'set noglob; `eval resize`'

After resizing the window, the user would type:

% rs

Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that do not have command functions will need to send the output to a  tem-
       porary file and the read it back in with the ``.'' command:

$ resize >/tmp/out
	   $ . /tmp/out

Options
       The following options may be used with resize:

-u      This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell is not /bin/sh.

-c      This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell is not /bin/csh.

-s [rows columns]
	       This option indicates that the Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the special xterm escape code. If rows and col-
	       umns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change.

Restrictions
       The -u or -c must appear to the left of -s if both are specified.

There should be some global notion of display size; termcap and terminfo need to be rethought in the context of window systems.	(Fixed	in
       4.3BSD, and ULTRIX-32 1.2)

Files
       For the base termcap entry to modify.

User's alias for the command.

See Also
       csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1X)

resize(1X)